A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 302,158
Currently Running With Scissors:
395 Guests and 2 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Using Miracle Grow to patina copper  (Read 5241 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

crazydoc
"Never, ever give up" - Winston Churchill "Never, ever grow up" - Dr. Seuss

View Profile WWW
« on: June 01, 2010 02:40:04 PM »

My goal is to add a darker patina (preferably not the greenish/bluish, but more the darker brownish) to this copper bracelet I made last week:

I've read that one can use Miracle Grow (the plant food) to add patina to copper pieces.

I'm looking for advice as to how to do this properly. I have the MG, but I don't know exactly what to do with it.

If not the MG, are there any other easy/cheap methods for adding patina to a small copper piece? If so, how is it done?

TIA,
~CD~
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Shhhhhhhhh...it's Strictly Top Secret...
strictlytopsecret.etsy.com
Bakeneko
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2010 04:19:47 PM »

You can use household ammonia. Dap it on a let it sit over night exposed to air. The more you add the more crystals will grow but hey will be flaky so just a bit.  I would not use fertilizer because it has other unneeded chemicals in it. There are also other  things you can get at a paint store if you want. PM me if you want to know more. I love patina so have several methods. Some get blue some get green.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

skeptis
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2010 05:30:23 PM »

omg really miracle grow?! I'll have to try it! The reason it might work is that it's basically minerals salts (synthetic fertilizer are just that) and using a brine solution is sometimes used to add a patina. It might work but then you could also try salt water or plain vinegar. Just use a paint brush to brush the solution on. It might take several weeks to get the color you want though. Once you have the color you want you basically just rinse away the vinegar or salt off to stop the oxidation.

I wouldn't suggest ammonia since it will give it a blue/green patina instead of just the dark brown you want. You might be able to do it if you leave it in for only a few minutes but it still might be too black/blue.

I've had success using boiled eggs for brass (which is an allow of copper and zinc) so it might work for copper. I just boil eggs until the yellows are solid. I would get a tupperware container large enough for a couple of diced eggs and the bracelet leaving enough room so they don't touch. I cut a couple of eggs in quarters, eggshells and all,(while still hot) to expose the yellows and put them in the container with the bracelet and close the lid right away. Check on it after 5 minutes or so to see how dark it's gotten and continue until it's the right shade. If it's still not dark enough and the eggs have gone cold just put the eggs in the microwave to get them hot again.

good luck!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

punkin1028
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2010 08:22:44 PM »

There are alot of really good patina recipes on Bsueboutiques.com. As far as the egg I have done that and had great results didn't worry about the warmth of the eggs either. The sulfer in the eggs is what does it. Good luck
Gweny
THIS ROCKS   Logged
bookstorebabe

Girl Genius! Kaja&Phil Foglio

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2010 01:36:34 PM »

I never would have thought to use eggs. Nifty.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"If you're going to go for tech that doesn't exist,think Willy Wonka,not Hoover!" Firefairy@craftster
<a href="http://StudioLTD@etsy.com.>StudioLTD"</a>| Couponcode CRAFTSTER 10%
<a href=https://www.etsy.com/shop/HipsterHive?ref=shop_sugg>HipsterHive</a>|
http://www.pinterest.com/studioltd6
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Prevent Ribbons from Fraying
How to Keep Bows and Tags Undamaged
How to Make a Sword Out of Foam
How to Make a Black Cat Costume
How to Make a Werewolf Costume: The Body
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Creating a Travel Journal
Eggs? Eggzactly!
Meatless Monday: Kale Yeah!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...