A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 305,040
Currently Running With Scissors:
513 Guests and 17 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Hand-made does not mean it's worth less! (Mini-rant...)  (Read 3663 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

SanDorfALot
SanDorfALot

Chaotic Good

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2010 04:44:36 PM »

I value handmade stuff so much more than store bought. My mother has made me amazing dresses (school graduation, the only time I wear a dress) and clothes and stuff (she's really good at sewing) and you can't buy them in stores, and if you could, it'd cost 1000x's the amount it takes to buy a pattern and fabric.. plus, when people ask, "That's pretty, where'd you get it?" it feels so much better to say "Oh, I made it" or "My mom made it for me".
That's just my opinion.
And tell that person not to f**k with your stuff!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Twice the mayham, triple the force, ten times the action: total hardcore.
CraftasaurusRex
crafty01_87

I make awesome stuff.

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 13, 2010 06:43:52 PM »

Wow, I'm sorry to hear that happened to your stamp! If that were me, I think I would have done more that tell her off. I might have painted on one of her paintings, "to see how it was made".
And Crying Goddess, I feel ya on the Fine Art vs Craft. It takes a completely different skill set to perfectly copy a picture from a photo than it does to, say, create a piece of jewelry or sew a dress. You really can't compare the 2.

Kind of related: I was roaming around on the Anthropologie site, and almost all of the jewelry or knit/crochet items that I saw really weren't as attractive or interesting as some of the handmade things that I have seen here and by others I know. So, maybe it would be amusing to attach a tag from Anthro. or Old Navy or Claires, ect. to the piece you make, then give it to someone and see their reaction. Then tell them you made it. Some people only care about labels.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Creativity is not being afraid to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep." -Scott Adams
greenfaerie
« Reply #22 on: November 27, 2010 01:35:58 PM »

Pshh... I don't like people who don't care about effort vs. labels.  Come on, the MOST exclusive thing you can have is a hand made custom anything.  The real posh understand that. Wink

But in reference to attaching another label to the gift... I did that one year for an obnoxious relative after my mom and I were joking around about it haha.  They're still raving about the couture piece I had "probably spent all the money I earned in a month to afford".  Well, the yarn cost $10 at my local yarn store, but I guess it does qualify as couture.  I totally made up company with an impossibly French name, and yes, I did leave the "price tag" on it.  Bwahahaha.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Big collection of Kenmore presser feet to swap/trade/sell!!  Ruffler foot, etc.  Please PM for details!
Wist!
Fullmoon
Femailler

Artistic Spazzmatazz

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2011 03:37:29 PM »

I'm a jack of all trades. I'll try anything at least once and if it's something I enjoy and whatnot, I'll continue with it. I draw, paint, sew, knit, dabble in polymer clay, dabble in ceramics, etc etc etc.

Even before I could really do any of that, I'd always loved homemade gifts. My grandmother used to make me jumpers and dresses when I was little, and she always made my Barbies awesome clothing.

My grandmother taught me how to sew, and it made me appreciate homemade goods even more, because I knew even more about how much effort was involved.

My family prefers me to give them art or crafted things that I did. My boyfriend is the same way. He says "It's a gift from the heart, and I appreciate it more than something store bought. I know how much you put into it ^_^" and "Koneko, I love it when you make things for me. <3 It's so cool!" He's always excited when I have something in the works for him because he ends up absolutely loving everything. Right now he's getting a scarf, a lovers coupon book, a steampunk punkin or poppet, a sketchbook filled with art, and a few other things.. For his birthday/coming home present ((He went on a trip at the time of his birthday, and I had to leave for Hawaii when he came back, so I mailed the stuff out to him when I left and he got it about when he got back)) I did a drawing of him in charcoal (which also ended up weirdly beneficial for me, because it turned out I'd taken a photo of it because I do this with all my art pretty much, and so now I'm able to use this for my portfolio for my college applications haha, which in turn makes him feel even more awesome because he thinks it's so amazing that I wanted to draw him and use it for my college stuff) a doll of his OC, Epic Man, and there was something else I'd made him too, but I don't remember what. But he even just appreciates it if I think of him when I'm in a craft swap that seems like something he'd like and I request something special for him, or if I personal swap with other craftster members and I ask for the item to be made for him. In the Geek Chic swap, my partner, Kyerinn, made him a bunch of Cthulhu magnets (and I thought they were cool, so he told me I could pick one so we could both have Cthulhu awesomeness and he was so appreciative) and he was sooooooooo happy! It was really heart warming to watch XD He kept playing with them throughout the day and looking at all the Cthulhu pictures like a million times and there was a cooking one, so he was like "Koneko! This one is meeeeee!!!" haha... He's an amazing chef.

A lot of my friends are also appreciative of crafted awesomeness. But I also surround myself with a lot of people who are interested in arts and crafts.

