A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 302,600
Currently Running With Scissors:
716 Guests and 22 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: MA question  (Read 711 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

ibelongtoneil
« on: May 11, 2005 05:37:41 AM »

So my fiance and I have this dream of moving up north and having a little fiber farm.  We've looked into several places and the cost of living in western MA is about like it is here. (We're from southern IN)  Anyway, where's a good area to move to?
P.S.  Yeah I know this isn't craft related, sorry.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kmsmaverick
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2005 06:00:48 AM »

well, if cost of living is a concern, the western part of the state might be more economical. the housing prices in massachusets in general are in the stratosphere, in the metrowest (around I-495) and eastern part (boston and it's suburbs) of the state the house prices simply boggle the mind.

the job market is a bit better in the eastern part, simply because the city is there. there are good jobs to be had in worcester and springfield too, but as you can imagine, boston is the capital, so it's got more.

as for the lifestyle, the western part of the state is not so densely populated as the east, so there are the good things that go along with it, and the bad. there is much more open space, so it's less frenetic, but you'll need a car because everything will be more spread out. 

as for craftiness, i'm not sure if the west or the east are more crafty than the other or less crafty, but the style i think might be a bit different. the east is urban, so the craftiness tends to be more like that- lots of metal and iconistic and flash. while in the  413 area code the lifestyle is not so urban, and the crafts reflect that.

I'm in central mass, and i get a bit of both. we have farms in hudson, and we have all night pizza joints too. my town is really great- close to 495, 290 and the pike (the massachusetts turnpike), yet far enough from the city that we can leave the windows open at night.

one last bit of info- you can get the sox on NESN, and on friday nights they're on upn38!

: )
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craft Addict

"She's crafty- and she's just my type"

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2005 07:14:39 AM »

Personally I wouldn't recommend WMass as I live here and am looking forward to moving out this summer but if it's a farm that you want, Central Mass or out here is where you want to be.  As Kmsmaverick pointed out, real estate is very expensive in the Eastern part.  As for land for a farm, I can't even imagine how much that would cost.  The Northampton/Amherst area is nice, I'd say it's probably the craftiest place in the area as well as safer/cleaner than Springfield or Holyoke.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sweetpeahandcrafts
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2005 08:23:42 AM »

I lived in W. Mass for years, and I went to college there; the odds of you finding a farm are definitely better there or in central Mass.  Eastern Mass. is far more densely populated (it's where I live now).  It's certainly hipper (excepting Northampton/Amherst, the west is, shall we say, country-style) so if your crafting has anything to do with where you are moving, you'll want to keep that in mind.  And you'll definitely need a car.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Purses, Retro Aprons and Other Accessories!
www.sweetpeahandcra fts.com
Messily

do something pretty while you can

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2005 08:39:25 AM »

Northampton/Amherst is definitely your starting point.  It's very artsy and small-town and gorgeous.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make the Perfect Pavlova for Sauvignon Blanc
How to Make the Perfect Hand Pie
Cranberry-Apple Biscuit Pies Recipe
How to Make Old Fashioned Peanut Butter Cookies
Carrot Cake Cookie Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...