A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 297,187
Currently Running With Scissors:
336 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: fun fur question  (Read 1674 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

skittermagoo
« on: March 08, 2004 08:06:31 AM »

I have a question for all y'all out there who have knitted with Fun Fur:  is there a trick to making all the "fur" come out on one side?  Or is it not an issue?  I'm getting ready to make the cat bed from Stitch n Bitch, and have never used fun fur yarn before . . .

Thanks!  
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Please check out my new blog site:  www.skittermagoo.com
jpants
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2004 11:02:48 AM »

I made the cat bed and did not have any problems with the fun fur coming out one side or the other.  it's pretty much equally shaggy on both sides.  
THIS ROCKS   Logged
skittermagoo
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2004 11:09:52 AM »

I made the cat bed and did not have any problems with the fun fur coming out one side or the other.  it's pretty much equally shaggy on both sides.

Thank you!  I've had trouble finding fun fur yarn in "good" colors in my area, so I was able to buy *just enough* and didn't want to waste any on trial and error!

Cheers!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

knittykat
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2004 11:23:12 AM »

Yes, and it is hard to rip out so you don't want to have to rip out a trial-and-error piece if you don't have to!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
deliriousdream

doo doo doodly doo

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2004 12:19:06 PM »

i think the stitch pattern really influences which side the fur ends up on.  i found w/ lion fun fur that the purl side of the stitch gets furrier.  so in seed, moss, or gater stitch, the fur is going to end up evenly distributed.  i think the cat bed is all in garter stitch, so that should be fine.  

i made an ipod cozy w/ some fun fur & cotton yarn in stockinette stitch, and all the fur ended up on the purl side, so i had to turn it inside out!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
knittinkitten
50's housewife with a tongue piercing

A girl can never have too many scarves...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2004 09:52:50 AM »

i made an ipod cozy w/ some fun fur & cotton yarn in stockinette stitch, and all the fur ended up on the purl side, so i had to turn it inside out!

Actually, I just finished knitting a purse on circulars, and the fur stuck out <b> a lot</b> on the stockinette side.  Funny.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

deliriousdream

doo doo doodly doo

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2004 10:26:10 AM »

Actually, I just finished knitting a purse on circulars, and the fur stuck out <b> a lot</b> on the stockinette side.  Funny.

fascinating!  were you using the fun fur?  maybe different yarns act different...or maybe i just knit all crazy!  i think i knit tighter than i purl, so maybe that smooshed all the yarn out on the reverse stockinette side?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
knittinkitten
50's housewife with a tongue piercing

A girl can never have too many scarves...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2004 07:10:24 PM »

fascinating!  were you using the fun fur?  maybe different yarns act different...or maybe i just knit all crazy!  i think i knit tighter than i purl, so maybe that smooshed all the yarn out on the reverse stockinette side?

Yeah I was using fun fur, but I was also knitting it with Lamb's Pride worsted which might make a difference.  And since it was on circulars, all I was doing was garter stitch (but it comes out in stockinette).  Plus I felted the sucker, which I think coaxed a little more of the fun fur to stick out. But before I did so, it was pretty furry on both sides.  Who knows? Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ice
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2004 10:47:49 PM »

There are eyelashes out there that are shaved on one side. For some reason that makes them stick out better when knitting. *shrug* Lane Borgasisia's Duchess and Baroness are one of them.

If you don't mind the extra work to give stuck eyelash the lift it needs, take a small knitting needle and coax it out.

I wish you much luck, and many kitty snuggles in you bed!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
skittermagoo
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2004 07:13:07 AM »

I wish you much luck, and many kitty snuggles in you bed!

Thanks!  My one big fear is that I will make the kitty bed and it will turn out fabulous and that neither of my cats will use it!

Cheers!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make a Shadow Puppet
How to Create Puppets Out of Wood
An Easy to Follow Guide to Puppet Making
How to Create an Owl Puppet
How to Create a Turkey Puppet
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...