A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 302,744
Currently Running With Scissors:
608 Guests and 20 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Caffeine and capsaicin molecules (with tute)  (Read 1367 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

AbigailsCrafts
« on: June 04, 2010 03:48:17 AM »

You can find the patterns and step-by-step pictures on my blog.

Youll need:

* Coloured beads for the atoms I chose green for carbon, orange for nitrogen, blue for oxygen and red for hydrogen. choose beads with holes large enough for the wire to pass through 4-5 times.
    * Cylinder beads for the bonds. Its up to you how many beads you choose to use for each bond. I used two, but it you want to make a more open molecule you could use more, or if you have longish cylinder beads then just one bead per bond may work fine.
    * Fine beading wire or nylon filament.
    * Wire cutters

Lets start with caffeine.

Begin by making a foundation chain, stringing your cylinder beads between each of the beads, in this order: C, N, C, N, C, N, C, N, C.

Thread two more cylinder beads, and thread the wire through the first bead once more to make a ring. Double the wire back through the last two cylinder beads and the last C bead.

String cylinder beads, an oxygen bead, and two more cylinder beads, then pass the wire through the carbon bead a second time, forming a loop. Thread the wire through the next two cylinder beads and the next N bead.

Now for our first methyl group: string 2 cylinder beads, a C, two more cylinder beads and an H. Double the wire back through the last two cylinder beads and the C. String two more cylinder beads and an H, double back through the bond and the carbon atom. Add another hydrogen in the same way, and thread the wire right through the last bond, the C bead, the next bond, the N bead, the next bond and the next C in the ring. You can see the wire goes up through the C bead for the first H, down to make the second, up again for the third, and down again to finish the group.

Make another double-bonded oxygen and another methyl group by repeating the last two steps.

You should now have passed through the fifth bead in the ring, a C bead. Thread two cylinder beads, pass the wire through the first bead in the ring, thread two more cylinder beads, and pass the wire through the fifth bead once more, and then the next bond and the next N bead.

String two more cylinder beads and thread the wire through the next C bead forming a double bond. Thread two cylinder beads and an H, double back through the ond, and pass the wire through the C bead once more, then through the next bond and next N bead.

Add a methyl group to this N bead in the same way as before.

Finish by passing the wire through the last bond in the ring, twist the ends of the wires together, and hide the loose ends by threading them into the neighbouring beads before trimming off.

And there you go, a caffeine molecule!

Capsaicin is a little more complicated, but uses the same techniques.

pattern for beaded capsacin molecule

This time, your foundation start with two cylinder beads and then as follows: 7xC, N, 9xC, H.

Double back through the last bond and the last C, and add two H beads by doubling back and forth as we did to make methyl groups.

Add a methyl group to the next C atom, as we did for caffeine.

At the next C, string 2 cylinder beads and an H, double back through the bond and pass the wire through the C atom in the same direction as we are working. Thread 2 cylinder beads and pass through the next C to form a double bond, and add another H in the same way as for the last bead.

Add 2 H beads to each of the next four C beads by doubling back and forth as before (I apologise for the mistake in the pattern which shows one bead with just 1 H).

Add a double bonded oxygen as we did for the caffeine molecules.

Add one H to the next N bead by stringing two cylinder beads and an H bead, doubling back through the bond and passing the wire through the N in the same direction as we are working.

Add two H beads to the next C. Pass straight through the next C and then make a double bond by threading two cylinder beads and threading through the next C in the chain. Add a single H to the same bead.

Pass through the next C and string two cylinder beads, an oxygen bead, 2 more cylinders and an H. Double all the way back through the whole side chain and pass the wire through the C in the direction were working.

Repeat the previous step on the next bead.

beaded capsaicin modelFor the last two beads, add a single H to each and a double bond between them by repeating the fourth step. Finish by passing the wire through the last bond and through the 6th-from-last C (the one with no hydrogens or side chains attached) before fastening off the ends and weaving them into the surrounding beads.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

veri
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2010 04:52:33 AM »

I know how I'll teach my kids chemistry;)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
crazydoc
"Never, ever give up" - Winston Churchill "Never, ever grow up" - Dr. Seuss

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2010 04:59:24 AM »

So clever! Love this! The possibilities are endless really.

Very cool!

~CD~
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Shhhhhhhhh...it's Strictly Top Secret...
strictlytopsecret.etsy.com
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Braid Your Hair for Christmas
Model Soo Joo Park on Her Blonde Hair
Top 3 Ways to Style a Shoulder Length Bob
How to Control Frizz and Static for Fine Hair
A Holiday Hair Bow in 2 Minutes Flat
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Bird Feeder
Tute Tuesday: Rustic Fabric Pumpkins
I See London; I See France!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...