A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 302,612
Currently Running With Scissors:
754 Guests and 24 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: What weird meals have you made while totally broke?  (Read 12893 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

jenniferchula1
Jenniferchula1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #60 on: August 25, 2011 07:22:13 PM »

when I lived with my grandma we had very little money and I used to take her homemade canned tomatoes and add them to cooked pasta, along with alot of butter, salt pepper and oregano. it was actually really good.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mswood
« Reply #61 on: August 26, 2011 07:59:01 PM »

we have this all the time! LOL we live with our grandma too Cheesy usually for a side.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Fullmoon
Femailler

Artistic Spazzmatazz

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #62 on: August 29, 2011 01:12:46 AM »

When we ended up low on money randomly, I ate the infamous S.O.S.....Yeah...Yo u know what it stands for Wink I actually really enjoy S.O.S. and variations, such as "chipped beef on rice" for example. My parents wouldn't touch it, they ate something else, but it was really cheap and yummy. The only lame thing is my mother had to help me make the white sauce because... As embarassing as it is.... I can't make white sauce.. XD I can make gravy, stews, Asian dishes, biscuits from scratch, and so much other stuff, but I can't make a simple white sauce of 3 ingredients LOL.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Facebook fan page: http://www.facebook.com/lunaestrelladesign/
Deviantart: http://melonpan-alichan.deviantart.com/

Will happily do personal swaps Smiley I'm busy so I may be a bit slow, but I do enjoy swapping <3
Dannie-K118
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 24, 2011 01:29:45 PM »

I spice up a can of vegitarian vegitable soup with whatever I have in the cuboard that I like, nuke it in the microwave to get it HOT(till it's about to boil over), then I drop in a raw egg.  Let that sit, and the egg poaches.  I eat all the broth and veggies first, myself.  May not be all that wierd, but it's cheap(the can of soup is free thanks to local food bank, and eggs are nice and cheap), and quick for me to make up for lunch.  My husband won't touch it, though.  He thinks poached eggs are not safe to eat.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
dreamtiwas
« Reply #64 on: October 26, 2011 07:17:40 AM »

it's not weird, but if you cut up potatoes into wedges, melt some butter and mix it with dry italian seasoning and parmesan cheese, then dip the potatoes in the sauce and bake them, (maybe 350 for 20 minutes? i don't really remember...) it's delicious.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
astrangeone
The Paper Alchemist

Fueled by the scent of rubber shavings....

View Profile WWW
« Reply #65 on: October 28, 2011 02:37:35 PM »

It's not weird, but I've made it as hangover food.  Tuna noodle casserole!  I stopped by the dollar store for tuna in cans.

My "Clean the Damn Fridge" Recipe:
-  3 blocks of Swiss Knight (it's processed Gruyere and it's good)
-  1 can condensed cream of mushroom (the dollar store did not stock it!)
-  1 mushy tomato
-  1 can's worth of 1% milk (I had it in the fridge - it's get rid of it, or waste it)
-  1 can tuna
-  4 noodle bricks of shrimp noodles

Start the shrimp noodles in a pot with some water.  Dump the tuna into a pan, draining the excess water/oil.  Add the soup - that was disgusting, it fell out with the can indentations on it.  Add the milk to the tuna/soup mixture.  Peel and dump 2 blocks of swiss knight into it.  Heat until the cheese melts.  Drain the noodles.  Prepare a pan to catch all the goodness.  Dump the noodles into the pan.  Dump sauce onto it.  Slice the tomato.  Crumble on the last of the cheese.  Throw into an oven, and listen to your roommates complain that it smells fishy.  Eat.  Die happy.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2011 02:38:00 PM by astrangeone » THIS ROCKS   Logged

I handcarve stamps, knit and have organic catnip.

Got shopping?:  http://www.shophandmade.com/Store/Madstamps

Personal Swapping...activate d!

Looking for:  ATCs, some dry non-sanded grout mix

Got a 3DS?  I can clear save data from your games!  (Including RE Mercs 3D.)
Fullmoon
Femailler

Artistic Spazzmatazz

« Reply #66 on: November 06, 2011 03:57:53 PM »

I've learned that if you're broke, the best thing you can do is be useful to someone else. I spent many weeks at my last residence very very broke and was lucky to afford my train pass to get out a few stops to help a friend move. I went over there pretty much every day, and along with helping him move, playing video games, nagging him to get stuff done, etc, he'd cook and feed me really yummy things. XD;;; He also taught me how to get better at buying tons of groceries at WinCo on 25 bucks xD; ((My only big splurge I was doing at the time was buying imported Irish cheese because it was my favoirte and I couldn't really have the other cheese in the house except for the icky processed stuff that's only good in grilled cheese))

Now that I'm living somewhere where I won't be allowed to starve but I still try to get by w/o needing help, I've gotten back into my creative ramen with tuna and egg meals, strange little canned things, splurge on a pork tenderloin and make enough pulled pork to last forever, etc. Then I discovered they sell corned beef hash in a can, and I'm excited over that. I hate to admit it but I like corned beef hash LOL. Meanwhile, I also am finally getting to try Spaghetti-O's! I'm so excited over this. My parents never gave me Spaghetti-O's or Chef Boyardee as a kid, so at 19 years old and in college, I'm /finally/ trying these creepy things that I'm so fascinated by.

