A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,080
Currently Running With Scissors:
795 Guests and 25 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: excellent first sweater  (Read 10456 times)
Tags for this thread: sweater , featured_project  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

oddmoongirl
« on: June 07, 2010 05:49:51 PM »

So the crocheting saga continues with the creation of my first sweater! I know that sweaters may be a little out of season but I started it when it was in season. Then I proceeded to forget about it till this week when I busted out some mad skills and finished the bad boy. I hope you enjoy this crazy patternless sweater garb.

Front

Back

questions? comment? I'm interested and willing to help!

*lots of questions were answered in page 2 of the post. Also a ghetto pattern was added!
« Last Edit: June 18, 2010 06:55:01 AM by fantasticmio - Reason: added direct link to post with pattern » THIS ROCKS   Logged

check out the etsy: http://www.etsy.com/shop/inexplicable
Check out the crochet blog: http://hooktacular.blogspot.com/
Sarah_
Can't cook.

Sew lost.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2010 05:59:18 PM »

WOW, that's your first sweater?! That's amazing.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

You're just closer to me when you fall.
veggiechef
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2010 06:19:00 PM »

Mad skills indeed!  This rocks   Grin Cool Grin

So, if you had no pattern, is there a trick to it?  Any tips for someone else wanting to partake in a similar activity?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

BE the change you wish to see in the world-Gandhi
insane_aktor
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2010 06:53:49 PM »

HOW'D YOU DO THAT!???!?!?!  It's absolutely adorable.  *drool*
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I wish i was a glow worm
A glow worm's never glum
Cause how could you be grumpy
When the sun shines out your bum!

http://wists.com/insane_aktor
SierraPapaCharlie

Be more awesome.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2010 07:09:04 PM »

That is beautiful. I love the color and the fit looks great. I'm just kind of in awe.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am convinced that the only people worthy of consideration in this world are the unusual ones. For the common folks are like the leaves of a tree, and live and die unnoticed. L. Frank Baum

http://sierrapapacharlie.wordpress.com

http://www.wists.com/sierrapapacharlie
Cheriepea
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2010 07:34:20 PM »

Ooooo really nice job! Really pretty color on you too Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

LoveNTheOcean
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2010 08:02:29 PM »

Holy jesus....that is amazing.  Shocked
I crochet hats...that's about it. Lol.
I want to sew sweaters for winter..I better start now. Ugh.
How long did it take?!
I can never sleep without finishing whatever I'm crocheting. I must be crazy.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
envirocraft
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2010 08:05:43 PM »

Love the color and the sweater itself.  If you would be willing to write up a pattern I think myself and others would be interested! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

50 Crafts in 2010 27/50 http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=332114.msg3973417#msg3973417

http://envirocraftiness.blogspot.com/
kirsa
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2010 08:12:48 PM »

I love it.  It looks like it fits great, is comfortable, and is cute to boot.  And all that with no pattern and no previous sweater crocheting experience...my mind is boggled.  I love it.  The long long sleeves, the neckline, the stitch used, the color.

What stitch is it?  Is it all one piece or is it seamed?  What weight of yarn/hook size did you use?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
tcmatteson

Baby it's cold outside...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2010 08:15:25 PM »

It's gorgeous! I am totally wisting this Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Crafter turned Soaper
Been away from Craftster for far too long Sad I miss this crafty community!
Simple & Clean Soapery on FB
Simple & Clean Soapery on etsy
lindsycarranza

Be yourself, everyone else is already taken.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2010 08:52:18 PM »

That IS GORGEOUS!!!! And it's your first??!?!?! WOW! Man seeing stuff likes this makes me really wish I know how to knit or crochet.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Okay so once again I am completely redoing my pictures. Got tired of photobucket, the only reason I used it was for here so I decided I will just use Craftster's photo uploader. So while I am switching over my photo links will be broken. Message me if there is a post you would like the pics for.
Arbitraryorange
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2010 10:42:36 PM »

It's amazing.  The fit is excellent, the stitch is interesting and all in all it's very impressive, especially for a first timer.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kjlutz
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I am woman watch me grow!

