A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 298,065
Currently Running With Scissors:
560 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: permanent decoration for my room-dia de los muertos ofrenda/memorial (pic heavy)  (Read 1912 times)
Tags for this thread: day_of_the_dead , dia_de_los_muertos , ofrenda  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

lullababy
« on: June 01, 2010 12:55:16 PM »

Heya,
When I moved back to my parents' house I was determined to redecorate my room to be less high school looking (I'm 25, haha). I'm obsessed with La Dia de los Muertos/Day of the Dead, and decided to put together a permanent altar/ofrenda memorial to loved ones in my family that have died. At first I was obsessed with working at it, but eventually that wore off and I just continued to add to it rather slowly for about a year. I'm finally content with how it looks and want to show it off! I had made sugar skulls, but they started to rot, so those are no longer there...

this is the complete view--sorry my humidifier got in it, haha!

another view without the candles lit

I bought the patch and the crocheted flowers on etsy...I wish I remembered the seller's names.

a better view of the patch

the tippity top with a frida kahlo portrait (my favorite mexican artist homage) and a calavera sculpture made by a mexican artisan that I purchased at a local imports store

a wooden skeleton and a picture of my late grandmother

"los esposos" cut-out designed by me, and a picture of my late uncle underwater

my uncle. Also a good picture of the candle holders I purchased from that same imports store. I believe they're from Peru.

a really great picture I found of my late grandfather

the other skull cut-out I made

Thanks for looking!

THIS ROCKS   Logged
humboldtcherry

Marching to the beat of a different accordion

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2010 01:17:56 PM »

The picture of your Uncle is great! I love the shrine!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Wulf
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Smalltacular is bestter.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2010 01:37:11 PM »

This is lovely! I've been working around (not exactly on) an ancestor shrine of my own for the last year or so, and it's great to see somebody else's. What got you obsessed with La Dia de los Muertos in the first place?

Wulf
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mouseatethekitty
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2010 02:15:01 PM »

I love Shrines, and I love yours for being so extra colorful it has a lot of personality! The picture of your uncle is awesome Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lullababy
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2010 02:47:40 PM »

Thanks everyone!
I really like that picture of my uncle as well and always have. He was a really fun guy so I chose that to reflect his spirit which I read that in Mexican culture is a big part of honoring the dead, especially in this holiday.
I'm not sure where I got so obsessed with Dia de los Muertos, though for a while I simply loved sugar skulls. One day around Halloween I was asking around this town I shopped at a lot where I could find sugar skull decorations, and they told me to check out the imports boutique place I got a lot of little things for this from. It's called NOMAD in Cambridge, MA. They carry a lot of folk art, and I started reading a lot about it, and I love it. I want to visit Mexico for my birthday one year and stay through Dia de los Muertos which usually falls about 4 days after my birthday. Unfortunately Mexico isn't too safe right now Sad
I plan on celebrating day of the dead this year, and making offerings and everything haha, I even have copal incense. I think it would be really cool to organize a local community altar if there isn't one in RI yet.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Celebrities Hit the Beach in Their Bikinis
Top 10 Ways to Wear a Little Black Dress
Top 8 New Year’s Eve Looks for Any Age
Top 3 Ways to Wear Nautical Stripes For Fall
Christmas Day Style Tips
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things
Meatless Monday: Pea, Potato, Leek, Mint Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...