Oh, and also, save the broth from the pulled pork. When you get sick of just eating pulled pork sandwiches or pulled pork on a plate, or pulled pork over anything, you can put the left over pulled pork (or some of it, you'll still have leftovers even after no matter what you do!!! I learned this even feeding two of us!!!) back into the broth from the crock pot, and add corn and potatoes or beans or anything you want (We did corn and potatoes, great combo!) and let the crock pot work it's magic, and you have super delicious soup that will last you another several to a million meals. I got sick of us living off Pasta Roni and frozen dinners and if I was really creative I had flat bread w/ Nutella, peanutbutter, preserves, marmalade, cheese, anything I felt like eating on it. (Flat bread pizza w/ some jarred white sauce! Yum!)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Facebook fan page: http://www.facebook.com/lunaestrelladesign/
Deviantart: http://melonpan-alichan.deviantart.com/

Will happily do personal swaps Smiley I'm busy so I may be a bit slow, but I do enjoy swapping <3
Mischa85
« Reply #67 on: November 07, 2011 03:45:41 AM »

Okay, in the vain of TOTALLY BROKE, I have had the following meals all too recently...

Rice with teriyaki sauce

Plain sandwich with butter and pickles
Plain sandwich with butter and canned beetroot slices

Jelly on its own

Scrambled eggs (x2 eggs, splash of milk, salt, pepper, cook, sprinkle dill on top)

Veggie Surprise (Basically whatever vegetables you have, or can get your hands on, I like to do one of everything; potato, sweet potato, zuchinni, carrot, squash, tinned corn kernels, onion, can of corn kernels; cook garlic and onion, add veggies, add a tin of "4 beans", cook till veggies are tender, add jar of spaghetti sauce, simmer for 10 mins; add can of diced tomatos if you like. Section off and freeze containers to be eaten later. Reheat and eat on its own, or cook up some pasta to make it last longer)

Chicken and Sweet Potato casserole (x4 chicken thighs, cut into strips, x2 sweet potatos, x1 onion. Cut up, and thrown into a casserole dish. Cover in whatever cheap maple flavoured syrup you can get your hands on; I use about 1/2 cup to 1 cup, and bake in oven at about... 160' degrees; serve with rice)

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mischa Tacks #85
Sun State Roller Girls
bookstorebabe

Girl Genius! Kaja&Phil Foglio

« Reply #68 on: December 02, 2011 11:07:00 AM »

Something that's cheap and almost no effort I make sometimes-
The Dollar Store sells Margaret Hume canned veggies, I open up 2 cans of the tomatoes okra corn blend, add a hand full of noodles for ballast, you could add a diced potato to make it even more filling. Shake in a lot of cajun seasoning mix, cook until the noodles are done. Chesapeake Bay seasoning's good too. If I didn't have either, I'd use seasoned salt, or hot sauce, or just lots of salt and pepper.
It's cheap, fast, and filling.

And I ended up being sent home with a bag of rolls from thanksgiving. I wanted something sweet. I crumbled one in a bowl, just a splash of milk, a few chopped pecans just because I had some, a spoon of brown sugar, a chunk of butter. Nuked a minute, stirred. Like yummy bread pudding.

Or just crumbling a slice of bread in soup to make it more filling. Sometimes I'd do this at work for lunch when I didn't want a sandwich, too, or just didn't have anything at home I wanted to make a sandwich with.

Did anyone else ever grow up having a plate of saltine crackers spread with butter for a snack? Really bad for you, I know, but tasty.

Leftover cooked veggies piled on a baked potato, topped with cheese, or salt and butter if I'm out of cheese.

Tossing whatever fruit needs to be used up into a bowl of oatmeal, a little sweetener, if I have nuts and raisens add them, maybe use yogurt instead of all or some of the milk. Or if no milk, use a couple of spoons of instant dry milk. It's not great to drink reconstituted, but you can add it to things, for a little extra calcium and protein. Diced apple, banana, canned peaches, whatever. Filling, flavorful, and oatmeal's cheap. Or yeah, just smoothie the fruit instead.

When I was a kid and mom made fried apples, if there were any leftover, we'd spread them on hot buttered toast the next day for breakfast. That was yummy.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

"If you're going to go for tech that doesn't exist,think Willy Wonka,not Hoover!" Firefairy@ craftster
http://StudioLTD@etsy.com. Coupon code summerfun  50%
http://www.pinterest.com/studioltd60/
Kaissa
« Reply #69 on: December 04, 2011 01:02:24 PM »

bookstorebabe - butter on saltines was one of my favorite snacks as a kid!

a big pot of spaghetti with meat sauce (ugh..for days and days on end. I can't even gag it down anymore)
SOS - but my mom used to make it was a can of tuna instead of meat - so is that still SOS? hmm, I don't know.
Also ate a lot of ramen. ramen with scrambled eggs. ramen with hot sauce.
cinnamon sugar on toasted white bread with margarine.
strawberry jam on generic Ritz crackers.
lentils or beans cooked in the crockpot.
chili over spaghetti noodles
baked potatoes with whatever leftovers were in the fridge dumped on top

and i don't remember if this was a snack when we were broke, or just a weird snack, but my sister and I used to eat jello powder. dry. straight from the box. actually, now that I think about it, probably my mother didn't know we were eating dry jello powder...  Cheesy

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Keep Your Eye Shadow from Creasing
Drugstore Replicas of the Best Clinique Products
How To Get Rid Of Wrinkles Naturally
Bold Metallic Gold Eye Shadow at the Desigual F/W 2014 Show
Give Yourself a Makeover Like the Pros
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...