A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 299,157
Currently Running With Scissors:
484 Guests and 17 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: V-neck empire waist tank: with pattern!!!  (Read 3211 times)
Tags for this thread: pattern_included , tank_top  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

yarnhag
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« on: May 14, 2006 04:54:53 PM »

Hi there!  Thanks for taking a peek -- I designed this myself:

Aah, life with a toddler... not a bad pic considering... ;-)

This is knit with super-cheap Red Heart 1-lb ball of acrylic... bite your toungue!  ;-)

It was originally supposed to be a sleeveless turtleneck, but the turtleneck just looked all wrong, so I ended up holding my breath while I did my first ever steek, based on a quick explanation how to do it from my LYS lady.  But then I didn't know how many stitches to pick up along the neckline, so I just fiddled around with crochet until I got something that worked out alright.  I think it's okay, but I'm not really thrilled.  For one thing, it's a little small.  I wanted it to be very fitted in the top, but I think I would have wanted it longer in the top.  And I'm not sure what I think of the ribbon bow at the front, but I don't know what else to do -- I tried tying it off to one side and at the back, but I didn't like that.  I'd like to avoid the bow, but it needs to be pulled in tight somehow in order to keep the knitting stretched down so the empire waist is where it should lie. 

I also find that the shoulders are too narrow... I guess there's not much to be done about that at this point.  I'm thinking that my best bet is to give it to a smaller friend, or put it in my "sell at a craft show" pile. 

If I make another bigger one, how do you think I could change it to make it better?  I'm looking for advice on shoulders, sleeves, neckline, etc.

[adding later....]
Golly, everybody, you make me feel so proud (that's what I was counting on!)... okay, here's the pattern, more or less... I've never written a pattern for other people before!  THis is exciting... message me if you don't understand it! (if you use it, PLEASE post your pics here, and include instructions for any variations you might make -- and don't be mean and sell the pattern or evil bunnies will haunt your dreams forever, and it would hurt my feelings, besides!  I use a lot of free patterns, so feel it is my duty to provide one for free, even if I could maybe sell it instead and make a buck.  Share and share alike -- that's what the 'net is for!)

Materials:  
1.  big ol' ball o' yarn (the stuff I used was what I call "heavy worsted") see above for more.  I didn't use the whole ball... it looks to me like I have enough left to make a pair of mittens, at least!
2. knitting needles. I think I used 4mm?? 4.5mm?? I dunno.  I made this a pretty tight fabric.  If you want a bigger top, use a bigger needle.  I'm sure it will work well unless you're WAAAY bigger than me.  Because my fabric is tight tight tight, I dont' think I could knit it with a smaller needle to size down.  You skinny people will have to figure out your own thing (heh heh heh... revenge of the curvacious!)
3.  tapestry needle, crochet hook, ribbon, etc.

Guage:  
on mine, 16 stitches and 27 rows = 4 inches.  (I'm not convinced it has to be exactly this for this pattern, a there aren't any sleeves to line up, not a lot of shaping, and you're gong to be knitting to length mostly anyhow!)  Feel free to use a different sized needle to change sizes.

To fit:  ummmm... well, me.  I'm about 33 inches under the boobs and 38 around the boobs with a sports bra on.  definitely use your bra wearing measurements if you plan to wear a bra!  My top is quite tight across the boobs and looser in the skirt part (my waist is about 32 inches).  My finished measurement: about 33 inches around in the top part.  see?  fits tight.

Okay.  so here's whatcha do:

BACK:
longtail CO 72 (you've got 70 stitches plus a selvedge stitch on either end)
purl one row.
work some lace for 8 inches (you can use any lace pattern you like, but make sure the repeat is 7 or 10 or 9 or 3 or 5 -- multiples of 70, here, folks!):  
row 1 and all odd rows: k1, *k1, yo, k2, k2tog, ssk, k2, yo, k1 repeat from * to last sitch,  k1. (you can use any lace pattern you like, but make sure the repeat is 7 or 10 or 9 or 3 or 5 -- multiples of 70, here, folks!)
row 2 and all even rows: purl.
after 8 inches, work 2 more rows stockinette.

eyelet row: k1 *k1, yo, k2tog repeat from * to last stitch, k1.

work in stockinette 5 inches (if you're a buxom beauty like me, you'll probably want to make this 5.5 or maybe even 6 inches... I'll make it 6 for sure if I make this again!), ending with a pulr row.

shape armholes: follow the instructions here to make your decreases one stitch in and you'll get an edge that won't have to be finished!
BO (Bind Off) 4 stitches at the beginning of each of the next 2 rows (64 sts).
dec 1 st at each end of every right side/knit row 6 times (62 sts): k1, k2 tog, k to end.
mark the end of that bit.
work in stockinette for 4.5 inches from marker, ending wiht a purl row.
BO 4 sts at beginning of each of next 2 rows: k1, k2 tog, knit to end.
BO 3 sts at beginning of each of next 4 rows (29 sts left): k1, k2tog, knit to end
BO remaining sts (or put them on a holder if you want to use them for a collar!  I didn't, because I did crochet around to finish)

FRONT:
work as for back.  if you're clever at it, put in a v-neck when you start the armhole shaping or a little before and tell us all how to do it. If you're not so clever, you're gong to steek it like I did (remember this was originally going to be a turtleneck... you can make it a turtle: make the front the same as the back, sew the seams, then put all the neck stitches on a small circ or dpns and knit the collar from there).

