A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 297,126
Currently Running With Scissors:
435 Guests and 15 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: My Glass Work Space  (Read 1096 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

joby560
« on: June 01, 2010 08:21:43 PM »

I was inspired by crafty gurll  when she posted pictures of her work space.  So, I did the same here.  I have the smallest house in Seattle at 700 square feet.  I have turned the second bedroom into a studio workspace.  The closet is the work area, the Kiln is in the middle of the room up on cement blocks and I use one of the glass crates for storing glass as a side table!

This is the Paragon Fusion 14 - Almost the biggest Paragon you can get that will still run on a 120V Household current.  The inside chamber is 14 inches square.  I chose a square kiln because I seem to do mostly square and rectangle objects and wanted to maximize the shelf space when firing.

I simply stacked up milk crates and laid a board over the top.  A piece of carpet serves as my cutting surface.
I bought small sets of drawers to hold small pieces of glass which have been sorted by color (Easy to access in the drawer mid project).  The space between the milk crates on the floor is a good place to store medium sized pieces of glass on their side.  I store the tubes of stringers and noodles in the holes on the side of the milk crates (See photo).  When I am done I close the door to the closet and VIOLA!  Nobody knows how messy it is.  The drawback is that it is a very small place to work- but what can you do with a 700 square foot house that has no garage?

This is a crate that a large order of Spectrum 96 Fusing Glass came in.  I still store glass in it and use it as a side table-  Rustic, but economical in the sense of using space.

This is a small wire shelf I use to store some of the slumping molds and finished projects.

The whole room is about 200 square feet- Tiny! But I have managed to make it work-
THIS ROCKS   Logged

...So...This is what insanity must be like, I thought.....and I could kind of see the appeal.
roccstarr75
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2010 05:30:56 AM »

WOW! Of course, if you can live out of the remaining 500 sqft, I'm not surprised you made 200 sqft work for a glass studio.  My studio (for sewing/quilting/everything under the sun) is only slightly more sqft, but my house is just under 3000, so I have plenty of room for everything else!  I am curious about the kiln, though, does it need to be out in the open like that?  Of course I know nothing about this, but I would have put the kiln in the closet and set up the workspace out in the room.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
joby560
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2010 03:03:03 PM »

A kiln needs a minimum of one feet of a buffer zone around it.  The kiln gets hot (1450 degrees) and it emits a fair bit of heat during a firing.  The more air that can ciruclate around the kiln, the better.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

...So...This is what insanity must be like, I thought.....and I could kind of see the appeal.
stereoette
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2010 09:03:13 AM »

joby I'm so jealous! I am considering upgrading from my SC2 to the Fusion-14.  But believe it or not, my room is only about 100 square feet and it is shared with my sewing machine and jewelers bench! Anyhow, I'm jealous!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.stereoette.com

handmade with my headphones on
Nelleke
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2010 06:24:51 PM »

Grin  Wow, you have some great ideas to store supplies in a small space.  I like the idea of the cinder blocks and the crates.  I am in the process of purchasing a kiln, my space is limited so I am thinking that I should get a table-top kiln.  I noticed you mention the paragon is this a brand you would recomend to a beginner?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
crafty gurll
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2010 09:33:49 PM »

Nice & orderly Joby!   Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

joby560
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2010 05:18:43 PM »

Nelleke,  I have only had two kilns.  Both have been Paragon.  I have been quite satisfied with both.  I ordered them from mudinmind.com  They have free shipping on many of the kilns.  Just read the programming manual for the electronic controller on whatever kiln you do get and it is bound to have great results!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

LisaEpiphany
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2010 02:15:39 PM »

Wow, that is intense. You must be very committed to the art to make it work in such a small space. Kudos!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
10-Year-Old Chef With Easy Grilling Tips For Kids
How to Make Breakfast Pancakes
How to Make Perfect Cheesy Dip
These Bacon Pancakes Will Change Your Life
Bacon, Pea, and Fresh Herb Pasta Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!
Spotlight on: Woodburning

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...