A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 296,745
Currently Running With Scissors:
568 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: glass and solder photo pendant  (Read 5889 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

bruisedfruit

still sweet and delicious

View Profile
« on: May 11, 2005 07:51:27 AM »

I've been obsessed with making these photo pendants recently. This is one of a friend's dog. I've also done children and wedding photos. It measures about 1 inch across.

« Last Edit: December 15, 2010 12:13:35 PM by TheSapphireMoon » THIS ROCKS   Logged

sunt lacrimae rerum...
rackycoo
Global Moderator
Swap Moderator
Paper Crafts, Scrapbooking, and ATCs Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Member of the Papercraft Gang

"Best of 2013" Winner; too lazy to change avatar.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2005 08:07:16 AM »

OK, that's just too wonderful. I would love to have one of those with my dog's photo in it! What a great job you did!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Like it? Check out my newly re-opened Etsy shop. Scary Toys and Halloween for everyone!
My blog: junk&stuff
Pinterest
princessandthebead
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2005 08:14:30 AM »

I LOVE that!!  What a unique gift!!  Wanna tell us how ya did it???
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have a Sharpie addiction.  eemmm...In Fact, I am the President of the Sharpie relocation program. 
Newest addiction....PINCUS HIONS!!
I love personal swaps!

My wist:  http://www.wists.com/princessandthebead

I collect business cards and would LOVE to add yours to my collection!  Email me!
dandylionfluff
sarah brown

making things is what I do :)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2005 08:17:04 AM »

how cute!!!
what kind of solder did you use?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Love love love la la love makes the world go round <3
bruisedfruit

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2005 08:24:35 AM »

Thanks for your compliments!

It's a simple technique of sandwiching a photo/collage between two sheets of clear glass, then wrapping with copper foil and soldering. Basic stained glass techniques and supplies needed.  For ease, I use microscope slides cut in half and I always use lead free solder when making something that could touch the skin.

Any photo can be used to make these, just manipulate in Photoshop or like program. My fav thing to do is to put the photo on the front, then put a quote, date, short poem on the back.

I can't take credit for this idea. My inspiration came from this site. Some of those pendants are truly a work of art.

http://www.art-e-zine.co.uk/cp.html

THIS ROCKS   Logged

sunt lacrimae rerum...
spillyjane
the jane of yr dreams

you can't take me nowhere

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2005 02:35:23 PM »

very nice!  it has a wonderful vintage look to it!  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

visit my knitblog, SpillyJane Knits at http://spillyjane.blogspot.com.
rocketlettuce

my mommy is craftier than yer mommy! rice pudding!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2005 08:01:16 PM »

that is really nice. you should totally sell those at a boutique or something. i say that because i assembled something similar w/ a sterling silver photo charm on a black thong w/ a nice SS closure. they sold like hotcakes at a baby boutique in my 'hood. now i can't get the charms anymore. could you make it so that anyone could slip a photo in? anyway, nice job!

also, how hard is the copper foil/solder part? i've never done stained glass. not that i need another project!!!

THIS ROCKS   Logged
damaged_paperdoll
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2005 09:10:28 PM »

Great job!  I've been wanting to do one of these for ages.  I finally got all the supples tonight.  Did you use flux at all?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

damaged_paperdoll
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2005 08:30:21 PM »

Also, how did you get the solder so flat and neat?  The soldering iron I used tonight doesn't have a temperature gage and I think it was either too hot or I was using too much solder.  They didn't come out well at all.  Any tips from you would be most appreciated!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

bruisedfruit

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2005 06:56:19 AM »

I have considered trying to sell these charms, but I'm not sure how to go about it, since they're all custom pieces. I have yet to figure out a way to make the photos interchangable.
They're not at all difficult to make. The copper foil method is simple, even for someone who's never tackled stained glass. I've seen similar pendants sold for around 15 dollars each, which isn't bad, considering about 20-30 minutes labor and minimal material costs.

damaged_paperdoll: I'm sorry to hear that your first attempt didn't turn out well. It's tricky to get the solder smooth. I have certainly pitched a few of my less successful attempts. Practice will really help. This doggy was one of my first tries and my soldering has gotten much smoother and quicker even since then.
My soldering iron doesn't have a temperature gauge either, so I just use a very light touch, working just one side at a time. Sweep lightly from one corner to the other, moving around the piece. Then turn it over and do the same thing for the back side. My best advice is to work quickly and then let the piece cool before you do any touch-ups. They get hot very fast and then you risk melting off all your solder and even ruining the adhesive on the foil.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sunt lacrimae rerum...
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Chef Creates One-Of-A-Kind Cheesecakes
How to Make Caramel
How to Make French Macarons
How to Make Lemon Curd
How to Make an Easy Key Lime Pie
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...