A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,087
Currently Running With Scissors:
490 Guests and 5 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Fantasy Weaving  (Read 4903 times)
Tags for this thread: fantasy , featured_project  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

KyaStar

I like pretty things <3

View Profile
« on: June 04, 2010 10:30:48 PM »

My weaving I made in my fiber design class in College.  We were supposed to base it off about an artist or piece of art.  I based this off Josephine Wall's "Key to Eternity". http://img.allposters.com/6/LRG/18/1847/AYG8D00Z.jpg
  I focused on a two inch area on a poster I have of that--it's an amazing poster with so much going on, I didn't even see that part the first time I looked at it.  But now I can't help looking at it.  I want to escape into that world in the keyhole, so that's why I chose to weave it with the animal and butterflies... though I sort of wish I didn't put in the bugs in hindsight.  Those were supposed to balance and add to the idea I was going for... But the animal is really supposed to represent all my work in the shelters and the feeling I get when an animal is adopted.  But for now he's waiting. Sad  Sadness.

The coloring is so different because my printer was low on colors and I kind of like how the colors turned out! haha!

Many, Many hours of work.  I don't know how much but I watched (well, listened to) over 200 episodes of Dragon Ball Z and that was at the 1/4-1/2 range when I started watching them. (so at least 100 hours of work in less than 2 months.)

« Last Edit: June 04, 2010 10:33:15 PM by KyaStar » THIS ROCKS   Logged

"People often say that motivation doesnt last. Well, neither does bathing thats why we recommend it daily." Zig Ziglar
PixieVal
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

There is no right or wrong, when it comes to making art. Making sure that you have fun is the most important part. -Mickey Mouse

Did he just go crazy and fall asleep?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2010 10:37:46 PM »

amazing. I can't even comprehend how you get that much detail and meaning out there, do you draw it on the strings first? I adore the fox looking towards the keyhole
THIS ROCKS   Logged

KyaStar

I like pretty things <3

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2010 10:43:19 PM »

amazing. I can't even comprehend how you get that much detail and meaning out there, do you draw it on the strings first? I adore the fox looking towards the keyhole
Thanks!
I did draw it on in pink highlighter of all things, but I printed out the keyhole image and set the paper behind the weaving for reference every so often.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"People often say that motivation doesnt last. Well, neither does bathing thats why we recommend it daily." Zig Ziglar
Purpley Goodness

Increase The Peace!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2010 10:45:24 PM »

That is gorgeous, you really captured the air of mystery, your many hours of work paid off!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Tygermane
Addicted to crafting

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2010 11:12:27 AM »

This is fantastic!  I couldn't even fathom trying to do something like this!  Great job, it's beautiful!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Trekky

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2010 03:32:52 PM »

Beautiful weaving, so detailed! Great work!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://craftytrekky.blogspot.com/

I have lots of train tickets (I get the train most days), if anyone wants some for papercrafting just send me a PM Smiley
ohiodiygirl
"Even when we're apart I can feel you next to me. There's a hidden love connecting us like voices on a string. Even when I'm alone I can tell you're with me. There's a hidden love connecting us and I'm holding on..."

I <3 swaps!

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2010 07:36:34 AM »

Very beautiful! I like your colors much better!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I Sew Cute
Jewelry and Trinkets Moderator

I'm a Fanatic Friend of Craftster!

Take me to the kittens!!! >^.^<

« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2010 11:06:15 AM »

I love seeing your work in progress. The finished piece is great!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out Trinkets & Jewelry! Wink
pinterest
blog
twitter
etsy
Zambaku
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2010 02:56:01 AM »

Wow, just wow. That is beautiful! I'm just starting out with weaving and this gets my imagination going Grin

Just one question about making patterns like that: Do you secure the thread in some way or do you simply snip it off when you'r done with one color area and move on to another?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
KyaStar

I like pretty things <3

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2010 07:57:27 AM »

Wow, just wow. That is beautiful! I'm just starting out with weaving and this gets my imagination going Grin

Just one question about making patterns like that: Do you secure the thread in some way or do you simply snip it off when you'r done with one color area and move on to another?
I should have taken a picture of the back! 

Ya, I just snipped it off leaving a short tail. (unless that color was coming back REALLY soon, so I just leave it long for a while and would use it a row or two later.)  The pressure and tightness of the weaving keeps everything in place, so no worries there.

I'm basically a beginner as well.
This was my first weaving of a picture and just free style like this with discontinuous lines, so try your best! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
United States in Style: New Mexico
5 Ways To Wear A White Dress After Labor Day
Fashions To Help Your Kids Rock The New School Year
How to Wear Sheer Fashions This Fall
New Technology To Fight Against Fake Goods
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Fairy Garden
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: 30th Birthday Tattoo
April 17, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...