A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News: Craftster Best of 2014 have been announced!  Check out the winning projects here!
Total Members: 301,294
Currently Running With Scissors:
562 Guests and 21 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Can you help me with my pattern please!!!  (Read 776 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Eleanor_B
« on: June 02, 2010 03:14:42 PM »

Hi Smiley

I'm pretty new to knitting and I recently started on a, what looked like, simple short sleeved shrug. I've just started knitting the Left Front and I've got myself a bit confused. The pattern say 'Cast off 6 stitches, Knit to last stitch, increase in last stitch 19 stitches'.

I'm not sure how I'm meant to increase 19 stitches? Is it pretty much casting on, and how would I do that 19 times in one stitch? Or is it something new and exciting I've not tried yet?

Any help would be really appreciated, I've been avoiding this shrug ever since it got a bit too difficult (a problem I have with far too many projects).

Thanks x
THIS ROCKS   Logged
LimeRiot
Image Reproduction Techniques Moderator
Miscellaneous Topics Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Sublime

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2010 05:41:04 PM »

Any help would be really appreciated, I've been avoiding this shrug ever since it got a bit too difficult (a problem I have with far too many projects).

Heh heh - I do the same thing Smiley.

Do you have a link to or picture of the final garmet? That pattern sounds a bit wonky.

It could mean bind off 6 stitches, knit to end and then single cast on 19 more stitches. It could also mean bind off 6 stitches, knit to last 19 stitches and then increase 1 in each stitch until you're at the end.

While the final number of stitches for each of these would be the same the resulting shape of each of these methods would be different.

Hmmm - what is the next row of instructions say?? That might help.

I've never knit a shrug myself but maybe some of the expert sweater makers on the board could provide better assistance.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Pinterest!
My Blog!
I'm giving away doggy bow ties on my my blog! Check it out here!
Riki
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2010 08:22:15 PM »

Without a link to the shrug, it is hard to tell, and you also don't mention how many stitches you have on the needle, but another explanation is a missing comma, i.e., bind off (or cast off) 6 stitches, knit to end, increase in last stitch, 19 stitches - i.e., the 19 stitches tells you how many you have on your needle.

If the shrug is knitted from the front and then you cast on for the sleeves, then it would indeed mean casting on 19 stitches at the end - and to do this you do what I think they call a cable cast on - you put your right needle tip between the last two stitches, pull yarn through and put it on the left needle - and then again put your right needle tip between the last two stitches (the one you already had and the one you just now increased) and again pull yarn through and put it on the left needle - you do that until you have added 19 stitches.

I hope that helps! (But a picture would really help us diagnose!)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

soozeq
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2010 09:05:07 PM »

... but another explanation is a missing comma, i.e., bind off (or cast off) 6 stitches, knit to end, increase in last stitch, 19 stitches - i.e., the 19 stitches tells you how many you have on your needle.

It's probably this - that you have 19 sts after binding off 6 sts and increasing 1 st in the last stitch.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sue
Eleanor_B
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2010 04:24:10 AM »

I couldn't find the pattern online anywhere but here's a link to the picture:

http://www.wool4less.co.uk/King-Cole-Double-Knit-Shrug-Pattern-2836_AJ38H.aspx

It's the red one on the bottom right Smiley

I should have got 24 stitches on the needle before casting off 6. So would it be increasing one to give me 19 stitches? or something else?

It's the shape left armhole part of the pattern.

I think its going to turn out that I'm confusing myself over something really simple isn't it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kjlutz
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I am woman watch me grow!

Wherever you've been, He's been there

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2010 05:36:00 AM »

i.e., bind off (or cast off) 6 stitches, knit to end, increase in last stitch, 19 stitches - i.e., the 19 stitches tells you how many you have on your needle.

It sounds like this is right, I say try it and keep going, and if you get stuck again we would be happy to help.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sometimes you get to change the world, and other times the world changes you.

Currently drowning in the sea called PhD.

Interested in swapping for I-Spy Quilt Squares and Scraps.
soozeq
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2010 07:28:27 AM »

I should have got 24 stitches on the needle before casting off 6. So would it be increasing one to give me 19 stitches? or something else?

It's the shape left armhole part of the pattern.

I think its going to turn out that I'm confusing myself over something really simple isn't it! 

It is just telling you that you'll have 19 sts left at the end of the row. Start with 24, cast off 6 leaves 18, then inc 1 = 19.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sue
Eleanor_B
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2010 02:49:21 PM »

Ohhh, that's much simpler than I thought it was going to be!

Thanks for all your help Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Become a Professional Jewelry Maker
How to Make Teardrop Chandelier Earrings
How to Make Hemp Bracelets
How to Choose a Jewelry Making Kit
Essential Jewelry Making Supplies
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Toddler Teething Cookies
@Home This Weekend: Art Caddy
Everyone needs more fiber!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...