A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,147
Currently Running With Scissors:
516 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: my "roll your own needlecases"  (Read 27905 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

melidomi
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

knit like the wind!

View Profile
« on: March 08, 2004 08:14:53 AM »

I made a pair of the "roll your own needlecases" featuring fabric from Ikea.  One for my mom, and one for me.  I also added an extra layer, so that it can store twice as many needles.

my mom's:

mine:

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Midtowner

Where did I put that needle/bead/yarn...

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2004 08:40:09 AM »

I love the double layer idea - is that your own addition?

Very nice!  I was thinking I'd make separate cases for my double points and my straight needles, but perhaps I could combine them.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
redbirdrae

David, by Hasselhoff

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2004 08:46:39 AM »

I would like to make one of these cases, but I am a little confused at the directions. I wasn't quite sure how to attach the fold over flap. Instead of using 4 different fabrics, do you think I could just make the outside a little bit longer so it would fold over as the flap?  Maybe I'd have to double up on the fabric though...? I do like your idea of having the smaller pocket for shorter needes or double-points.

Good job, by the way! I'm jealous of you and your mom!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Nightbird
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2004 09:00:48 AM »

I added a second pocket on mine too!  very handy for shorter needles and DPNs Smiley  yours look great!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am something of a dreamer.
knitter, spinner, tatter, crocheter
melidomi
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

knit like the wind!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2004 09:02:45 AM »

I feel like I may have seen the double layer bit somewhere, but I'm not sure where.    I found that if you make extra of the slots for your huge needles (size 15 and the like) you can fit a set of dpns in there.

as for the flap, I just made it as a separate piece and then sewed it on to the top.  If you were making it out of the same piece of fabric as the outside, the pieceing together would be a bit trickier - I guess you'd sew the top edge of the inside to one edge of the outside/flap piece. then fold that in half and sew around, flip it right side out, and then I think you'd want to topstitch across the top of the lining bit so that it would want to fold there.  Did that make any sense at all?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
knittinknut

Legolas Lives!!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2004 10:09:38 AM »

::)I recently made one of the needle cases myself.  I also found the instructions to be a bit confusing.  I ended up revamping the entire thing.  It turned out the same but I don't have many really long needles so it came out a bit long.  I took one piece of fabric and folded over for the flap and the pocket.  I then sewed the individual slots for the needles (making both bid and small pockets).  I then sewed (inside out) the inside piece to they front piece of fabric (making sure not to sew the flap down) and turned inside out and sewed the last seam.  
THIS ROCKS   Logged
redbirdrae

David, by Hasselhoff

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2004 11:54:30 AM »

After re-thinking it and re-reading the instructions and stopping being dumb, I think I've it figured out now how to do it with the four pieces. Now all I need to do is find some time to go home for a visit and utilize my dad's sewing machine. I'm almost more excited about making this needle case than I am about making stuff with my needles!

Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
geektecgrl
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2004 01:15:58 PM »

I actually made myself a needle roll last summer (without a pattern), to match a big bag and a little accessories case (also made without patterns) I made for my knitting stuff.  I don't have pictures now, but when I get back to my comp, I can post them.

For my needle case, I had two rows of little pockets for needles and on the bottom row, the pockets were twice the size of the ones on the top row. That way, my circs fit in quite nicely!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
redbirdrae

David, by Hasselhoff

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2004 09:51:25 PM »

Thanks to SNB, Hobby Lobby, a 50 year old sewing machine, and a dad who can sew like no one's buisness (thanks to the Army), I now have my own rolled needle case. I heart it! I added the smaller row of pockets, but instead of making both rows of pockets all the same, we sewed under the topmost layer to make some bigger pockets for circular needles and scissors and all that. Very handy.

And, darn it, I don't know how to upload pictures right into my post. Here's the best I can do:

http://www.geocities.com/redbirdrae/knittingpage.html

THIS ROCKS   Logged
heygirl
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2004 01:09:22 PM »

I was at a website and it had a knitted needle case. You just knit a big square and some strings. THen you would put the needle in like a safety pin!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Enjoy the ice cream while it's on your plate."
                      - Thorton Wilder
(Personally I have never heard of Thorton but I like that quote!)
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Lisa Unger: What Are You Reading?
Passionaries by Tonya Hurley Book Trailer
7-Year-Old Shows Off The Book He Wrote About Robots
Mein Kampf Is Still A Best Seller?
Simon Sinek on Working With a Book Editor to Refine Your Writing
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Imprinting on Concrete
Mmm, Bacon!
Meatless Monday: Marinated Pasta Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...