Wherever you've been, He's been there

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2010 06:00:19 AM »

What a beatiful sweater.

What stitch pattern did you use?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sometimes you get to change the world, and other times the world changes you.

Currently drowning in the sea called PhD.

Interested in swapping for I-Spy Quilt Squares and Scraps.
oddmoongirl
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2010 07:27:13 AM »

First off super happy that everyone enjoys the sweeter and thanks for all the questions and comments you guys rock!

Answers:
What stitch pattern did you use?
What stitch is it? 

The stitch is called a Key Tab Stitch I found it in "basic crochet stitches" by Erika Knight. If you can't find the book just ask and I'll try and make you a video or something. As far as fancy stitches go it is pretty simple to do!

That IS GORGEOUS!!!! And it's your first??!?!?! WOW! Man seeing stuff likes this makes me really wish I know how to knit or crochet.

I am super pumped about your enthusiasm!!!! You should join the awesome  crocheting hysteria! This is my first sweeter but I have been I have made quite a few hats (which could be an excellent first project for you!) and such.

Is it all one piece or is it seamed?  What weight of yarn/hook size did you use?

It's all one piece, yay no seams! I used this yarn http://www.naturallycaron.com/shade_cards/country_sh.html it is awesome and I got it on sale! I am kind of a ghetto hobo crocheter when it comes to the finer points of jargin but I think the yarn is 3 oz / 85 g and the hook is E. hope this helps!

How long did it take?!
I can never sleep without finishing whatever I'm crocheting. I must be crazy.

Well I started the bad boy at the end of january and the preceded to not look at it till this week. But if you combine the time of actual crocheting it is probably something like a week and a half of intense crocheting glory. Sadly I don't think you could do it in one night unless you have some super skills hidden in your back pocket so I say try it anyways!

If you would be willing to write up a pattern I think myself and others would be interested! Smiley
Sadly my pattern writing skills are a little sketchy and not quite up to par but as a consolation I made this ghetto pattern that is more of a guideline type thing. it may be easier to see if you print it out!

Hope it helps! If you have any questions about it I'll be sure to try and do some problem solving!

HOW'D YOU DO THAT!???!?!?!  It's absolutely adorable.  *drool*
We call it mad skills.... and far to much free time....

So, if you had no pattern, is there a trick to it?  Any tips for someone else wanting to partake in a similar activity?

Well first off I just wrote up a ghetto pattern so that is a good place to start. Some of my little tips of wisdom for free handing it are the following:
1. Find a piece of clothing you already like and look at it for ideas.
2. Get more yarn than you think you will need. It is always better to have a matching hat than half a sleeve.
3. Don't be afraid to take the thing apart if it does not look right. I could have made 2 sweaters in the time it took me to make this one cause I kept refining the sweater
4. Buy nice yarn. I know I hate shelling out the cash but if you don't like the yarn you won't want to wear it.
5. Do your research: even if you don't have a pattern you can find inspiration by looking at other sweaters you like. Also look up new stitches; they can really make something look unique. I like the book " Basic Crochet Stitches" by Erika Knight but there are tones on the internet too!
Thanks for taking an interest! I am a really big fan of patternless creations and I bet you can bust out something fabulous as well!

Thanks everyone again! Feel free to ask more questions and of course comment and recommend this to others!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

shelayla82
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2010 11:29:12 AM »

Awesome job!  I'm super impressed and jealous that you made this patternless.  Crazy mad skills at their best!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
wewilltaketothesea
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2010 11:31:50 AM »

Wow- that is your first sweater?! I am so impressed! You must be a natural   Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

gekkogirl
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2010 11:46:03 AM »

This is truly lovely. as a newbie crochetter (!) how many balls of this wool did you use? I'm never sure how much to buy.... Smiley. Thanks for ghetto pattern- I'm gonna try!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
oddmoongirl
« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2010 12:37:29 PM »

This is truly lovely. as a newbie crochetter (!) how many balls of this wool did you use? I'm never sure how much to buy.... Smiley. Thanks for ghetto pattern- I'm gonna try!

