A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 299,158
Currently Running With Scissors:
473 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: My first EVERYTHING cake!  (Read 4606 times)
Tags for this thread: cake , fondant , ganache  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Mableheartscharlie
« on: June 07, 2010 10:44:46 PM »

So after some Craftster creeping, countless hours of Ace of Cakes watching (NOT Cake Boss tyvm) and psyching myself up I made this cake. It's my first time with fondant, butter cream, chocolate piping, making a filling and carving a cake... pretty much the only thing I made before was the actual cake as it came from a box (Didn't want to risk the actual cake tasting bad if I failed at decorating it haha).

The Back Story:
It was my friends birthday and she was having a sizable shindig of a birthday and she was paying for all the food herself (!!!) so I volunteered making a cake. I didn't want to fuss with transporting layers (I live out of town and I didn't know if I was taking a bus) and so I thought a stable one layer would be best. Paula (The birthday girl) loves to surf so I thought that would gnarly!

The Construction:
 I made the ganache filling earlier in the week using this recipe http://www.recipezaar.com/recipe/Whipped-Chocolate-Ganache-Filling-or-Frosting-106954 cause it said I could finish it later. I also made the marshmellow fondant earlier in the week too..YAY Riverwatson! For the actual cake I used 3 boxes of cake mix and divided them equally and used 2 9x13 pans (well the same one twice haha) used one in the middle and carved out the shapes for the front and back using cardboard templates I sketched out. When it was time to cover the cake I added my colour to my pre-made fondant, I used the Wilton Garden Tone 4 Icing colour in Delphinium Blue.... SO MUCH KNEADING! NEVER AGAIN! I only used that instead of the gel everyone raves about because I had them in my cupboard. Then on to the piping basically found an image of a couple hibiscus flowers and used the "Hawaii Lover" font from dafont.com for the script and free handed the fins (I realize they are a tad too big for the scale of the board but meh it's more chocolate haha) here's a closer shot of the chocolate. It says "Happy Birthday Sweet P" and sadly the chocolate bloomed a bit when I wet down the fondant to stick it on:

And yeah I garnished with a couple shells I had around the house and some flowers from a fake lei (I gave Paula a matching one to wear at the party Smiley ) and the 'sand' is actually ground up sugar and cinnamon! I lucked out and found like a pepper mill that had them both in it at the dollar store! I used 2 mills and it made my hands raw turning the blasted thing I had to enlist a friend to help! haha and yeah the birthday girl LOVED it and it was the talk of the party I'm really pleased with it for a first attempt   Grin

Here she is again and if you have any questions, comments, critiques I would be glad to hear them!

« Last Edit: June 07, 2010 10:46:27 PM by Mableheartscharlie » THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm one crafty bitch.
Cuttie_2008
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2010 11:15:14 PM »

That is AWESOME! Cheesy I would be so honored to have a cake like that! What a terrific job for the first time with everything  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my infantile blog! http://juliadawn.blog.com/
sophieangele
Two-headed girl

lacing fingers through the notches of your spine

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2010 01:33:48 AM »

Wow, very ambitious for your first project with cakes, and it turned out great! I'm glad you're friend liked it too. Keep on baking Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

christian_cowgirlGSR
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2010 08:33:40 AM »

Fantastic job on the cake!  Very impressive for your first cake! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

See more of my projects on etsy:  http://www.etsy.com/shop/SissysSewingAndSuch
ADoseOfMee
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2010 02:25:26 PM »

Great job!  I love your sugar and cinnamon sand.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My blog:  ADoseOfMee
Greg.Matta
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2010 07:50:58 AM »

I thought that sand was real when I first looked at it. good work
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Mableheartscharlie
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2010 09:36:55 AM »

Thanks for the kind words everyone!  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm one crafty bitch.
slothmuffin
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2010 06:25:51 PM »

Everything about this is completely amazing!  (And the sand, OMG.  I thought it was real sand at first, too.  What a cool idea---sorry about the pepper mill injuries, though!)  I'm a big Ace of Cakes fan, too, but I haven't ventured to try my own shaped-and-decorated cake yet.  You did a stellar job on this one.  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ratINcat
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2010 09:13:29 PM »

Sweet cake from a super sweet friend! Lovely cake you have made there =) I totally thought the sand was real too! GJ!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sophieangele
Two-headed girl

lacing fingers through the notches of your spine

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2010 01:16:11 PM »

Congratulations on being featured for Foodie Friday!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Aitor Throup: New Object Research 2013
Kai Lenny Style Challenge: The Suit Fitting
Behind the Scenes of Kai Lenny Style Challenge
Look Alive in a Sea of Sharks
The Sixties Make a Comeback in 2013
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Japanese Shibori Dyeing
@Home This Weekend: Embellished Guest Towels
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hostess Gift

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...