A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 298,792
Currently Running With Scissors:
355 Guests and 4 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: What weird meals have you made while totally broke?  (Read 13967 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

ZombieKilledtheMilkman
« Reply #50 on: November 18, 2010 10:25:16 PM »

I always seem to be in the hole when it comes to money.

What I love (and still make when I'm not broke) is any version of cheap Asian noodles. What you do is take a pack of Ramen noodles, throw away the packet, and cook it up. Then throw it in a pan with some leftover packets from previous takeout (soy sauce, sweet and sour sauce, hot mustard, you get the idea). I like to add some crushed red peppers to give it a bite. You just heat it up in the pan for a minute and devour.

You can also cook some broccoli in the sauce before adding the noodles, or use a tiny can of 99cent mushrooms. Just improvise and throw in whatever you want. You get the idea.

This can also be made with any type of pasta. I've made it with radiatore, bowties, spaghetti, etc.

Also, if you have an Ocean State Job Lot near you they should sell organic Udon noodles for $1. It all depends on how broke you are.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2010 10:29:16 PM by ZombieKilledtheMilkman » THIS ROCKS   Logged
MareMare
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Bath and Beauty Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Soapmakers do it with bubbles

Don't be a soap licker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: November 18, 2010 11:39:44 PM »

when i was a kid, my mom used to get *really* creative. one thing i remember (and am not ashamed to say i still make when i myself am broke) is Spam Cocktail. crack open a can of spam, slice it up, lay it on a cookie sheet. pop open a can of fruit cocktail, pour it over the top. cook. done.

yep, thought it was totally normal for YEARS.

oh...I'm sorry, but I think that is possibly the worst thing I have ever heard of lol!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Soaps by MareMare Blog Updated! 8/27

~Calling all Quilters! It's time to join the 2014 Quiltalong!~

Love painting your nails? Check out the Awesome Manicure Thread!
CraftyLittleLady
CraftyLittleLady

I heart crafts!

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 26, 2010 05:09:18 PM »

I love breads.  When I am totally broke, I can just eat toasted bread with whatever available spreads. Or I crack an egg and add it to instant noodles.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

When I'm not making crafts, I'm dreaming them up!
zowiewoahie

But it's my BIRTHDAY tomorrow!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: December 11, 2010 10:21:27 AM »

Ya know, Spam cocktail dose not sound so weird... Spam is a pork product, and I know you girls have made or seen hams baked with jam or preserves. Pork chops served with applesauce, prosciutto with melon... Spam is popular in Hawaii, maybe span cocktail would work there? Cheesy  I still am going to pass though!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Lets all go to Jack Taylor's to celebrate!
nachturnal
« Reply #54 on: July 13, 2011 07:20:03 AM »

I didn't really make weird food when I was broke (I'm Asian, so nearly all I eat is rice anyway which isn't very expensive), more like when it's 3AM and nowhere is open so I just nuke ALL my bits of leftovers and mix them together.  Great when leftovers is pizza and wingdings, not so great when you have what's in my fridge now: rabbit, ratatouille, roast, mashed potato, gravy, and eggs.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
JulieML
« Reply #55 on: July 13, 2011 01:56:00 PM »

I never thought it was weird but people have told me it was. I still like a cheap frozen potpie over a baked potato or mashed potato.

I also LOVE to heat up a little leftover rice with a tiny bit of butter in a frying pan, then add a couple eggs & scramble. ADD WHATEVER SPICES OR HERBS SOUND GOOD THAT DAY.

a can of refried beans heated with a bit of hot sauce & some frozen corn.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Lionne
brain and food color eating were-zombie

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: July 14, 2011 04:39:38 AM »

When I was younger and just moved into my own appartement I couldn't even cook (for a few months I didn't even have an oven or a refridgerator nor plates, forks and knives...) and wasn't able to handle money. So you can guess I was broke so many times.
Things I ate then were noodles with salt and curry powder. Sometimes I still eat it nowadays, but add mozarella.
Another thing was bread with butter and fries spice. Wasn't very tasty...
And one time I had absolutely no money and all I had to eat was a jar of honey. i didn't even had bread. I just ate the honey.
I'm so glad these times are over.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.wists.com/lionne

I'm interested in personal swaps.
For a project I'm in need of Christmas countdown inchies! If you're interested and/or want more information feel free to pm me.
pixie24
« Reply #57 on: July 14, 2011 08:52:50 AM »

not really when i was broke but when my dad got sick. he was put on a super strict and limited diet (basically freshwater fish, white chicken meat, leafy veggies, almost no spices, and anything that is tasteless). we had to purge the pantry of anything he might sneak into eating. since i like brown bagging my lunch, i was subtly forced to take care of the purging. so i had to be creative with all the canned stuff in the pantry.

my favorites:

-corn corned beef: canned corned beef cooked with a can of tomato sauce and corn kernels. mix in some cooked rice.
-cheesy corn: corn kernels, some shredded cheese, a little butter, and a little dash of chili for a kick. put in the microwave just enough to melt the cheese and enjoy
-cheesy tuna tots: mix canned tuna flakes (minus the liquid) with some shredded cheese. prep some of those mashed potato box mixes. get some of the tuna and cheese and cover it wish some mashed potato. fry.

this one my aunt made when i was a kid. we call it ketchup rice. it basically leftover rice sauteed with some cubed ham or sausage or whatever cured meat there is. add some frozen peas, carrot, corn mix, shredded omelet (scrambled egg cooked like a very thin crepe then shredded). then add some of those ketchup packets from fast foods.

i didn't really like it much but my other cousins did.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
PixieSkull
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Glittery Macabre

Nat 20! Woot!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #58 on: July 31, 2011 06:00:15 PM »

My mom raised me and my brother mostly alone since my dad worked from 2am to 5pm and went to bed at 7pm. She made lots of potatoes/noodles/rice based dishes with choice of meat and cream of whatever soup. Our favorite for YEARS was chicken breasts, rice, and cream of mushroom soup mixed with cream of chicken soup. Still crave it, despite Campbells including MSG everywhere. Pancakes for dinner were common, too. Me and my brother were alone for breakfast in mornings. Cereal, oatmeal, cream of wheat, lots of bread (dad's a bread man so we always had extra bread loaves all over - 5 at least) and eggs.

Ramen mixed with anything - veggies, meat, just seasoning packet, whatever
Peanut butter and bacon sandwiches (still a favorite, yummm)
French toast - all the time
Noodles or rice with margarine - still awesome, quick, carb-loaded
Tuna pasta - can of tuna fried with olive oil, garlic powder and onion powder, mixed with boiled noodles
Smoothies - any flavor soymilk and/or yogurt, any fruit available or just jelly
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~*My Etsy Shop*~
I'm a level 9 rouge, b***h!
I do personal swaps!
pixie24
« Reply #59 on: August 01, 2011 11:17:11 AM »

i did the rice and margarine too when i was a kid. then eventually it evolved to rice with cheese whiz spread and a little butter. then nuke it in the microwave until the cheese bubbles.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Whispered Lies Book Trailer
Tom Pelphrey on Playing Jonathan Randall in Guiding Light
Convention Brings Origami Lovers Into the Fold
How to Fold the Longest-Flying Paper Airplanes
How to Make a Paper Hat
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Sherlock Matchbox
@Home This Weekend: Bottlecap Magnets
Tute Tuesday: Dark Chocolate Bacon Pecan Pie

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...