I'm excited that you are trying it out! I used eight balls of yarn and I fit into a S/M for shirts. I hope your sweater turns out nice!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kirsa
« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2010 02:06:11 PM »

2. Get more yarn than you think you will need. It is always better to have a matching hat than half a sleeve.

lol, Awesome.  Great advice.  Thanks for all the answers!  I'm going to have to go find that stitch in my copy of that book.  And then, someday, when I can afford to buy more yarn, I think I will try to make my own!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sprinklez
« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2010 04:51:04 PM »

It's lovely! Has anyone ever told you that you look like Velma from scooby doo? Especially with the orange sweater!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Underhill940

Gilmore Girls, Coffee, and Crafting..life is good.

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2010 07:36:16 PM »

Your sweater looks AMAZING! Truly, I am jealous. I was just trying to talk myself out of crocheting a sweater because I live in FL and it wouldn't get much use, but too bad, I'm starting a sweater tonight. So lovely!  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

-Stephanie
Tact is for people who aren't witty enough to be sarcastic.

http://underhill940.blogspot.com/ <-- my crochet blog
www.wists.com/Underhill940 <-- yes I wist my own crafts hehe
dawn0684

You know what? It doesn't matter.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2010 08:47:39 PM »

I love the color. It looks great! I live in Chicago, so sweaters are always in season here. Today it was 60 out, tomorrow suppose to be 80.. it's crazy.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I <3 personal swaps
Stars_Fire_17
Drop the Yarn and no one gets hurt!

Kitten

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: June 09, 2010 02:47:39 AM »

its fantastic and I love the color Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Kit

"Stars, hide your fires, Let not light see my black and deep desires"
Hyper-Piston
« Reply #23 on: June 09, 2010 04:07:02 AM »

This is truly frikkin' awesome Cheesy I'm an avid hooker myself (bwah hah hah) and live in Alaska, therefore the thought of being able to crochet sweaters is massively cool, BUT, a lot of them turn out frumpy because of the thickness crochet tends to yield.
While those are comfortable, it's nice to have beautiful looking things like this! You have succeeded! I can't wait to finish my current big project, because this is what I'm tackling next!
That stitch is super awesome.

WELL DONE!
« Last Edit: June 09, 2010 04:15:43 AM by Hyper-Piston » THIS ROCKS   Logged
make.shift
« Reply #24 on: June 09, 2010 06:31:57 AM »

this is incredibly well done, congrats.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
annoyinglittlegirl
« Reply #25 on: June 09, 2010 12:48:40 PM »

This is gorgeous!! I love the neckline and the long long sleeves Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Please visit my vegetarian cookery blog Smiley views, comments and FB likes are ALWAYS appreciated!

www.amuse-your-bouche.blogspot.com
MrsStash
« Reply #26 on: June 09, 2010 04:06:45 PM »

You did a fantastic job!  I really like your sweater.  I appreciate the pattern, too!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
muzikalcheezegal
« Reply #27 on: June 09, 2010 04:22:16 PM »

Gorgeous!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Arbitraryorange
« Reply #28 on: June 09, 2010 07:50:23 PM »

I appreciate you making a ghetto pattern, and was hoping you would make a video or describe how to make a key tab stitch since I really like the look of it and don't have to book.  :-)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
JessNicole11
« Reply #29 on: June 10, 2010 11:06:39 AM »

Love your sweater, and thanks so much for adding the 'ghetto pattern'!

