A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 297,023
Currently Running With Scissors:
393 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Help with Civil War-era costume  (Read 958 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

ya-yasis38
« on: May 10, 2005 05:56:47 PM »

okay so here's the deal...we're studying the civil war right now, and one of our assignments is to pick someone from that era and do a bunch of stuff on them. One of the things is a speech that we have to give, acting as the person that we are. That means I need a costume. My person is Belle Boyd (real person) who was a spy for the Confederacy, so she would be dressed as a Southern girl. I picture her as being like Scarlett O'Hara. Anyway, I need some ideas for my costume, which I need to have ready by Monday. I would prefer it not have a lot of sewing involved, because I don't have a sewing machine, and I'm not the best at hand sewing. Any lightbulbs going on? I am horribly uncreative, so I need all the help I can get.

Sarah
« Last Edit: May 12, 2005 05:47:51 PM by quarkiegirl » THIS ROCKS   Logged
marypoppins

Duct Tape Rules!!!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2005 06:15:40 AM »

Watch "Gone with the Wind".  Great source of inspiration.  But unless you have a long full floor length skirt, you might have to break down a do a little sewing. 

Basic outfit could be: long full floor length skirt (that comes to your real waist), long sleeve blouse, hat

Do you have a theater department that you might could borrow some costumes from?  Our school will help out students who need to do things like this.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Don't call it trash...I can make something with it!!!
spaz2phreek
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2005 09:07:03 AM »

Hit the thrift stores. A much too big skirt that could be belted or saftey pinned or something to fit your waist would give the skirt a fuller look that would be best. And yeah, it must sit at your waist. Puffy blouse. I'd suggest, if you get an oversized skirt and make it fit around your waist somehow, it will be bunchy. Wrap a piece of fabric a similar color to the skirt around the waistband.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craft till it hurts.
Superliminal
Universal Moral Solvent

Two turn tables and a microphone!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2005 04:53:25 AM »

I was Catherine the Great for a biography project back in the day.To make a good hoop skirt, just use an old hula hoop to anchor a more than floor length dress by folding a couple of centimeters of cloth at the bottom over the hula-hoop, then stitching it like a normal hem. The only problem comes if your hula hoop has one of those beads inside that swoosh around and make noise, but you can use a curling iron to isolate the bead and therein stop the  swooshing noise.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Obscure references are my aeroplane.
ya-yasis38
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2005 04:47:09 PM »

I was Catherine the Great for a biography project back in the day.To make a good hoop skirt, just use an old hula hoop to anchor a more than floor length dress by folding a couple of centimeters of cloth at the bottom over the hula-hoop, then stitching it like a normal hem. The only problem comes if your hula hoop has one of those beads inside that swoosh around and make noise, but you can use a curling iron to isolate the bead and therein stop the  swooshing noise.

That's a really good idea.. I'll probably do that. I took the easy way out and borrowed a dress from my bro's ex-girlfriend, so now I have a costume. Yay! Grin Any other ideas for accessories and such?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Superliminal
Universal Moral Solvent

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2005 05:43:56 PM »

Sashes! Gathered fabric flowers! Sorry, I get a bit too excited about costume accessories. F'real, though, Sashes are easy and give costumes a classy, professional look about them. I suggest decorating them based on pictures from the time period in question. Gathered fabric flowers, ditto.

!Bueno suerte!

Em
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Randommarble

My cat Marble. Make a nice fur coat?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2005 09:50:17 AM »

Hi, does anyone know how much a hula hoop with a swishy thing would cost in England, cos I would love to make a skirt with one in like you suggest, and me being totally impracticle would love the swishy thing in it. I would probably have to make the hoop removable for washing etc. but woudn't it be great if ur bored and you could just take the hoop out and start playing Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Remember: To the world you might be one person, but to one person you might be the world.

See my website for my products (will post to anywhere in UK at cost of postage and packaging). It is a little out of date due to a server crash. Please email me if you want a custom order
Superliminal
Universal Moral Solvent

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2005 01:41:28 PM »

You could always cut the hula hoop in one place so it'd still be circular. Then you could do something like this

Now that I think about it you simply make a series of snaps along the bottom of the skirt with corresponding snaps like 8 cm higher then snap the hoop into place. Granted it'd be a hassle to do, but it would solve a few problems.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Randommarble

My cat Marble. Make a nice fur coat?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2005 02:46:46 AM »

I've got some sticky velcro dots that I will probably use. i was mainly wondering about the cost of the ring, but thanks anyway
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Remember: To the world you might be one person, but to one person you might be the world.

See my website for my products (will post to anywhere in UK at cost of postage and packaging). It is a little out of date due to a server crash. Please email me if you want a custom order
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Create a Paper CD Case
How to Create Bean Bag
How to Create a Paper Airplane
How to Create Dangerous Looking Paper Airplanes
How to Make a Classic Dart
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt
More Great Crafts Using Cardboard Tubes
Meatless Monday: No Meat Lasagna

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...