A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 296,759
Currently Running With Scissors:
589 Guests and 26 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: My first EVERYTHING cake!  (Read 4111 times)
Tags for this thread: cake , fondant , ganache  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Mableheartscharlie
« on: June 07, 2010 10:44:46 PM »

So after some Craftster creeping, countless hours of Ace of Cakes watching (NOT Cake Boss tyvm) and psyching myself up I made this cake. It's my first time with fondant, butter cream, chocolate piping, making a filling and carving a cake... pretty much the only thing I made before was the actual cake as it came from a box (Didn't want to risk the actual cake tasting bad if I failed at decorating it haha).

The Back Story:
It was my friends birthday and she was having a sizable shindig of a birthday and she was paying for all the food herself (!!!) so I volunteered making a cake. I didn't want to fuss with transporting layers (I live out of town and I didn't know if I was taking a bus) and so I thought a stable one layer would be best. Paula (The birthday girl) loves to surf so I thought that would gnarly!

The Construction:
 I made the ganache filling earlier in the week using this recipe http://www.recipezaar.com/recipe/Whipped-Chocolate-Ganache-Filling-or-Frosting-106954 cause it said I could finish it later. I also made the marshmellow fondant earlier in the week too..YAY Riverwatson! For the actual cake I used 3 boxes of cake mix and divided them equally and used 2 9x13 pans (well the same one twice haha) used one in the middle and carved out the shapes for the front and back using cardboard templates I sketched out. When it was time to cover the cake I added my colour to my pre-made fondant, I used the Wilton Garden Tone 4 Icing colour in Delphinium Blue.... SO MUCH KNEADING! NEVER AGAIN! I only used that instead of the gel everyone raves about because I had them in my cupboard. Then on to the piping basically found an image of a couple hibiscus flowers and used the "Hawaii Lover" font from dafont.com for the script and free handed the fins (I realize they are a tad too big for the scale of the board but meh it's more chocolate haha) here's a closer shot of the chocolate. It says "Happy Birthday Sweet P" and sadly the chocolate bloomed a bit when I wet down the fondant to stick it on:

And yeah I garnished with a couple shells I had around the house and some flowers from a fake lei (I gave Paula a matching one to wear at the party Smiley ) and the 'sand' is actually ground up sugar and cinnamon! I lucked out and found like a pepper mill that had them both in it at the dollar store! I used 2 mills and it made my hands raw turning the blasted thing I had to enlist a friend to help! haha and yeah the birthday girl LOVED it and it was the talk of the party I'm really pleased with it for a first attempt   Grin

Here she is again and if you have any questions, comments, critiques I would be glad to hear them!

« Last Edit: June 07, 2010 10:46:27 PM by Mableheartscharlie » THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm one crafty bitch.
Cuttie_2008
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2010 11:15:14 PM »

That is AWESOME! Cheesy I would be so honored to have a cake like that! What a terrific job for the first time with everything  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my infantile blog! http://juliadawn.blog.com/
sophieangele
Two-headed girl

lacing fingers through the notches of your spine

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2010 01:33:48 AM »

Wow, very ambitious for your first project with cakes, and it turned out great! I'm glad you're friend liked it too. Keep on baking Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

christian_cowgirlGSR
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2010 08:33:40 AM »

Fantastic job on the cake!  Very impressive for your first cake! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

See more of my projects on etsy:  http://www.etsy.com/shop/SissysSewingAndSuch
ADoseOfMee
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2010 02:25:26 PM »

Great job!  I love your sugar and cinnamon sand.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My blog:  ADoseOfMee
Greg.Matta
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2010 07:50:58 AM »

I thought that sand was real when I first looked at it. good work
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Mableheartscharlie
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2010 09:36:55 AM »

Thanks for the kind words everyone!  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm one crafty bitch.
slothmuffin
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2010 06:25:51 PM »

Everything about this is completely amazing!  (And the sand, OMG.  I thought it was real sand at first, too.  What a cool idea---sorry about the pepper mill injuries, though!)  I'm a big Ace of Cakes fan, too, but I haven't ventured to try my own shaped-and-decorated cake yet.  You did a stellar job on this one.  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ratINcat
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2010 09:13:29 PM »

Sweet cake from a super sweet friend! Lovely cake you have made there =) I totally thought the sand was real too! GJ!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sophieangele
Two-headed girl

lacing fingers through the notches of your spine

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2010 01:16:11 PM »

Congratulations on being featured for Foodie Friday!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
5 Women Take Off Their Makeup for the Whole World to See
How to Get Your Beauty Routine in Shape for the New Year
Best and Worst Beauty Trends of 2013
How To: A Punk Hairstyle You Can Easily Rock
Nicole Scherzinger Makeup Look Tutorial
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Quick and Easy Organizer
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...