:-)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

hildegard
« Reply #30 on: June 11, 2010 10:18:01 AM »

I love to crochet, but I've always hated how things that are crocheted *look* like they've been crocheted.  But this doesn't!  I love the stitch, and that it was done without a pattern.  I'm horrible at counting stitches, so I try to avoid patterns all together, but none of my creations have ever looked this good Smiley  You and the sweater both look fab!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
RungeKutta
« Reply #31 on: June 14, 2010 02:25:53 AM »

For those who wanted the stitch pattern -this youtube video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ieHRRYpFC14 seems to be it.

I really really like this jumper - think I need to make something like it for myself. Once I've finished a few other projects
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SusanSummerland
« Reply #32 on: June 16, 2010 03:47:38 PM »

That is a totally fabulous sweater! I love it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Arbitraryorange
« Reply #33 on: June 16, 2010 08:06:58 PM »

Thanks for posting the video, I'm totally going to try and make a sweater like yours.  :-)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jjgirl

I love crochet patterns & crochet hats!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: June 16, 2010 08:56:36 PM »

Wow, if that's your first sweater, you did an excellent job!  Not only do I like the stitch detail (thanks for posting the link to the video) but I like how the sleeves are a little extra long and slouchy.  I'm not sure if you did that on purpose or if that's how the design turned out, but it's still great nonetheless.  Wear that with pride!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Etsy: www.jjcrochet.etsy. com
My Website: http://www.jjcrochet.com
My Blog (with free crochet + knit patterns!): www.jjcrochet.com/blog
www.facebook.com/jjcrochet
insane_aktor
« Reply #35 on: June 27, 2010 02:46:04 AM »

Awesome sweater.  I keep coming back to it, thinking I need to make one for myself for the winter (which in Southern California is an oxymoron).  But I cannot hope to accomplish it as well as you have!  My first big project I tried still sits underneath my bed, waiting for me to finish it, and unfortunately for me and it I probably will end up frogging it and making it into a hapless attempt at this jumper.  ah, the frivolities of being awake at almost 3am on a day when you have not one but two parties to attend and a gift to finish, and one to start.  And of course, I'm sitting here procrastinating on Craftster and cut out + keep. . .ugh!

Kudos on sweater.  I actually found the video before I saw you posted it.  Are you the creator of said video??
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I wish i was a glow worm
A glow worm's never glum
Cause how could you be grumpy
When the sun shines out your bum!

http://wists.com/insane_aktor
MizzKodak
THE BIGGER THE BETTER

ALWAYS

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #36 on: July 05, 2010 05:31:06 PM »

i love it, great job, and your ghetto pattern is super bomb Grin Grin Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Looking For Mystery Science Theater 3000 Stuff Let's Swap!

Like Severus I Do It All For Love

Check Out My Etsy Shop!
http://www.etsy.com/shop/MizzKodaksTrunk?ref=pr_shop_more
ConnieStieler
« Reply #37 on: July 06, 2010 02:26:46 PM »

Love it!  And it looks great on you  Wink  Thanks for the rough guidelines I hope I can finish a sweater too!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
eatmoreplants

AppleAndTree.Etsy.com

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #38 on: July 06, 2010 11:28:08 PM »

so purty! i love the color! you can't go wrong with yellow <3
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Apple & Tree
appleandtree.etsy.c om

Apple and Tree believes in the philosophy of re-using before recycling. We make one of a kind pieces using salvaged items as base material and offer authentic vintage fashions.
oddmoongirl
« Reply #39 on: July 17, 2010 12:49:55 PM »

Are you the creator of said video??

Yep. I posted the video online and then waited a few days and some awesome person posted it on here for me!

Thanks for all the complements! I'm excited to see everyone so down to crochet!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Painting Lesson - Big Brush, Little Brush
Artists Easels
Additional Oil Painting Studio Accessories
How to Make Oil Painting Medium
Oil Paints and Pigments
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Fairy Garden
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: 30th Birthday Tattoo
April 17, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...