A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 302,967
Currently Running With Scissors:
652 Guests and 21 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 43
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Hippy Swap Round 4 (SIGNUP 06/08/10 - 06/26/10; MAIL BY 07/31/10)  (Read 28929 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

pops

this kittens' nose demands kisses...

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #300 on: July 11, 2010 10:59:48 AM »

yes, we'll have to make the most of it down here, it's going to be stairrods tonight, and most of the week *sigh*
THIS ROCKS   Logged

AttieNichole

Welcoming Spring!

« Reply #301 on: July 11, 2010 11:20:50 AM »

I"m crafting it up today! Smiley  I'm so tired though.  I worked a thirteen hour shift yesterday at the group home.  I got to take the residents to the mall and we visited my friends music store.  You should have seen their faces light up when my friend played them a song.  It was priceless.  It makes work not even feel like work when everyone is having a good time. Smiley  So I'm enjoying the good vibes I'm feeling and starting my large item today for this swap Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

attienichole.etsy.c om
ecozombie.etsy.com
pinterest.com/aimeetraveler
AttieNichole

Welcoming Spring!

« Reply #302 on: July 11, 2010 01:35:59 PM »

I've been crocheting all day lol.  Waiting for the boyfriend to wake up now to go get a late lunch Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

attienichole.etsy.c om
ecozombie.etsy.com
pinterest.com/aimeetraveler
fluffybaka

The Lil Hippies are taking over!

« Reply #303 on: July 11, 2010 03:03:09 PM »

I'm frantically throwing together my little brother's birthday present.  His birthday's at the end of the week, and I totally forgot about it!  Once I finish making his Goomba, I'll be back on track with the swap.  The ______s are mostly assembled, except for the little details.  The ____s are coming along nicely.  I finally found my dye, so I can finish the _____ tomorrow, when the sun comes back out.  I can't believe I'm saying this, but I think I'm almost done!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.CraftyHippy.etsy.com
Eco-friendly items, patterns, hippies, and more.

I'm on Ravelry, too!
http://www.ravelry.com/designers/stephanie-horn
margiej
« Reply #304 on: July 11, 2010 08:41:31 PM »

Yes I feel myself winding down too, have to finish what I started yesterday and never touched today.  But I hate to finish this, as then I won't have anything to do as I haven't seen any new swaps that look even half way interesting!!  I read about tie dying, and watched a great 17 minute video today, and yesterday watched about batik...I think I could get hooked on tie dying, and it is so different nowadays than what I tried so many many years ago, and was disappointed with.  I see why now!  The problem, of course, is affording the supplies!  I did read a recipe for making "soda ash" which I never knew was necessary, you can bake regular baking soda in oven for like l hour at 400 degrees or whatever (need to reread)  So maybe I can take this up next month!  But I sure would like to find another great swap! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Too bad I don't hear voices, I would enjoy the company
WWW.PINTEREST.COM/MARGARETCJOY
jennilocker
« Reply #305 on: July 12, 2010 05:26:46 AM »

I barely got any crafting done this weekend since my little one, who was sick last week and got better, came back down with fever and stuff Saturday afternoon.  I even had a babysitter lined up for Sunday so I could finally have a crafting day all to myself.... anywho...we did get to go to a craft fair in Berea Saturday morning and there was some AWESOME tie dyed stuff.  Granted they wanted 30.00 for a broomstick skirt, which I thought was a bit high, but they had trees and rainbows on them, which I thought was reallllly cool.  I'm with margiej on thinking tie dying could be addicting, but the dyes at Walmart are all 4.00 a piece and thats a single use.  Is there a cheaper method??
THIS ROCKS   Logged

holistic knitter
Current Swaps:

Peace comes from within

View Profile WWW
« Reply #306 on: July 12, 2010 07:00:46 AM »

Still working on large...
Made my medium over the weekend  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

margiej
« Reply #307 on: July 12, 2010 07:46:48 AM »

I looked up tie dying and went to Dharmatrading co, which I thought was just advertising, but roll on down the page and you get to the video of the girl explaining how to tie up the shirt/piece, use the squirt bottle of dye to achieve different effects, letting it set in dye for 10 hrs/more in plastic wrap, etc.  absolutely facinating!  In dinosaur days, we used Rit dye, stuck it in one color, then another in a bucket, then rinsed (which took our most of our color!) SO Different this new way!  Another method I found, uses permanent markers and isopropol alcohol to dye it.  Interesting stuff!  Too bad I can't use food coloring, I have that!  (or can I?  anyone know?  would it work for something that won't get laundered?  Any ideas?)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Too bad I don't hear voices, I would enjoy the company
WWW.PINTEREST.COM/MARGARETCJOY
Abbeeroad
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Liberal Tie-Dyed Tree Hugger

« Reply #308 on: July 12, 2010 09:51:56 AM »

Dharma trading co is a great site, looks like a great company.  I discovered them a long time ago, but just re-discovered them during this swap.  Did you watch the spider tie dye video?  That one is great.  I would love to buy some of their dye.  I am using Dylon powder right now.  Rit works alright, but does the same thing to me, margiej...I lose the first color when I dye in the second...frustratin g.  My friend has had some success doing the tie in one RIT color, then squirt on another RIT color.  Not sure what everything looked like post washing, but pre-washing she got some really great effects.  The only down side I have experienced with the tie-squirt bottle method is I often end up with more white than I would like.  Or, the colors all pool and I end up with brown on one side.  I liked how in the one DTC video they put the shirt on a grill-like surface so all the excess dye came off.  I'll have to try that.  I also have never let my tie-dye "cure" like they do in the DTC vids (in plastic).  I've always done the air-dry thing. 

I have no idea if you can use food coloring...I seem to be able to stain my clothes with it just fine when I don't want to!!!

There's also the crystal tie dye method...I think I saw that on DTCs site also...similar to LWI, but you just put powder directly on your fabric rather than dissolving it first.  Then add the soda ash/water mixture...I think I am going to give that a try also.  So many things to do...so little time!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
morrigan_le_faye
Come to the dark side - we have cookies....

currently obsessed with fibres! :D

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #309 on: July 12, 2010 11:57:11 AM »

I finished my large yesterday and I'm in love with it! Cheesy I really hope that holistic knitter will like it.
Started to make some smalls today and still thinking about the medium...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 43 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Decoupage Crafts and Techniques: Fabric to Fabric Waterproof Finish
How to Etch a Monogram on Glass
How to Transfer Photo Images
How to Embellish Glass and Wood Surfaces
DIY Nursery Series: Easy Tissue Paper Wall Art
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...