A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 298,241
Currently Running With Scissors:
812 Guests and 28 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: La Tua Cantante Cupcakes; Strawberry-Filled Vampire Cupcake Tutorial  (Read 4200 times)
Tags for this thread: cupcake , twilight , new_moon , eclipse , vampire , strawberry , tutorial , true_blood  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Mistress Jennie
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

~*Craftster formerly known as jennieingram*~

I really need a Sonic Seam Ripper.

View Profile WWW
« on: June 05, 2010 06:44:23 PM »

La Tua Cantante Cupcakes
(Twilight Inspired Strawberry-Filled Cupcakes)

My good friend Ex_Gratia just turned 21 in April.  As her birthday was on a Monday night, and she already had a big party planned for the following weekend, she asked if we could do something simple and quiet on her actual birthday.  She thought long and hard about what we should do, and decided that she wanted to come over, have a glass of wine, some dinner, and watch Twilight & New Moon.  Pretty darn good plan I thought.  (Yes, we both admitted its not a very exciting 21st, but were okay with being dorks.)  So, after planning a delicious meal, I knew I needed to plan an even more awesome dessert.  I decided that in honor of the vampire filled evening, we were going to need  La Tua Cantante Cupcakes.  
To be more specific, Strawberry-Filled French Vanilla Cupcakes, oozing a thick blood-red filling from two perfect puncture wounds.

Since the dinner was on a weeknight, and I didnt want to be eating at midnight, I did some prep work on dinner and decorated the cupcakes that morning.  And I admit that I started with a boxed cake mix & pre-made frosting because I had so much other cooking to do.  (Recipes for the Milk & Mustard Baked Ham, and Hash-brown Casserole I made that night will come later!)  I knew what I wanted to make, and had seen plenty of cupcakes decorated with gel icing, which was not what I was quite going for.  I did bother to consult the interwebs about a few things.  Specifically the best way to FILL cupcakes.  Heres  my tutorial on all of it.

Software:
1 Cake Mix I used French Vanilla, which was very vampirific shade of white
1 container of Frosting I used Cream Cheese Frosting which I improved upon by adding a few drops of Almond Extract, 2 T of milk, and about C confectioners sugar
1 can of Strawberry Pie Filling
Shimmer or Pearl Dust (optional)

Hardware:
1 paring knive
1 butter knife
a few toothpicks
1 zip top bag (sandwhich size)
1 writing tip
1 coupler

Start by baking the cupcakes according to the package directions.  Allow them to cool completely.  I cannot stress this enough, they must be COOL!  While they are cooling you can doctor up your pre-packaged frosting if you wish.  I always add a bit of extract (almond), milk, and confectioners sugar to mine whenever I use to, to make it taste & behave more like homemade.  

Now, gather your hardware.  Begin by placing a cupcake on a stable surface, and find your most comfortable-to-handle paring knife.

Insert your knife, at about a 45 degree angle, into the cupcake about halfway between the center and the outer edge.  Run your knife around in a circle, to cut out a cone of the cake.   Slice off the tip of the cone, and hollow out any stray bits of cake that you think may get in your way for the next step

Now, use a spoon to extract a single strawberry, and a bit of its surrounding gel, from the can of filling.  Drop the strawberry into the cavity of the cupcake.

Be sure not to overfill, because you will need to place the cupcake top that youve cut out, back on top.  Repeat with all the remaining cupcakes.

Now, frost your cupcakes with your improved-upon frosting.  The stickiness of the gel should hold the tops onto the cupcakes while you frost.  If you like your vampires to sparkle, you can also take this opportunity to add a bit of Shimmer or Pearl Dust onto the top of the frosting.  These are commercially available and completely edible cake decorating products that can be found in cake, party supply, and craft stores including Joanns or Hobby Lobby.  They are generally just brushed on with a pastry brush, but be sure to check the directions on whatever you purchase.

After frosting your cupcakes, you are ready to add the all important oozing puncture wounds.  Start by taking a toothpick and making two small holes into the frosting, about 1 1/4 to 1 apart.  You only need to go through the frosting on this step, not all the way into the cacvity in the cupcake.  Dont worry if you do accidentally pierce the top of the cupcake, but dont go out of your way, or make a mess, going any further in.

Next, take a zip top bag, and cut off the tip.  Fit it with a coupler, and a writing tip.  (These cake decorating products come in very useful in the kitchen and can be found cheaply in any cake, party supply, kitchen, or craft store.  The tip slips between the two pieces of the coupler, which screws together, with the bag between them, holding the tip in place.)  Fill the bag with some of the strawberry pie filling gel, but not any of the berries.  Try to avoid any berry pulp as well, as it can clog the tip.  Remove the excess air from the bag, and zip closed.  

Place the tip down on some wax paper and begins squeezing the bag to start dispensing the filling.  Now, start with one of the puncture wounds you have made.  Place the tip at the hole, and squeeze the bag lightly, making a small stream of gel.  Gently increase the pressure the closer you get to the edge of the cupcake, so that the blood pools in a larger drip than it started as.    

Repeat with the remaining cupcakes.  Be careful not to put too much filling right at the edge, if they are going to sit a while before serving, or gravity may do its work and pull some of the heavier drops off the edge and youll have to go back at touch them up later.

Serve the delicious treats to the hungry hoards and bask in the glow of their wonder at youre amazing cake skills.  

Pssst...  Chocolate cupcakes with cherry filling would be amazing too!  Just sayin'...
« Last Edit: June 30, 2010 08:30:18 AM by jennieingram - Reason: fixing typo » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mistress Jennie's Etsy | Facebook | Pinterest | Harry Potter Craftalong

It does not due to dwell on dreams and forget to craft.
TroubleT
Tutorial Contributor

No try, just do.

I'm the Irish Latina Ninja!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2010 06:59:16 PM »

Wow! Those look tasty! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
amazing_784
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2010 07:24:14 PM »

Awesome!  I'm not into Twilight, but I'm totally into those cupcakes.  Maybe even a larger-scale version would work too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kaleidoscope_eyes
dimestore diamond -shines just like the real thing

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2010 07:45:06 PM »

Oh! I love them. These would be perfect for the True Blood party we're having for the premier. Thanks for sharing all your steps!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

pinkleo
Crochet Moderator
Craftalongs Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

~*HPC Headmistress*~

lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2010 09:17:49 PM »

Oh! I love them. These would be perfect for the True Blood party we're having for the premier. Thanks for sharing all your steps!
Ooooooo......I was completely focused on twilight and forgot how fab this would be for True Blood....Fab Idea that I shall steal! Cheesy Grin

Thank you jennie for sharing! Kiss
THIS ROCKS   Logged

theharlequinade
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2010 02:09:50 PM »

These are pretty much my ideal cupcakes.  I love cake, I love twilight (even though I'm leaning toward Team Jacob but shhh)   Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Ex_Gratia

I sew therefore I am

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2010 10:13:42 AM »

yay! my birthday cupcakes!!! they were so delicious too!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Visit my etsy please! I'd love to have feedback from other crafters!
http://www.etsy.com/shop/TheFlippantFlapper?ref=ss_profile
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Olivia Wilde - TRON: Legacy
Watch, Pass, or Rent: Love, Burlesque, Tangled, & King
Watch, Pass, or Rent: Harry Potter & The Next Three Days
Harry Potter Cast Secrets: 10 Things You May Not Know
How Students of the World Develops Documentary Filmmakers
Latest Blog Articles
October 29, 2014 Featured Projects
Craft Challenge #103, Foodie Frenzy 2 Winner
Tute Tuesday: Upcycled Car Trash Bag with Liner

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...