A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 297,213
Currently Running With Scissors:
545 Guests and 30 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Alternative medias  (Read 771 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

BeadHead
« on: June 07, 2010 03:46:35 PM »

I am a high school art student looking for ways to expand my portfolio. I mostly deal in drawing, painting, and ceramics. I'm looking for ideas on some alternative medias to try out this summer in my spare time. Basically, I want to try drawing and painting on surfaces other than paper and canvas. Some ideas that I had come up with were throwing a pot on the wheel and then doing a painting on it, painting on old records, and painting on wood. I would really appreciate any other ideas that anyone could think of. Thanks a ton!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

N30Nb100d
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2010 04:58:59 PM »

Painting on glass is pretty interesting. You can paint from the back then flip over so you see the image through the glass. It forces you to think backwards about the painting since the final details need to go on first, so it could be good practice.
You could really use anything for a canvas. For example, clothing (basically other types of fabric than canvas... someone I talked to once mentioned painting on an old prom dress as an alternative art piece) or metal (either sheet metal or metal objects). Heck, you could paint on people then photograph it if you have any skills in photography or know someone that does.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
BeadHead
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2010 04:10:25 PM »

I really like the idea of painting on clothing. And I wish I knew someone that would let me paint on them!  Roll Eyes

Thanks a bunch for your help! I will have to try out some of your ideas.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

iluvsparklies
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2010 06:02:38 PM »

Here's an alternative medium that's cheap and fun.  Get yourself a big box of crayons, a roll of freezer paper, and a travel iron.  Look online for Encaustic wax paintings to get some inspirations on how to use them.  Encaustic wax and the tools that go with it are ultra expensive, but this is a great way to try out the techniques without investing a lot of $$.  Have fun this summer!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my blog! Smiley Thursday's Child
And some of my art.... PBase
isnessofwhatis
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2010 07:53:25 PM »

finger painting!!

I tried the "rules" to do a dark blue to pale blue gradient (paing light to dark and blending colors as you go, blah blah blah...)  well I didn't like the results.  so I tried again today but this time I used my hands and it turned out AWESOME!  The gradient is very gradual just the way I wanted it. 

Also look on the completed projects part of this section and look at the dirt/natural pigment  paintings someone did.  VERY cool.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I would love to swap ATC size "pillows" with my fellow teesha moore peeps.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
3 Habits That Damage Your Hair and How to Avoid Them
Celebrity Hair Trend: Braided Chignon
Jennifer Aniston Sports Shorter Hair Cut
Three Back-to-School Braided Looks
How to Get the Perfect Curly Cut
Latest Blog Articles
More Amazing Matchboxes
Meatless Monday: Pumpkin Spice Latte
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...