A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 305,900
Currently Running With Scissors:
344 Guests and 2 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Hand-made does not mean it's worth less! (Mini-rant...)  (Read 5041 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

binkadv
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2010 10:33:50 AM »

I can empathize with these situations, I've sewn things for people and they've just said "oh, thanks" and put it down without acknowledging that it's handmade and a lot of work has gone into it. it's just polite to say "that's lovely thank you" and look at it all over!

Or ask how they did i or ask where they learned to do it. At least start a little bit of conversation about it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Heavily tattooed and hair dyed mum of one, unless you count my husband then two, who has taken up sewing as a way to keep her sanity.
pinniped
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2010 01:00:43 AM »

Exactly!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

astrangeone
The Paper Alchemist

Fueled by the scent of rubber shavings....

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2010 09:25:57 PM »

One thing that bothers me is at yardsales when you see afghans or quilts for a dollar or 50 cents- not so much when the people admit they've just made too many, but "my friend/aunt/grandma made those for me, blech".

It's a good day for me when I find them, though!  Wink

I've always found handmade stuff to be worth more than store bought... even if it's sewn crooked, coloured a bit out of the lines and not as sturdy as a brand-name item or something. But maybe just as a crafter & artist myself, I understand and appreciate the work put into something handmade.

I'd have hit your friend, astrangeone. Tongue

Agreed!  I love yard sales for the hand made stuff that I find, and the different craft supplies!

I dunno, I rather have and treasure a handmade scarf than something that was bought out of a catalog.

I thought of hitting her, but...that would hurt.  (Me versus someone with a black belt in judo?Huh)  :S
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I handcarve stamps, knit and have organic catnip.

Personal Swapping...activated!

Looking for:  ATCs, some dry non-sanded grout mix

Got a 3DS?  I can clear save data from your games!  (Including RE Mercs 3D.)
mrsflibble

will work for yarn

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2010 11:30:54 AM »

my sister in law and myself made a vow to make eachother's birthday and xmas gifts. she likes the stuff i make and i know she appreciates the work, and she also knows i love her oatmeal cookies, angel food cake, veggie fajitas and enchiladas so i'm always very happy to have a meal cooked as a gift instead of having something to open in the traditional manner.

i get very annoyed when i make something, give it to people and never see themselves or their child use or wear it. even my mum has mentioned how nice it is to see my daughter using the various dolly clothes/blankets she's made for her.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
DancinInTheDark
Music Junkie, lightning watcher, book lover. :)

I love all things crafty!

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2010 02:13:38 PM »

I hate when non-crafters destroy stuff you've worked hard on. That annoys me so much.  Angry That's happened to me several times.  Cry My brother destroyed this clay vase I was making for ceramics class one time and I was so mad about that I almost exploded.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Though the course may change sometimes, rivers always reach the sea. -Led Zeppelin
Crying Goddess
Rocking CraftAngel

Every girl is her own goddess

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2010 07:01:43 PM »

Seriously, I think that would be my 'ex-friend'  Shocked

I agree. If any of my friends did that I would never look at them, or talk to them ever again. I'm lucky because my best friend, Zero, loves it when I make her something craft related. And so does my mom.  Grin
However my grandma is another story. She came when I was making lazy susans and I had a ton and she's always losing her hair ties so I gave her one and told her to put it in there. Then (not more then a week later) she asked me to run to her house and grab her purse (she had forgotten it) and I was all over her house (which is really tiny) and didn't see it. When I asked she acted like she had no idea what I was talking about. Which means she gave it away.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Quote from: kjlutz
Craftster: Lovingly Breaking up Families in the name of Craft since Challenge 50

Please vote for my Redstone torch for challenge 96:
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=431999.0#axzz2vJFPpJwN
icryptic
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2010 01:31:06 PM »

hand made things are media of art. all artistic things are hand made and they are worth more than an artificial one.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2010 01:32:52 PM by icryptic » THIS ROCKS   Logged
soulfiresgrace
« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2010 03:50:50 AM »

Wow, I am soo sorry to hear all the horror stories about hand made items not being loved! In my family we are very much about the thought and time vs the item. I have made my families gifts for years the only time I buy something is if I dont have time and they get more upset about that then they do if they get a crafted item. I dont know what I would do If something like that happened to me. U know to be honest I did a swap once and everything that I got was wonderful but I have never used it do to the fact that I dont use hand bags or wear jewlery But I still have all of it and apperciate the time and energy that went into it. I just dont know what to do with them any ideas?? I have tried everything short of using them as they were intended as purses.  Undecided   Now I feel really bad..
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Why does life have to get in the way of crafting?
Mod35tBabe
« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2010 08:41:11 PM »

Just throwing this out there but what would cutting a stamp in half show u anyway? For Me thats not the way id choose to see how something was made. Im sorry that happened to you. Im glad Ive got no bad stories like that to share
THIS ROCKS   Logged

If you say 'plz' because it's shorter than 'please',I'll say 'no' because it's shorter than 'yes'.
50 SWAPS COMPLETE
1 IN PROCESS

~*~*Come and visit our new collaborative craft blog Hand Made-n's!!*~*~
Crying Goddess
Rocking CraftAngel

Every girl is her own goddess

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2010 10:06:28 PM »

The thing that makes me maddest about certain members of my family treating my crafts like garbage (Pretty much all of them except my mom and step-dad do) is the fact they will drool over my sister's artwork. I mean yes she car draw anything you shove in her face and she spends a lot of time on it but do you think I don't? I don't know if it's because they think the crafts are worthless or if it's because I'm sort of the black sheep of the family. I don't really care which it is if I'm going to take the time to make it for you and I didn't make you pay for it (which I've had to start doing because they won't throw it away that way) then the least you could do is keep it or at least tell me you're not going to use it and give it back. Don't throw it away! Oh they make me so mad  Angry

(sorry for the rant but this is exactly what I was thinking about when I saw this topic)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Quote from: kjlutz
Craftster: Lovingly Breaking up Families in the name of Craft since Challenge 50

Please vote for my Redstone torch for challenge 96:
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=431999.0#axzz2vJFPpJwN
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

How-To Videos
How to Make Artichoke Dip
How to Make Cranberry Relish
Grilled Filet Mignon Recipe
How To Make New Orleans Pecan Pie
How to Prepare Pork with a Jicard
Latest Blog Articles
Craft Challenge #114 - Pick It and Craft It!
Craftster Quickies: How to Make Paper Stars
June 29, 2016 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...