A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 304,869
Currently Running With Scissors:
628 Guests and 19 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: The Battle of the Sexes becomes FASHIONABLY ORGANIZED!!((PIC HEAVY))  (Read 5288 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

strwberrytart

Red hair, Pink dress, and rockin a Pink guitar!

View Profile
« on: June 02, 2010 12:15:10 PM »

So this challenge could not have come at a better time! My sister's 25th birthday was on May 26th and I had NNOOO idea what to get her. She likes anything to do with fashion, glitz, glam, pink, animal print, make-up, etc. The problem was that being an unemployed single mother, doing all I can to scrape by, my budget was absolutely ZERO!

About a week before my sister's birthday, we went window shopping for her b-day so that I could give mom some ideas as to what to get as well. In our local TJ Maxes, SIS found these neat animal print/pink organizers that she fell in love with. They were designed to fit into like your vanity drawer and then there was a wall organizer that had two clear pockets to store jewelry or something and a space above that was one of those picture holder things that have the criss-cross ribbons to hold the photo in place.

Anyway for a three piece set it was going to cost (before taxes) $55.00. Sorry but being the Crafter that I am, I knew that I could make them. So I went home and searched the house for objects that could be used. Because mys sis and I both have a love for all things animal print and because I adore fabric, I have tons of material to choose from. I dug out an old board game from the top of my closet and set to work.

Here are the results. Not many pics in the process:
The Game

The Components

I used the lid, the board, the game pieces, and the white insert. I have enough material to make-over the bottom of the box but ran out of spray adhesive so will need to do that later.
The Fabric

The pink fabric I used was really cool in that it faded from red to pink to white and then finally to black. I only needed the pink portion for this but the bits I used does show some of the fade.
The Drawer Organizers

The big one is almost done, just needs the dividers and still need to adhere the pink fabric to the center of the smaller organizer.
Measuring and cutting the DIVIDERS

I love to craft but get such a headache anytime I have to measure and cut. I prefer to eyeball it but for this situation, measuring was a necessity!
Adhering the fabric to the Game board

Because the animal print fabric was o thin, you could easily make-out the print on the box and on the board. To prevent this, I first used a piece of black cotton fabric as a backing and then the animal print. This way my sis never has to know it was a game board (unless she sees this post!)
Personalizing

As I said before, my sister likes all things glitzy and glam, so I applied one-by-one tiny rhinestones in the shape of a J for her first initial. I also hand painted the original red and blue game pieces pink and then used gorilla glue to stick them on to the hanging organizer to be used as pegs to hang jewelry on. The tips of each one and at the intersection of the ribbon pic holder on top, are more rhinestones. The hanger does not have pockets like the one in the store but it is a lot more decorative as well as useful now. I also included a beveled mirror (originally a tray to hold a candle).

Now the finished product with action shots!
The wall hanging organizer

Sis already has some jewelry on it and a pic of my daughter. She absolutely loved it all and said that the hanging organizer was 100% better than the one in the store.
The finished DRAWER ORGANIZERS!

The dividers are a bit wonky but overall I am very happy with the way it all turned out. Sis loved them. And I still have the bottom of the box to make one more large organizer if she needs it.

Total investment: $0.00
A happy 25th Birthday: Priceless!

Comments are most appreciated!
« Last Edit: June 02, 2010 12:48:19 PM by strwberrytart » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Just wondering...Does crafting cause more stress than it relieves?

My Wist List: http://www.wists.com/strwberrytart
PixieVal
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

There is no right or wrong, when it comes to making art. Making sure that you have fun is the most important part. -Mickey Mouse

Did he just go crazy and fall asleep?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2010 02:00:59 PM »

Way to save money and make a great gift!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lacey0828
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2010 02:47:28 PM »

Awesome job!!! That turned out really good. It's amazing how much they want to charge for some items, and look, it didn't even cost you a dime Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

strwberrytart

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2010 03:21:15 PM »

$0.00 is my favorite price! I think it all turned out well and my sister thinks they rock so all parties are happy! Thanks so much for the comments and don't forget to vote!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

jemimah
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2010 03:44:45 PM »

Well done you! It's so great that your sister appreciates your creativity - I think a hand made gift is always much nicer than something mass produced, but so many people don't get it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

TallTXGirl
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2010 07:45:46 AM »

SO cute!!
Great way to turn ideas from the store into home makes!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm from Texas but currently live in Germany.
strwberrytart

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2010 06:16:41 PM »

Thanks so much for the wonderful responses!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

tlh878
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2010 01:39:26 PM »

Gorgeous!  I love the hanging display, and the boxes are great too.  A good contrast between the pink and the animal print.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make an Avocado Mask for Dry Hair
How to Make a Quick Homemade Hair Mask
How to Get More Body for Your Hair
How to Get Knots Out of Your Hair
How to Get Face Framing Curls for Your Hair
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Easy Tile Coasters
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...