A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News: Craftster Best of 2014 have been announced!  Check out the winning projects here!
Total Members: 301,210
Currently Running With Scissors:
381 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: What weird meals have you made while totally broke?  (Read 14998 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

astrangeone
The Paper Alchemist

Fueled by the scent of rubber shavings....

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2010 09:11:21 PM »

The dollar store near my university was great at stocking strange but good food.

My go to meal?

Canned ham + pasta (no sauce), and a handful of peas.  It went a long way and you could also cook or glaze the ham with anything you had on hand.

Also...tuna fish with a lot of hot sauce (stolen from my roommate's taco bell stash).

Bread pudding was a go to thing too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I handcarve stamps, knit and have organic catnip.

Got shopping?:  http://www.shophandmade.com/Store/Madstamps

Personal Swapping...activated!

Looking for:  ATCs, some dry non-sanded grout mix

Got a 3DS?  I can clear save data from your games!  (Including RE Mercs 3D.)
scorpios_stinger
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2010 06:02:19 AM »

When we are pretty much out of food, and no moolah. We eat ramen noodles and a salad. I always have both on hand. I pour all of the water out of the pot and add butter to the noodles and half of the seasoning packet. yumm
THIS ROCKS   Logged
bookstorebabe

Girl Genius! Kaja&Phil Foglio

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2010 01:53:35 PM »

Soup. Canned tomatos, a chopped onion-or dried onion bits if I must. Any old veggies in the fridge-hey, too old for salad still works for soup. I saute the veggies a bit first. What? There's a can of corn and a can of mushrooms on the shelf? Score!Whatever spices sound good.
Hot sauce packets, or even barbeque sauce, or bouillon, or a couple of seasoning packages from ramen. Not all of the above! But seasoning of some kind.Taste as you go. Ballest-noodles, rice, beans and or potatos.Even wrinkled, sprouted potatos can be peeled down enough for use, you know.
It's called-"It's healthy, dammit" soup, and can be suprisingly tasty. I'll even make it when not broke, then I upgrade it a bit.

Warm cooked white rice with butter and brown sugar for breakfast, mmm. Rice is cheap, this is yummy.

And yay ramen, with any veggie I can find tossed in.

Dunno how weird these are, but good broke food.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

"If you're going to go for tech that doesn't exist,think Willy Wonka,not Hoover!" Firefairy@craftster
<a href="http://StudioLTD@etsy.com.>StudioLTD"</a>| Couponcode CRAFTSTER 10%
<a href=https://www.etsy.com/shop/HipsterHive?ref=shop_sugg>HipsterHive</a>|
http://www.pinterest.com/studioltd6
BabyCakes8510

*Sparkly like a holiday*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2010 11:55:23 AM »

My mom used to make us hamburger on toast. It doesn't take much hamburger, maybe 1/2 a lb. Butter some bread, put it on a sheet pan, sprinkle a few bits of raw hamburger on the bread, liberally salt and pepper and bake in the oven until the hamburger is cooked. Its actually really yummy.

I made it one time for myself and my husband and he FREAKED OUT! He thinks its completely weird.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SevsOnlyGirl
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2010 12:41:43 PM »

I used to make a box of Rice-A-Roni (really cheap!), mix in a little bit of browned hamburger and some veggies (corn or peas usually).  It's really filling and you can serve several people!

In college we used to have toast parties! Cheesy  Surprisingly, a good topping is Italian dressing.  Or add some butter and garlic and dip it in spaghetti sauce.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
uropygid
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2010 08:09:04 AM »

Ramen sandwiches.

There's a very fine balance to cooking the ramen... you need to cook it enough to get the noodles softened, but still chewy; and to keep them in the cake shape they come out of the package in. Scoop it out quick with a slotted spatula so the water drains, sprinkle seasoning on it. Meanwhile put whatever sauce on your bread - mayo, mustard, salad dressing (from packets gathered at the grocery store....) - then slap the ramen, and maybe some cheese, on the bread. Enjoy your carbwich.  Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged

-Max

live in the MN metro? I'm always up for craft meets!
Trekky
« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2010 09:35:41 AM »

Propaganda - I used to eat pasta sandwiches.  Pasta, cooked, drained & cooled, add grated carrot & mayo and put in a sarnie.

Carb-overload  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://craftytrekky.blogspot.com/

I have lots of train tickets (I get the train most days), if anyone wants some for papercrafting just send me a PM Smiley
Neiko
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2010 03:39:13 PM »

The other week I was CRAVING soft pretzels but didn't want to buy anything so at the end of the week when we were dirt poor I decided I might as well look it up and "holy crap! I have this all in my house!" It didn't turn out well but damn! did they taste delicious!

I've also made "ramen cake" where you make the ramen as directed drain the water add an egg and throw it in a pan until it's cooked through. Extremely salty.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Selnith
Ruler of Geek

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2010 04:27:56 AM »

we just tend to stir fry things
if in doubt, stirfry
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Only dead fish swim with the stream.
achgfd
« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2010 12:39:46 PM »

when we were poor with nothing in the house, we would make "pa-pa" sandwiches.
White bread with butter, then folded in it brown sugar. mmmmm yummy.

also Syrup on white bread, but we were kids. :S

Nowadays I like to make my own 'chicken alfredo'. get the cheap liptons alfredo sauce packets, and chicken nuggets. cook the nuggets and sauce seperately, then mix them together. Delicious! Especially leftovers.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Grill Lobster Tails
How to Grill Corn On The Cob
How to Make Beef Tenderloin
Crock Pot Recipes - Chicken Chili
How to Make Banana Pancakes
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Buffalo Spaghetti Squash
@Home This Weekend: Ticket Stub Shadowbox
Fishy fishy fishy...

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...