A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,070
Currently Running With Scissors:
758 Guests and 31 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Scrabb-Hell  (Read 5292 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

suereal
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Im not crazy about reality, but its still the only place to get a decent meal-Groucho Marks

Only the curious have something to find.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: June 01, 2010 09:13:30 PM »

SO I was not really going to do this challenge.  Just not much into games is all.  But then I went thrifting and I stumbled upon an old school Scrabble board for $1.99!!  There were tons of tiles, just no Q or Z, and the board was in great shape.  The lid had a bit of damage, but for what I used it for, I think it adds character.  (DANG! I keep foregetting to take before's Tongue)

OK...so Scrabble and I are not friends.  I'm just enough dyslexic for it to be..well...Scrabb-Hell.  I have all ways been fond of the Dyslexics Untie! Tshirts and wanted to use that some where.  The handle is (as far as the internet would tell me) psych speak for fear of spelling.

The back of the handle spells my "handle"....suereal.  I used four of the tiles to support the handle on the inside of the lid, 2 for the hinge, 4 as bumpers for the front corners, one for the latch (that has a magnet and a brad to keep the lid closed...you still can't pick the box up by the lid tho...) and the rest as decoration.

I tried to turn the tiles so they looked more like patterns than letters.

The tray/stand pops off the box.  It can be used to hold little projects that I might be working on.  It's lined with what I thought was paper tape, but it's really slick on the not-sticky side so it should be easy to clean up.

My Scrabb-Hell box now holds all my alphabet rubber stamps and other alphabet stuff.  I bought a Clue game and will use that to make boxes to go in the Scrabb-Hell (I finally have a CLUE!!).  But I just got it the other day and did not have time to do that before now.  I should mention as well...I used aluminum kitchen tape to cover any cut edge.  If the edge was good, I tried to not cover them up.  I used Weldbond to glue the tiles to the box.  I used lots and lots of Weldbond to make the tile handle.  It is just tiles and glue, no other support.  All in all I'm happy with it.  It's surprisingly sturdy for just being a board and box.  And hacking it up was great therapy..... Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Challenge Vote Please--http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=431933.0#axzz2uu2i2vML
To all past swap partners....If something I made you fell apart in some way, it would be helpful to me if you PMed me and told me about it.  Sometimes, I try new things, and if they fail, it helps me to kno
little me
Little Me Crafts

Enjoy Life's Little Pleasures

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2010 10:35:56 PM »

Very creative.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

nataluna
living in the "before" picture...

strange is not a crime

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2010 08:44:40 AM »

scrabble is my favorite game and i was crushed that dh hates it.  but he *is* dyslexic, too, and also hyperlexic, so ... yeah.  i get that, now.

oh also this rocks.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

creative criticism always appreciated!
my swaps and crafts
PixieVal

There is no right or wrong, when it comes to making art. Making sure that you have fun is the most important part. -Mickey Mouse

Did he just go crazy and fall asleep?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2010 07:06:42 PM »

I love this! And I especially love that you are using it to hold craft supplies!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

AlixFrazier
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2010 08:25:26 AM »

So inventive
THIS ROCKS   Logged
LimeRiot
Image Reproduction Techniques Moderator
Miscellaneous Topics Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Sublime

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2010 01:32:18 PM »

The box itself is great but I especially love all of the words you used to represent your scrab-hell experience. So creative and fun! The way you did the handle is very cool.

Great job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mod35tBabe
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2010 08:29:51 AM »

LOVE love love the sense of humour in this. I'm not dyslexic but I always thought "dyslexics untie" was brilliant. Well done
THIS ROCKS   Logged

If you say 'plz' because it's shorter than 'please',I'll say 'no' because it's shorter than 'yes'.
41 SWAPS COMPLETE
2 IN PROCESS

~*~*Come and visit our new collaborative craft blog Hand Made-n's!!*~*~
suereal

Im not crazy about reality, but its still the only place to get a decent meal-Groucho Marks

Only the curious have something to find.

« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2010 01:11:47 PM »

Thanks everyone!  I'm really happy with the way it came out.  And it is surprisingly durable.  It went together very easily as well.  Since the game was designed to fit in the box, I didn't have to measure much.  I just found the middle of the lid, and cut it in half.  The tray is the lid of the game box, cut in half and then slid into each other so the bottom overlaps to add more floor strength.

Now I just need to keep working and get the inside boxes done from the CLUE game I bought....
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Challenge Vote Please--http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=431933.0#axzz2uu2i2vML
To all past swap partners....If something I made you fell apart in some way, it would be helpful to me if you PMed me and told me about it.  Sometimes, I try new things, and if they fail, it helps me to kno
KMOM13
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2010 08:28:20 PM »

LOL.  Very funny and nice upcycle of a board game!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Cookie Dough Bite Recipe
Chewy Peanut Butter Cookie Recipe
Chocolate-Dipped Biscotti Recipe
Carrot Cake With Cream Cheese Frosting Recipe
How to Make Raw Carrot Cupcakes With Orange Vanilla Cream Frosting
Latest Blog Articles
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: 30th Birthday Tattoo
April 17, 2014 Featured Projects
Spotlight On: Amigurumi

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...