A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 304,766
Currently Running With Scissors:
544 Guests and 20 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Ideas for a Crafting Party for those not so "crafty"  (Read 1010 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Honeybelles
« on: June 01, 2010 06:26:33 PM »

I'd like to plan a crafting party, but alas, most of those I know are not into art/ craft hobbies. I've thought about homemade lotions or something simple like that. Any tips or suggestions for a cool inexpensive way to get some people open to being crafty and creative? Scrapbooking is not something they're into.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Smiley Everyone could use a little more sunshine! Smiley

www.honeybelles.etsy.com
Abbeeroad
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Liberal Tie-Dyed Tree Hugger

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2010 10:33:51 AM »

haha, my friends and I do "craft night" about once a month and have a similar problem.  We have quite a range of abilities.  One friend went to art school, one friend has absolutely no real interest in crafting, and the other two are somewhere in the middle (that's where I am -- interested but not super talented).  I will tell you some things we did, if it is beneficial...if not, that's cool too!

The first craft night we did friendship bracelets.  It was pretty successful, and everyone had something to take home that night.  Other relatively successful crafts were tie-dying (bit messy, and don't see final product right away), mosaics -- this was actually super fun and everyone actually did it (we did it outside as well, which might be nice as summer is approaching), pumpkin carving at halloween time (only two of us carved), knitting (I wasn't into this one, but everyone else LOVED it -- we did it for 2 craft nights), silk screening (was a disaster...tried to rush things and only one silk screen came out -- really need overnight drying time), paper crafts - card and book mark making (this was fun -- just glue, paper, cardstock, and some creativity), Pakastani style food (one of us is Pakastani -- her recipes needed to be shared!), and our latest was quilting/sewing (I made one quilt squre).  I'm hoping to get a soapmaking craft night going by the end of summer, but again, there is some wait time involved in that (and $$).  Stamp making did not drum up enough interest.  We also were thinking of doing cake/dessert decorating, and crocheting.  Some have def. been more successful than others, but we really use the time as an excuse to get together and have fun.  And there's always wine involved which helps grease the wheels of creativity, haha.  Usually, at least one of us almost always sits out, watches, and just enjoys the wine.  But, I'm sure you could have just as much fun without.

I hope some of these ideas are useful to you.  We utilize the local thrift store and our own craft stashes to keep the cost down.  Best of luck and HAVE FUN!!!   Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Honeybelles
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2010 11:43:48 AM »

What great ideas!
I'll definately be trying some of those. It is hard when not everyone is at the same "creative" level but its not really about the finnished product anyway, I just want us to have a fun time. Thanks for reminding me of that. Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Smiley Everyone could use a little more sunshine! Smiley

www.honeybelles.etsy.com
nikimac

28 and life to go

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2010 01:10:20 PM »

Those are really great ideas.  I'd also add to the list jewelry-making (with memory wire and packaged beads, it's really simple), plus Sculpey, shrinky-dinks (#6 plastic take-out containers & Sharpies & scissors are all you need), and I definitely second making food treats!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I love planning parties - come to me if you need any ideas!
JulieOZ
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2010 10:37:04 AM »

I don't remember the exact process, yopu could prob do a search online... tye dying with Sharpie markets. We did it with kids outdoors wasn"t too bad... white socks & t's let the kids choose 2 colors & they wrapped the rubber bands around the clotihng. clored between the bands. then sprayerd with rubbing alcohol & water.  I forgert what else was inovled  but the finished shirts & socks were pretty cute.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
dogwoodbonsai
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2010 10:58:43 AM »

You mentioned that they're not into scrapbooking...but what about collage art?  It's simple enough and the cost is low.  Grab some old magazines and books plus cardstock, glue, markers etc.  The collages can be any size...from poster size to ATC size.  Postcard size is fun too and very usable.

Have yo ever heard of Zentangle?
http://zentangle.com/about-what-is--1.php
It's something that all skill levels can do and doesn't take a lot of supplies.

Sock puppets or sock stuffed creatures.  There are books on making these.  Everyone can bring a few lone socks to re-purpose.  Supplies; buttons, thread and stuffing.  I think this one sounds like a lot of fun.  I've seen some of the books for these and the instructions are pretty simple.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Artist Hong Yi Explains Her Flower Portraits
Embellished Totes For Earth Day
Repurposing Cans Into Ribbon Covered Vases
How to Make Recycled Bows
Creating Hanging Votive Candles
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Pea, Potato, Leek, Mint Soup
@Home This Weekend: Create a Spooky Yard
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: Featured Artist Katrina Polacek

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...