I have stamps from astrangeone and I freaking brag to everyone that I have them XD I'd never really been one to use rubber stamps before, but I thought it was so cool what people could make, but now after having a few of them, I'm kind of addicted and I want to stamp everything in sight... Speaking of which... I haven't stamped my bedroom walls yet... Cheesy

People who don't appreciate homemade awesomeness are sad pandas Sad In my opinion, it's something someone made with love and you in mind, and it seems like it could be a status symbol for you even. You have something amazing, that's special and unique, and maybe it's one of a kind, so you're the ONLY one who has this amazing awesome item and there's like 20 people around you with the same bag or scarf or hat or whatever because they all bought it at Abercrombie, but yours is special.

Astrangeone, you should bitch slap that friend. I'd be so mad if someone did that to something of mine!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Facebook fan page: http://www.facebook.com/lunaestrelladesign/
Deviantart: http://melonpan-alichan.deviantart.com/

Will happily do personal swaps Smiley I'm busy so I may be a bit slow, but I do enjoy swapping <3
Ossidrizz
Bomblebeep

Carnage in the Aisles

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2011 04:17:38 PM »

If that were me, I think I would have done more that tell her off. I might have painted on one of her paintings, "to see how it was made".
HAHAHAH. perfect!

this past xmas i was part of my GF's family Secret Santa and i pulled her sister's BF's name. i made all my gifts this year because we're dirt poor, and so i planned 3 really cool black and white mixed media layered collages based on three songs from his favourite bands, and put them in handpainted frames. all the materials were in my inventory already, and it took almost 30 hours to make all together.
the sister was actually ANGRY that i didn't spend any money on his gift, and said it was totally unfair since her BF spent $100 on his Secret Santa.
she offered to take me to Wal-Mart and have me pick out a gift for him, she would pay for it, and i would write my name on the tag like a preschooler. i said "thanks but no thanks" and she told her BF that i wasn't buying him anything. she spent WEEKS ranting to the family about how selfish and cheap i was being, and how even though i KNEW what he really wanted for xmas, i wouldn't accept her charity to buy it for him.
it turned into a giant family drama and he ended up really liking the pieces anyway. he knew right away what songs they represented and is putting them up in his guitar room.

she still doesn't think she did anything wrong..
THIS ROCKS   Logged

-Brighter Than a Brain Pie-
Wistlings
Blargh! A Blog!
aisy
« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2011 06:16:28 PM »

wow-i think those people are just incredibly shallow and stupid. i used to make my younger cousins cute toys and they would love them then theirmom, my bitch aunt, told them that handmade things are badly made and that it represent poverty so they dont like the things i make for them anymore. it makes me very sad. thats why i love swapping-i have so many cool things from swaps that i get compliments on all the time and its fun to make things for other people
THIS ROCKS   Logged

TBickimer
« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2011 06:55:11 PM »

I totally feel all you pain! I've had just about all these experiences at one time or another.. ranging from LOVE to HATE of an item I crafted.

Personally, I think there's a couple of things about people that can be 'generalized'. Some people who look at the gifts as worthless are  

1. Not crafty or skilled themselves and hence, cannot appreciate the time and effort, let alone the thoughtfulness and heart that went into the item
2. Some are jealous that they cannot do such things, and it comes off as snobbish
3. Others may feel 'cheated' since they didn't get an 'expensive' gift, and these people are very shallow and materalistic
4. Those that feel somethings are cheap don't know the value of time and effort. They're the ones that will buy everything at tremendous prices and put forth very little effort in many things of their own (including their self)

Those that do appreciate crafts/crafting/hand-made items are probably just about the opposite!

The thing is, I put more thought and effort into many of the things I craft. I've always told my children that I love anything that they made, even if it isn't the best of the best, because it's from their heart. My children are now 19 and 21. The 19 yo loves nothing more than to pipe up on a weekend and say 'lets make something, mom!" The 21 yo is a major in graphic illustration at a private art college, and he says it's because he was always inspired by our crafting when he was a child that he loves to draw and wants to do it for a living. So for those that never see the value in crafting or homemade items, just look into the eyes of my son and see the gleam that comes from them when he is drawing. Eat his dust because he's a junior in college and just had his first art show and a job offer for storyboarding for the largest advertisement agency in the state. Who says crafting isn't valuable?? I say, life is TOO short - CRAFT until the end! No apologies necessary for gifting of yourself and from your heart, and too bad for those that don't see/appreciate the value of such!
« Last Edit: January 10, 2011 06:57:33 PM by TBickimer » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Birthday Girl Zooey Deschanel Tells Us Her Beauty Secrets
How to Hide That You Just Cried
The Secret to Applying False Eyelashes
Tips For Wearing Lip Liner
Top 4 Ways to Treat Dry Skin
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Thrifty Dog Bed
October 29, 2014 Featured Projects
Craft Challenge #103, Foodie Frenzy 2 Winner

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...