A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 302,593
Currently Running With Scissors:
719 Guests and 21 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Seaming  (Read 1751 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

BabyDoll
« on: May 10, 2005 06:58:01 PM »

removed
« Last Edit: September 09, 2009 07:36:17 AM by BabyDoll » THIS ROCKS   Logged
starlings
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2005 08:50:42 PM »

Wow. Great jacket. And the stripes will help you align the seams, which is great.
I used to hate seaming, but I've actually learned to enjoy it by approaching it methodically.
Looks like you'll be doing a lot of mattress stitch. Here's my advice as far as that goes:
  • Don't do it all in one sitting. Take breaks, don't rush.
  • Clear a nice big space on a table and lay out flat the pieces you're going to seam. Keep the pieces on the table as you seam.
  • Remember that mattress stitch is done a full stitch in from the edge. Some people get confused and only go in a half-stitch.
  • Begin mattress stitch a couple of rows in, leaving a long tail to go back and close the gap.
  • Don't pull the stitches tight after every stitch. Do it every several stitches instead and pull gently to close the seam. It should still stretch a little.
  • Use short-ish pieces of yarn for seaming - don't try to complete a seam with a single piece of yarn. The friction will weaken the yarn.
  • If you're unhappy with your work, undo it. You won't regret it.
  • As for weaving in ends, it's pretty straightforward. My method, just on of many, is to skim through the backs of the sts on the ws, splitting the plies, in a kind of zig-zag pattern. I also tend to leave a little loose end - I think it's a kind of superstition.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Lothruin
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I eat seakittens.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2005 09:11:29 PM »

Send it to me.  I'll do it.  Cheesy  Call me crazy, but for some reason I love the seaming part  I am in love with mattress stitch, could sit for hours just seaming things up.  It's like there's some kind of strange satisfaction in having a perfectly invisible seam.  I find it soothing, actually.  I've even switched several patterns from round knitting to flat knitting, not because I dislike round knitting, quite the contrary, but because I enjoy seaming so darn much.

I really recommend putting on some good music, like that NIN I see in the background there, and getting into a rhythm.  It's so structured a movement, having a good rhythm will ease your concentration a little.

My favorite method of weaving is from SnB, I think, and is basically a duplicate stitch on the wrong side.  Easy to follow the stitches in back, and works like a charm.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Find craft patterns, supplies and humor at Lothruin.com!

Find me on Ravelry as Lothruin!
8ball
Visit my blog!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2005 07:31:07 AM »

I think this may be unorthodox, but I crochet my seams together, from the inside (I think most seaming is done from the right side of the work).  I push the needle through both loops of the end stitch of each piece I am trying to seam together (or one of the loops, the one that will be on the inside, depending on how it looks), yarn over the crochet hook, pull thru all 5 loops (there will be 2 loops from each end stitch and one on the crochet hook), and then move on, pushing thru the next 2 end stitches.  I really can't complain about how it looks so far.....

Carie
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Lothruin
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I eat seakittens.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2005 08:52:39 AM »

I think that's a slip-stitch crochet seam, and it's also pretty standard.  If you're handy with a crochet hook, a lot of people will recommend it.  I seem to recall hearing on Knitty Gritty that it makes a more elastic seam.  I see it on almost every garment I've ever deconstructed for yarn. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Find craft patterns, supplies and humor at Lothruin.com!

Find me on Ravelry as Lothruin!
MamaKitty
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2005 10:23:04 AM »

I know how you feel! I learned how to knit in the round so avoid seaming a hat because my seams looked like poo!

If you like learning from books (I do) this book is always open in front of me when I am seaming. It has pictures of all the techniques done in contrasting yarn so it is really visually easy to see what is going on.

All Stitched Up: The Complete Guide to Finishing Stitches for Hand-Knitters by Jane Crowfoot.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
subloke
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2005 11:27:29 AM »

Lothruin:  When I "discovered" mattress stitch, i felt the same way!  I couldn't wait to get to the seaming part.  For me, however, the joy of seaming has faded a bit.

The crochet thing works well, but you may want to use a finer gauge yarn or even thread for it so that it doesn't bulk up your seams.  I found this link: http://www.lionbrand.com/cgi-bin/faq-search.cgi?store=/stores/eyarn&faqKey=121 from a blog entry on Chicknits

THIS ROCKS   Logged

if you can't be a good example then you'll just have to be a horrible warning.

http://yesimadethat.blogspot.com
MamaKitty
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2005 12:14:19 PM »

Also, your sweater looks like it's going to be rad so I would love to see pic of it when it is all together!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lsm
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2005 01:42:12 PM »

PIN!  PIN!

Use large safety pins to hold your pieces together, and to make sure that you've lined them up properly (although, on this one, just to hold it together).

Also, check out the video clip explaining the kitchener stitch.  Crochet works fine, but this is FYI if you want to try something different.  http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/advanced_techniques/
the clip link is at the very bottom of the page

BTW, great sweater!

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Sunny Anderson’s Quick Thai Chicken Lettuce Wraps
Here Is a Fantastic Green Bean Tempura Recipe
Quick and Easy Asian Rib Rub Recipe
Spring Naan Bread Pizzas Recipe
How to Make a 15-Minute Egg Drop Soup
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...