To make the v-neck:  
1. find and mark the centre of the front, level with the bottom of the desired v-neck (mine is level with the beginning of the armhole shaping.)
2. use a ruler and a marker to draw lines from the centre front point you just marked to the edges of the left-over stitches (the 29 that would have gone on waste yarn to make a turtleneck).  You've just drawn your neckline.
3.  drag out your sewing machine, and sew a zig-zag stitch along the line you drew.  Don't worry about matching the thread, because it won't show.  I went over my stitching a second time jsut to be sure.
4.  cut out the v-neck -- make sure you don't cut your sewing off!  The stitching will still be part of the sweater front, not part of the triangle you have cut out!

Finishing:
sew the shoulder and side seams.  
with a crochet hook, work 2 rounds single crochet (that's double crochet for you Brits out there! -- the one where you go through the fabric, yo, draw a loop through, yo again and draw through both loops on the hook) evenly around the neckline -- decrease at the tip of the V on your second round!  I had 82 stitches when I was done.
do another 2 rounds of single crochet around the bottom of the lace part.
Weave a ribbon through the row of eyelets -- Leave it long enough to tie in a bow, or cut it shorter: I love the idea somebody posted to tie it on the inside or to put snaps or a hook and eye on the end of the ribbon once cut to your chest measurement.  Opinions on how the bow looks vary.  Use your own crafty judgement!
Block.
Finally, take a picture of yourself in your nice new top and post it here for all to see!  

There you go, folks!  Enjoy... and let me know if there are any problems...
« Last Edit: July 06, 2010 08:06:08 AM by SevsOnlyGirl - Reason: fixed photo » THIS ROCKS   Logged

mayerlove
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2006 05:05:07 PM »

i think it looks GREAT as is.  Smiley but if you're not comfortable with it.....
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~I believe that my life's gonna see the love I give returned to me!<3 XOXO Johnnay!
flyingmouse29

you want me to what? knit? ok!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2006 06:09:57 PM »

i think it looks awesome! i agree the bow is a little wonky.. maybe if you shorten the ribbon? but i love it and i want it... Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.wistfulplying.blogspot.com - blog
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
http://www.ravelry.com/people/Flyingmouse29 - friend me on ravelry!
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
starlight1221
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2006 06:20:58 PM »

I love it, absolutely love it.  I want one.  You've gotta figure out what you did and post a pattern. 

What you could do about the bow, I'm not sure if this will work or not since I've never done it, but maybe while you're wearing it, tie a loose knot (not one so tight you can't undo it but not one so loose it comes undone) and just slide the knot inside the shirt.  Or, maybe, they sell those plastic clippy things that adjust your bra straps at Joann's, maybe just make the ribbon into a bra strap configuration so you can loosen it to take it off and tighten it when you have it on, and the clippy thing can just be behind one of the swatches of fabric between the eyelets...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
evysmom
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2006 06:57:53 PM »

I really like that!  I've just start Lelah, and I'm thinking of making the top similar to what you've done.  It's really pretty.  And I love the ribbon tie just the way it is.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
juliesnider

So excited to be a month old!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2006 07:46:18 PM »

I really like it, I would absolutely wear it!  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"When I'm old I don't want them to say of me, 'She's so charming.'  I want them to say, 'Be careful, I think she's armed.'" - G. Stoddart
loisgriffinwannabe
The knitter formerly known as Cutieknittahfairy...

Happy!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2006 12:11:07 AM »

I love it the way it is, and I would love to make it. I have been looking for a pattern like this for ages. I hope you can remember what you did!

Looks great on you! Emms  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

cnp71201
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2006 05:56:28 AM »

I love it, too! I think it looks perfect as it is. If you decide to do a pattern for this, I'll make one.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm crystalnickel on Ravelry!

Visit my blog at http://cnp71203.blogspot.com/. It has a little of everything... well, most things!

http://www.wists.com/cnp71203
xcriot
Don't mind if I do..

MMMbop, It's like an addiction.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2006 06:54:03 AM »

Mabey you could tie the ribbon on the inside?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

If these walls came crumblin' down
Fell so hard, to make us lose our faith
From what's left you'd figure it out
Still make lemonade taste like a sunny day
princess76
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2006 07:03:21 AM »

I think that is very flattering on you.  A really cute variation would be to add cap sleeves.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Nina Sankovitch on the Book That Changed Her Life
Cassandra Clare on the Book That Changed Her Life
Isla Morley on the Book That Changed Her Life
Why We All Love the Number 7
Laurel Braitman on When Animals Go Mad
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Japanese Shibori Dyeing
@Home This Weekend: Embellished Guest Towels
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hostess Gift

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...