A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,060
Currently Running With Scissors:
485 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: medley of natural dyes  (Read 831 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

ptarmic wumpus
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

You are in room 2

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: June 07, 2010 06:49:47 PM »

I found a bunch of natural dyestuffs in the back of my closet, decided it was time to use them up. The 5lb bag of alum is going to take some work, but there were also some other things.

http://decapod.home.silentsong.net/ndye1.jpg [edited to change broken image to link]
Clockwise from the top left:
rhubarb leaves (mordant and dye);
brazilwood with alum;
turmeric in two strengths, with alum;
brazilwood with rhubarb mordant, two strengths.

I read that rhubarb leaves can be used as a mordant, and since I have some big rhubarb plants that make tasty pies (and also took some wind damage resulting in broken stems), I picked a bunch of giant leaves, ripped them up, soaked them in water overnight in my Big Pot, simmered  for a few hours, then strained out the liquid.  I mordanted a bunch of fiber in this mix. The pale yellow color is the fiber after mordanting only - it has darkened somewhat, being originally a pale butter color.  I also separated mordanted some fiber in alum.

For the brazilwood, I started with an extracted bath from brazilwood sticks. The alum mordanted wool went into this one. There was still some color in the bath when I took the alum mordanted wool out, so I put in the paler of the two rhubarb mordanted fiber-blobs to exhaust the bath. I liked the peach color, so I put the brazilwood sticks back into the bath at this point to re-extract some dye, then dyed the darker of the rhubarb-brazilwood fibers in the bath.

The turmeric fibers were both pre-mordanted in alum. I used an old container of turmeric, simmered it in the bath, then added in the fiber without straining. These were hard to rinse out (I felt with fibers, so I don't mind as much if there is some felting during the dye process).

In the disaster category, I found some aqueous annatto extract at the asian market, and decided to try it. Unfortunately, I forgot that I had put tartaric acid in the bath, and the extract immediately turned into a rubbery substance in the acid dye bath. I'm going to try again with another bottle and a neutral bath to see what happens (the stuff was super cheap, and pre-extracted!).

Also found a bag of walnut crystals in the closet. I overdyed this pale pink yarn to a medium tan with alum mordant:
http://decapod.home.silentsong.net/ndye2.jpg [edited to change broken image to link]
After this bath, I tried to exhaust the bath with some fiber, but the dye split into a sludgy lower layer and a clear upper layer in the pot, and it didn't turn out so well.

Future plans:
henna
young coconut husk
annatto round 2
random garden waste
« Last Edit: November 03, 2013 09:42:24 PM by sweets4ever » THIS ROCKS   Logged

WMA
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2010 08:48:31 PM »

Oooo...pretty colors! Thanks for sharing the pics and processes!

Have you ever tried dyeing with irises?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

nikschaf
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2010 01:55:30 PM »

wow -- that rhubarb amazes me.  I love seeing how the natural dyes turn out, because the colors are never what I would have guessed they would be.  Thanks for including the info about which dyes you used!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Use a Palette Knife to Apply Oil Paint
How to Paint on Paper with Oils
How to Improve Your Oil Painting Skills
How to Create Different Textures with Oil Paints
How to Face Paint a Union Jack Flag
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight On: Amigurumi
Mr X Stitch Presents: The Cutting (& Stitching) Edge - Karen Casper
Tute Tuesday: Wooden Chain

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...