A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 297,139
Currently Running With Scissors:
664 Guests and 25 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Need input from the colorblind  (Read 5906 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

cyndy225
« on: June 06, 2010 11:29:20 AM »

Okay, I know that sounds like a strange request, but you know those colorful dots color blind tests? If you have normal vision you should be able to read all of the numbers. If you are colorblind (depending on which colors) you may only be able to see some of the numbers.

I thought those looked really neat and tried to recreate one. These are post earrings (figured I'd tell you since you can't see the back...) The colors are a little darker than I had planned, but oh well. Now I just want to know if they work! So, for all the colorblind craftsters, can you see the numbers??

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Chelsea K
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2010 12:25:07 PM »

These are awesome I'm excited to see if there are color blind people to test these out.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sweetpetunia
Say No To Drugs, Say Yes To Tacos!!!

Veggie Tales!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2010 12:48:18 PM »

I asked my boyfriend, and he said: On the earrings YES! on the piece of paper NO.

He said the colors we not vibrant on the piece of paper, and therefore looked the same.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

-Ashley

~ Amazingly helpful website!!: http://glassattic.com/polymer/contents.htm
cyndy225
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2010 01:04:54 PM »

Well darn.

Thanks so much for asking him! I guess I'll have to try harder for more subtle colors. On the plus side, they're so small in person that it's hard to see the numbers unless you get up close anyway...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SierraPapaCharlie

Be more awesome.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2010 01:23:59 PM »

I think they're neat, regardless of whether they actually work as a colorblindness test. Did you make them from a cane?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am convinced that the only people worthy of consideration in this world are the unusual ones. For the common folks are like the leaves of a tree, and live and die unnoticed. L. Frank Baum

http://sierrapapacharlie.wordpress.com

http://www.wists.com/sierrapapacharlie
erdbeerblau
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2010 02:18:18 PM »

what a fun idea.

if the original ones are viewed in black/white mode (photoshop or something) there's no number  - the light greens and light reds are the same shade of gray (and the dark shades of red/green ).
your middle red-shade seems to be darker than your middle green-shades, so maybe that's the reason? (i *think* if colourblinds can't see the different shades, then it's the shade of grey that counts)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

cyndy225
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2010 02:42:05 PM »

I think they're neat, regardless of whether they actually work as a colorblindness test. Did you make them from a cane?

Thanks! And yes, they're made from a cane. Many, many little red and green pieces all put together...

erdbeerblau, that might be it. It's hard to figure out how they look to someone else. I can't really imagine how things would look if I were colorblind. I did notice, however, that one side of the 5 has a lot of the same tones of red.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Chelsea K
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2010 03:26:40 PM »

I think they would work if they didnt have the dark red ones
THIS ROCKS   Logged
raeraethejetplane
Take me out 2 the black Tell them I aint comin back

RIP Blue kitty Jan. 1994 - April 2010

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2010 03:44:41 PM »

Most colorblind people I have met have issues with reds and purples. Something to keep in mind. Colorblindness is much more common in males than females so ask the mens in your life. You may already know some one. Each colorblind guy I knew, I knew them for a while before they ever mentioned they were colorblind. I love these earrings. They look nifty Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Blitherypoop
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2010 04:46:45 PM »

erdbeerblau is right.  The reason they don't work is because they have to be the same saturation for both colors.  That's gonna be really tough to do.

Red/green colorblindness is the most common, and yes, it's more common in men.  Colorblindness is carried on the X chromosome.  Men only have one X, so if it's defective, they're colorblind.  Women have two, so if they have a defective and a healthy, the healthy one fixes it and they're not colorblind.  A colorblind man can be born to a woman who is colorblind or carries the gene, but a colorblind woman has to have a mother who's a carrier or colorblind AND a colorblind father.

... I have a 1/4 chance of being a carrier, which is why this intrests me.  My grandmother carried it, my uncle is colorblind, my mother has a 50/50 chance of being a carrier... but we don't know if she is because she never had a son.  If I ever have a son I'll wonder right away if he's colorblind. Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Jonathan Alter Talks About The Defining Moment
Meet Author James Loewen
Meet Author Vincent Flynn
Message to Librarians from Mac Barnett
Reynolds Price Reveals Her Motto
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!
Spotlight on: Woodburning

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...