A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 297,571
Currently Running With Scissors:
621 Guests and 37 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Vegan-friendly Floggers (mostly rope)  (Read 5939 times)
Tags for this thread: adult  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Delectably Deviant
the artist formerly known as monkeystuffer

No power in the 'verse can stop me.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« on: June 10, 2010 05:29:07 PM »

Whilst dating a vegan boy a while ago, I discovered that there are not very many floggers out there that aren't made of leather, and most of the ones that are available are incredibly stingy black rubber.  I started experimenting with making my own floggers out of various materials, and even though I'm not seeing that guy anymore, I still can't seem to stop with the rope.  Especially after I found some in almost eye-searingly bright colors. XD

They're all made very simply, just the rope folded over a steel ring and tightly wrapped with cord for the handle.  The handles are surprisingly rigid, though they do bend a little bit under enough pressure (they bend right back in place though).

Watermelon flogger:

Blueberry flogger:

Stripey flogger:

Fluffy flogger:

Stripey beater:

In my quest for vegan-friendly flogger materials, I also found some rubber tubing at Home Depot.  Surprisingly, it feels more like a leather flogger than anything else I could find, though it makes an incredibly silly bouncy/squeaky sound when it's used, and the tails have a tendency to swing a little wildly.  There's another one of these floggers in the works with a copper pipe as a handle - I'm hoping the tails will swing a little nicer if they're bunched better in the handle.   

Somewhere there's also a small whisk-type thing made with scratchy hemp rope, but I didn't get a photo of that.

So, comments, crits, advice, etc. welcome as always. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

veinomenoca
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2010 06:05:33 PM »

Wink kudos to you! I like the rope, it is nylon correct? This is great material for people who have allergies too. It is easy to clean, and can be bought descreatly without everyone in the world knowing, "Hay I'm into BD/SM!" It is also something that is not very expensive, so adding a new peice to the toy box will not break the bank.

I see that you have bound the bottom of each tip. It looks like metal, what exactly did you use? If it is a close-er ring (sp?) I'm not sure how that would be against the skin with lots of force. Have you thought of sewing it closed? I applaud you in not burning the ends since this can cut the skin. Besides the rope, you could use duct tape since it comes in colors and is teeth frendly too. The coper tube sounds like it would be pretty. Maybe a carved wooden handle would be a future addition?

The rubber tube I believe will always go alittle wild. You could try tubbing that is a little stiffer, but I'm not sure how well that will flex.

For anyone thinking of trying flogging, please, for your safety and others. Read up on the topic, and talk with others who have done this before. If you do not know what you are doing, you can seriously injure the other person. This can be an enjoyable activity if you educate yourself.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
justaddcats
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2010 06:41:14 PM »

What a fun project to explore! Very creative use of materials & I bet they're even more fun to use than to look at!  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
windswept
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2010 11:23:46 PM »

Ooh, pretty! I love the blueberry one.

I was actually poking at the idea of homemade floggers recently; I can't believe I never thought of rope. Brilliance! (the one I made was out of that Rexlace stuff, but that's more stingy than thuddy. entertaining to make, either way.)

I wonder if there's a way to finish the ends and have them stay, though? (I see you bound them with the same cord as the handle, yes?)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Avi
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2010 11:30:29 PM »

My boyfriends going to love it when I show him this one! We've looked at DIY toys and floggers before, but nothing this inexpensive and pretty Smiley Great ideas, and can't wait to try the rubber tubing- it looks fun Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Delectably Deviant
the artist formerly known as monkeystuffer

No power in the 'verse can stop me.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2010 08:01:49 PM »

Thanks, y'all. Smiley  Windswept and Avi, if you make some I hope you'll post them!

Veinomenoca and windswept, the ends of the rope are whipped (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YMq9KdOtSJ0), two of them with thread and one with the same cord used on the handle.  I'm not sure how well the thread will hold up, but I wanted to use something that wouldn't add any sting to the impact. 

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Adobe Photoshop CS2 - How to Zoom an Image
Adobe Photoshop CS2 - How to Organize Palettes and Saving Workspaces
Adobe Photoshop CS2 - How to Customize Keyboard Shortcuts
Adobe Photoshop CS2 - How to Choose Creative Suite Color Settings
Adobe Photoshop CS2 - How to Choose Color Settings
Latest Blog Articles
Are You Ready For Some Football?
Meatless Monday: Banana Pudding
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...