A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 302,551
Currently Running With Scissors:
863 Guests and 35 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Coiled Fairy Wings  (Read 1685 times)
Tags for this thread: fairy , wings  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

KyaStar

I like pretty things <3

View Profile
« on: June 04, 2010 11:34:49 PM »

I used the cord for curtains and upholstery found in the backs of most JoAnnes, wrapped that in soft metal wires, and then lined the back cross and most of the wings with hanger wire for support, and then coiled over all that with yarn.  If you would notice--the designs inside the wings are in all purpose symmetrical like real wings.  It was actaully pretty easy to do.  The second time I had a pattern.  The first time was just trying to fill up a predetermined space.

The story: My final project in my Fiber Arts Class was a wearable project.  I didn't want to make a wearable project I would never wear.  What did other people make?  A coiled hat, a revamped bra, felted beer mittens... (there was a bottle cap opener attached! It was silly), a bag or two.   I wanted to be awesome so of course I tell her "Fairy Wings".

Why do I alway choose projects that are too much work?  I did the same thing for my high school fibers class, I picked a huge project--not just a big one. Anyway, with the teacher looking at me like "What is she thinking--she'll never get this done" I did it! 

I had to pull my first college all-nighter for this.  I finished 2 hours before class. I changed my clothes, and left for class early,proudly wearing my wings.... in the snow. ^_^ 

I don't know how long this took.  This project was made at the same time as my weaving.   (the weaving was due a week before, so i basically put most of this off until that week.)

Though, I didn't do as good as I wanted. The back has gaps because I only had time to focus on one side sadly.  If I ever make this into a full costume for Halloween or something--I'll go back and try to fix that.  For now it's fine. ^_^
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"People often say that motivation doesnt last. Well, neither does bathing thats why we recommend it daily." Zig Ziglar
crazycandy999
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2010 11:44:35 PM »

Wow these are amazing, when I first saw the picture I thought they were small, then i scrolled down and saw you wearing them!! BEST WINGS EVER!!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
KyaStar

I like pretty things <3

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2010 11:54:34 PM »

Wow these are amazing, when I first saw the picture I thought they were small, then i scrolled down and saw you wearing them!! BEST WINGS EVER!!!!
haha! Thank you very much. ^_^ Yes, they are quite large. I'm so used to looking at them, I didn't even think of their size being mistaken.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"People often say that motivation doesnt last. Well, neither does bathing thats why we recommend it daily." Zig Ziglar
susie in the sky
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2010 02:09:19 AM »

They're amazing!!!!!!!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My crafty, eco-y, charity shopp-y, vegan-y, happy-y blog...

http://secondhandsusie.blogspot.co.uk/
AGFH
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2010 08:53:15 AM »

THANK YOU!!!!!!

I am in charge of the wings for my granddaughter's fairy halloween costume and I was at a complete loss as to how to make them stable and stylish. You have just saved my grandma butt!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I was off to save the world....until I was distracted by something shiny.
KyaStar

I like pretty things <3

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2010 09:36:12 AM »

THANK YOU!!!!!!

I am in charge of the wings for my granddaughter's fairy halloween costume and I was at a complete loss as to how to make them stable and stylish. You have just saved my grandma butt!
haha! Well, I'm glad I could help! Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

veinomenoca
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2010 06:13:56 PM »

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you! There is a fairy fest yearly near where I live, and I have been dying to make my own wings. You are an insperation!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
KyaStar

I like pretty things <3

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2010 10:13:05 PM »

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you! There is a fairy fest yearly near where I live, and I have been dying to make my own wings. You are an insperation!
A Festival?!  Sounds like fun!  Good luck! Make sure you post your wings when you make them. ^_^
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Leftover Turkey Cobb Sandwich Recipe
How to Revamp Your Thanksgiving Leftovers
Recipes: What To Do With All Those Thanksgiving Leftovers
Leftover Turkey Sandwich Recipe
Inspired Leftover Ideas
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...