A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 297,696
Currently Running With Scissors:
417 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: What weird meals have you made while totally broke?  (Read 13395 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

ysmeine
« Reply #30 on: July 13, 2010 05:14:30 AM »

Mac and cheese without either the butter or milk and sometimes with cream cheese instead of both. My ex had a thing for cream cheese so it was often in the house. leftover bbq wings and frozen vegetables for a unique and tastey gumbo. Frozen canned fruit then pureed into a sorbet. Jello mix in hot water for a liquid meal.

Mostly we lived off traditional foods that were thrifty. Fried mash, ham and bean soup, chicken and noodle from the bones saved from previous meal, fried rice, dried beef gravy on toast.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

scorpios_stinger
« Reply #31 on: July 14, 2010 06:26:34 PM »

a slice of cheese wrapped around a pickle, yumm
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Babs_c
« Reply #32 on: July 15, 2010 02:47:19 AM »

Cous cous and a tin of mackerel.  Tongue

Started off because cheap and quick - but, I got to like it because I noticed I felt like an explorer when huddled over it. Seems I relish "controlled" hardship.

Babs.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Tired of frizz, use  cordless straighteners  one thing for the kitchen? A
chef knife Smiley
crumpets
"Stick that in ya juicebox and suck it!"

I have in IQ of 6000.The same as 6000 PE teachers.

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 24, 2010 11:45:54 PM »

I have no job, study full time and don't know how to cook. [Did I mention that I'm 13? Wink] and when Mum isn't there to cook for me, I make my favourite weird food:

No Money Minute Muslei (Granola) Bars
Serves: as many friends as you can fit in the kitchen
Time: One minute prep, 18 minutes cooking time
Things needed: Anything that resembles cereal or a wheaty product, Any and all sweet spreads+ Buttery spreads, Yoghurt/Milk (Anything milky), Splenda (Fake Sugar, ridiculously sweet), A large bowl, a large tray and spray olive oil
Directions: Pour, spoon and crumble all ingredients into bowl. Mix with hands. Spread into well greased pan to a somewhat even level, let cook for 18 minutes. When cool, break off chunks and eat. OM NOM NOM

Some of the best and worst things that have gone into my minute muslei are:
Best- Peanut Paste and Jam, A gargantuan lump of brown sugar, chopped pieces of sugar cane (You can get it free where I live), dried grapefruit, Froot Loops  
Worst- REAL muslei (When combined with my ingredients, tastes god awful), Goat's Milk, Melted Cheese and crushed up Saladas (Saltines), Unsweetened cream/yoghurt. Bleck!

Great for using up random half eaten foods, and it's all about trial and error!
« Last Edit: July 24, 2010 11:50:30 PM by crumpets » THIS ROCKS   Logged

I adore personal swaps. I can sew (To a degree), Knit and Paint, so drop me a PM if you have /anything/ to swap!
Bellazeus

Crochet pattern illiterate.

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 25, 2010 08:38:38 PM »

2 cans of minestrone soup.. a packet of pasta and a can of beans,. cook pasta then throw in the rest and warm through..I can feed 2 people 8 times for 9 bucks.. which is pretty good here in oz!!
I love it.. i love anything with beans.. the DH on the other hand.  Roll Eyes

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Seriously in awe of the craft stashes that are on this forum.
I bow down to your awesomeness.
zowiewoahie

But it's my BIRTHDAY tomorrow!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: July 25, 2010 08:46:47 PM »

My cheap-o quicky dinner is sooo good! Take some leftover chicken (or a can) and saute it up with garlic, onions, Italian spices, whatever ya got. Then I dump in some drained spinach, and a can of white beans. Mix it up, and then toss in some dry noodles. Pour in some water until it comes to the top of the noodles (I use a shallow pan) and slap on the lid. You may need to stir it occasionally, or take off the lid if it has to much water in it. when done throw on some cheese and dive in. You may have noticed this is a bit like making hamburger helper. I like the idea of hamburger helper, but think it's tastes bad, so I made this method up, and it works pretty good!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Lets all go to Jack Taylor's to celebrate!
CraftyLittleLady
CraftyLittleLady

I heart crafts!

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 26, 2010 12:24:47 AM »

Egg Salad Sandwich

Plain Toasted Bread

Anything with spam.  Spam sandwich, Spam salad. Spam omelette.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

When I'm not making crafts, I'm dreaming them up!
JulieOZ
« Reply #37 on: July 26, 2010 02:36:53 PM »

I had my neice & nephew the other day & they requested Peanut buter subs.... I forgot about those.

1 slice squish white bread (wonder, store brand etc) or 1 hot dog roll. spread bread with peanut butter. sprinkle with crumbled corn flakes or rasin bran. slice a banana in half lengthwise  if using bread lay banana down diagonaly across bread  or on hot dog roll. cheap & filling.  We didn't have them very often, but once in a while, for lunch with a glass of milk.

Another one my neice reminded me of, a sandwich spread my Mom would make, really good on wraps too!! for each person use 1 hard boiled egg, 2 tablespons chick peas (chi chi beans), a little shredded (grated) carrot, a little mayo, a little mustard, a little sweet pickle relish. salt & pepper. mash the chick peas a little with the back of a spoon or fork. Rough chop egg into bowl add everything else to taste, start slow esp w mayo & mustard.    Now when I make it I will add different spices, very good with cumin & or curry. Also I like to add chopped black olives & shredded broccoli "trunks".

My Gram worked as an inspector, inturpetor & liazon between the migrant workers 7 the farm oweners in our area so we always had lots of fresh produce. My Mom would strech fresh frut & veggies as much as she could.
Broccoli & cawliflower the florets would be steamed or put in to mac & cheese, the stems "trunks" shredded & tossed in a bag in freezer... she added it to everything. Same with shredded carrots (man I hatted shredding carrots when I was a kid, we did it all by hand)

« Last Edit: July 26, 2010 02:48:28 PM by JulieOZ » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Selnith
Ruler of Geek

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 27, 2010 07:58:05 AM »

cup-a-soup and pasta, it's really good
i tend to prefer using the tomato based ones but i guess the others (like chicken) would work too, just put your water on to boil, tip in your cup-a-soup, mix briskly, tip in pasta, stir occaisionally till pasta is done
you may prefer to use more than one sachet for a more flavourful sauce
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Only dead fish swim with the stream.
tynwia
Reduce, reuse, recycle it into something useful.

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 28, 2010 09:24:59 AM »

Am I the only one who grew up with creamed peas on toast?? I still make it today. Can of peas some chicken bullion dissolve cornstarch in milk make the peas into gravy serve on hot buttered toast. My kids love it.
Also back in the "welfare" days I used to boil chicken parts til the meat fell of the bone. Through it in a pan with rice and cream of mushroom soup heat it all up. Nummy! Next day use the broth and left over rice to make soup. Wow the good old days!
The spam cocktail has got to be the weirdest thing I've ever seen.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.wists.com/tynwia
I have a button addiction.......
Up for personal swaps Smiley
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Nic Pizzolatto Talks About Galveston
Nic Pizzolatto Offers Readers Some Words of Wisdom
Steve Martin Reads from Born Standing Up
Andrew Clements Talks About Report Cards
Remixing Shakespeare
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Honey Roasted Parsnip Soup
@Home This Weekend: Bee Magnets
Tute Tuesday: Rustic Fabric Pumpkins

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...