A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 297,215
Currently Running With Scissors:
643 Guests and 21 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: excellent first sweater  (Read 11067 times)
Tags for this thread: sweater , featured_project  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

lindsycarranza

Be yourself, everyone else is already taken.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2010 08:52:18 PM »

That IS GORGEOUS!!!! And it's your first??!?!?! WOW! Man seeing stuff likes this makes me really wish I know how to knit or crochet.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Okay so once again I am completely redoing my pictures. Got tired of photobucket, the only reason I used it was for here so I decided I will just use Craftster's photo uploader. So while I am switching over my photo links will be broken. Message me if there is a post you would like the pics for.
Arbitraryorange
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2010 10:42:36 PM »

It's amazing.  The fit is excellent, the stitch is interesting and all in all it's very impressive, especially for a first timer.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kjlutz
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I am woman watch me grow!

Wherever you've been, He's been there

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2010 06:00:19 AM »

What a beatiful sweater.

What stitch pattern did you use?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sometimes you get to change the world, and other times the world changes you.

Currently drowning in the sea called PhD.

Interested in swapping for I-Spy Quilt Squares and Scraps.
oddmoongirl
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2010 07:27:13 AM »

First off super happy that everyone enjoys the sweeter and thanks for all the questions and comments you guys rock!

Answers:
What stitch pattern did you use?
What stitch is it? 

The stitch is called a Key Tab Stitch I found it in "basic crochet stitches" by Erika Knight. If you can't find the book just ask and I'll try and make you a video or something. As far as fancy stitches go it is pretty simple to do!

That IS GORGEOUS!!!! And it's your first??!?!?! WOW! Man seeing stuff likes this makes me really wish I know how to knit or crochet.

I am super pumped about your enthusiasm!!!! You should join the awesome  crocheting hysteria! This is my first sweeter but I have been I have made quite a few hats (which could be an excellent first project for you!) and such.

Is it all one piece or is it seamed?  What weight of yarn/hook size did you use?

It's all one piece, yay no seams! I used this yarn http://www.naturallycaron.com/shade_cards/country_sh.html it is awesome and I got it on sale! I am kind of a ghetto hobo crocheter when it comes to the finer points of jargin but I think the yarn is 3 oz / 85 g and the hook is E. hope this helps!

How long did it take?!
I can never sleep without finishing whatever I'm crocheting. I must be crazy.

Well I started the bad boy at the end of january and the preceded to not look at it till this week. But if you combine the time of actual crocheting it is probably something like a week and a half of intense crocheting glory. Sadly I don't think you could do it in one night unless you have some super skills hidden in your back pocket so I say try it anyways!

If you would be willing to write up a pattern I think myself and others would be interested! Smiley
Sadly my pattern writing skills are a little sketchy and not quite up to par but as a consolation I made this ghetto pattern that is more of a guideline type thing. it may be easier to see if you print it out!

Hope it helps! If you have any questions about it I'll be sure to try and do some problem solving!

HOW'D YOU DO THAT!???!?!?!  It's absolutely adorable.  *drool*
We call it mad skills.... and far to much free time....

So, if you had no pattern, is there a trick to it?  Any tips for someone else wanting to partake in a similar activity?

Well first off I just wrote up a ghetto pattern so that is a good place to start. Some of my little tips of wisdom for free handing it are the following:
1. Find a piece of clothing you already like and look at it for ideas.
2. Get more yarn than you think you will need. It is always better to have a matching hat than half a sleeve.
3. Don't be afraid to take the thing apart if it does not look right. I could have made 2 sweaters in the time it took me to make this one cause I kept refining the sweater
4. Buy nice yarn. I know I hate shelling out the cash but if you don't like the yarn you won't want to wear it.
5. Do your research: even if you don't have a pattern you can find inspiration by looking at other sweaters you like. Also look up new stitches; they can really make something look unique. I like the book " Basic Crochet Stitches" by Erika Knight but there are tones on the internet too!
Thanks for taking an interest! I am a really big fan of patternless creations and I bet you can bust out something fabulous as well!

Thanks everyone again! Feel free to ask more questions and of course comment and recommend this to others!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

check out the etsy: http://www.etsy.com/shop/inexplicable
Check out the crochet blog: http://hooktacular.blogspot.com/
shelayla82
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2010 11:29:12 AM »

Awesome job!  I'm super impressed and jealous that you made this patternless.  Crazy mad skills at their best!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
wewilltaketothesea
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2010 11:31:50 AM »

Wow- that is your first sweater?! I am so impressed! You must be a natural   Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

gekkogirl
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2010 11:46:03 AM »

This is truly lovely. as a newbie crochetter (!) how many balls of this wool did you use? I'm never sure how much to buy.... Smiley. Thanks for ghetto pattern- I'm gonna try!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
oddmoongirl
« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2010 12:37:29 PM »

This is truly lovely. as a newbie crochetter (!) how many balls of this wool did you use? I'm never sure how much to buy.... Smiley. Thanks for ghetto pattern- I'm gonna try!

I'm excited that you are trying it out! I used eight balls of yarn and I fit into a S/M for shirts. I hope your sweater turns out nice!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

check out the etsy: http://www.etsy.com/shop/inexplicable
Check out the crochet blog: http://hooktacular.blogspot.com/
kirsa
« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2010 02:06:11 PM »

2. Get more yarn than you think you will need. It is always better to have a matching hat than half a sleeve.

lol, Awesome.  Great advice.  Thanks for all the answers!  I'm going to have to go find that stitch in my copy of that book.  And then, someday, when I can afford to buy more yarn, I think I will try to make my own!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sprinklez
« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2010 04:51:04 PM »

It's lovely! Has anyone ever told you that you look like Velma from scooby doo? Especially with the orange sweater!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
AOL Motion Canvas: Landscape
AOL Motion Canvas: Future Art
AOL Motion Canvas: Wood Sphere
AOL Motion Canvas: Animated Geo
AOL Motion Canvas: Tops Above
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Molded Hot Glue
More Amazing Matchboxes
Meatless Monday: Pumpkin Spice Latte

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...