A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 299,134
Currently Running With Scissors:
723 Guests and 15 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Monopoly Jr. Storage Set: Dresser and Box  (Read 14057 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

bookwyrmhole

Crafts can't keep me busy all the time!

View Profile
« on: June 07, 2010 08:55:45 PM »

Feel free to skip ahead to the pictures.

I initially didn't plan on entering this challenge since I didn't have any ideas. Then I had an idea, but it required a Monopoly game, which I couldn't find in a whole day of garage-saling. Finally found a Monopoly Jr. game at the thrift store and decided it would suffice. Looking at the finished product, I actually think it worked better.

I wanted to make a storage dresser thing, and am happy to say I succeeded. First some in progress pics, but there are more finished pics at the bottom.

My raw materials. Standard game. Chance cards, money, houses, board, box and car movers. My version didn't have a dice though.

I started by murdering my game board with a utility knife, which is now my best friend. One group of pieces would eventually become drawer fronts and the long door on the finished dresser. The four corner pieces became the lid of my box. The other two pieces (with the railroads) will eventually become a second, two-drawer dresser, but I ran out of time. (That is what a Friday morning epiphany will do)

I made a structure for the drawer stack and the actual drawers out of some lightweight cardboard I had lying around. Craft glue is also my new best friend.

I then made a box that would be the space behind the Chance door. Before I glued it completely together and to the dresser stack I papered the inside of it with money. This is probably my favorite part of the finished product.

One side of the finished dresser. This is made of about half of the board and a monopoly logo from the side of the box. The awesome red trim is this really cool vinyl tape that I found in my garage. Also my new best friend.

The other side of the finished dresser, made of the other half of the board and another Monopoly logo.

The top of the dresser is tiled with Chance cards, but only the ones with good pictures. And more red tape.

The front of the dresser. I tried really hard to get the drawer fronts to lie flush, and am very pleased to say that I succeeded. And the door stays closed. I also made sure to color all of my raw cardboard edges with a Sharpie or cover them with tape. I'd like to think that the finished product is really clean with nice straight edges. You can also see my drawer pulls made of the little houses. I like that part a lot too.

Another view of the finished dresser, to show that the drawers actually work. I'm saving the best one for last. Note to self: remove unsightly masking tape after glue dries before taking pictures.

The finished box. I was thinking of making the corner pieces into doors on another dresser, but I liked the way they fit together so much that I used them that way instead. And I love that the game instructions are on the inside.

Last picture, I promise. This shows the awesome money-paper on the inside of the door and in all the drawers. Also note the Monopoly logo on the inside of the drawer. Now to explain my favorite (and nerdy) part ever. The drawers were arranged from largest to smallest, bottom to top. This just happened to also correspond with the prices of the properties on each drawer, $4, $3, $2, and $1, again from bottom to top. I then randomly glued houses on each piece. When I started to line the drawers with money, I realized that the $4 money was green, totally matching the bottom drawer! The same happened with the next two. The top drawer isn't as cool because there isn't any red money, but I think white goes just fine with the red house. It was a very happy accident.

Once I finish the second dresser, I will have used nearly everything included in the game. There is none of the board left and most of the box will be used up. Probably will have some leftover houses. jewelry maybe...

Hope you guys like it, C&C appreciated and asked for! I'll be sure to update when I finish the second dresser.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2010 09:05:05 PM by bookwyrmhole » THIS ROCKS   Logged

I find that crafts are very good time wasters. If they aren't for you, then you are one of those rare individuals who know what you're doing!
ms_wu
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2010 09:21:58 PM »

Wow that is hugely awesome, and I love the drawer organization too, and the fact that the whole set got used up!  This is beautiful and your photos are sharp.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Twitch Wench

I am sporadic movement.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2010 10:30:38 PM »

This is awesome!  Very well done!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I stopped fighting my inner demons.  We're on the same side now.
elucidation
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2010 01:54:33 AM »

oh my days, that's brilliant!
I really love the idea of lining it with the notes- looks great Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lizefd
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2010 10:46:09 AM »

i love it.  you should definetly make something with the extra houses so you can put it in the drawers!  great job.  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
PixieVal
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

There is no right or wrong, when it comes to making art. Making sure that you have fun is the most important part. -Mickey Mouse

Did he just go crazy and fall asleep?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2010 11:06:55 AM »

Oh I love this! This would make such a fun dresser set for a poppet or other doll. You're brilliant!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
tlh878
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2010 01:16:59 PM »

This is a great dresser. 

What is the finished size?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
bookwyrmhole

Crafts can't keep me busy all the time!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2010 04:13:25 PM »

The finished size is roughly 7.75" high, 7.5" wide and 6.5" deep for the dresser. The box is 5.75" by 4.5" and is 1.75" deep. My dad kept walking in and saying it was bigger than he expected.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I find that crafts are very good time wasters. If they aren't for you, then you are one of those rare individuals who know what you're doing!
Buffy5x5
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2010 05:47:44 PM »

Freaking awesome!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
HippieCricket
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2010 09:47:26 AM »

This is awesome! Love it!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"HOLY JUMPING JELLYFISH, BATMAN!"
Robin
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Peter Akinti Talks About Forest Gate
Author Adena Halpern Reveals Her Favorite Movies
Author Peter Lerangis Offers Some Advice for Aspiring Writers
Rabbi Zoe Klein Talks About the Judaism
Ann Pearlman Talks About Her Book the Cookie Club
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hostess Gift
Handmade Gift Ideas: Mini Book Jewelry
Handmade Gift Ideas: Bunny Travel Pillow

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...