A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 302,602
Currently Running With Scissors:
697 Guests and 30 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Totoro hand-painted t-shirt!  (Read 13605 times)
Tags for this thread: t_shirt , totoro , painted , featured_project  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

sophieangele
Two-headed girl

lacing fingers through the notches of your spine

View Profile available for personal swaps
« on: June 01, 2010 09:40:56 AM »

Hello,

I've been doing a lot of fabric painting lately to while the hours away, and this is the latest:

And up close:

It's done on a tshirt I thrifted, I thought I'd give it a better home.

I also did a little totoro drawing on the back to spice it up a bit:

close up:

Hope you like it, c&c welcome! Also, I'm actually looking to trade it if anyone's interested. It's a a European 36, US 2, UK 6.

« Last Edit: June 01, 2010 09:45:00 AM by sophieangele » THIS ROCKS   Logged

gamemom42
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2010 10:07:02 AM »

I want it!  I'll pm you about a workable trade.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

eternal.abyss
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2010 10:45:11 AM »

Wow, that's a very detailed (and gorgeous) painting! How long did it take? It's really beautiful Wink. Got a question - what kind of paint did you use? Was it special fabric paint, or acrylic w/ textile medium, or something completely different? Anyway, you paint very well!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Sammo6661Deth
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2010 10:48:53 AM »

That's crazy amazing, the details are great!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My blog: www.kurowonderland. blogspot.com

"Only the insane equate pain with success"

どうか酷い夢だと答えて欲しい
どれだけ叫び 悶え 苦しめばいい
Painted_lady
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2010 11:44:47 AM »

thats gorgeous!  Grin Grin Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
FriendlyNeighbourPsycho
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2010 12:24:33 PM »

Oh my god your so talented  Shocked!!!! Awesome, awesome job!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Dai-chan
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2010 12:42:52 PM »

That is so incredible it looks fake!

What kind of paint did you use?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Avian Flight
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2010 02:57:19 PM »

wow, great work! looks like a color copy!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Wists
eula.wordpress.com - updated frequently! (food and bento)
ceevee
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2010 04:50:15 PM »

The painting is beautiful!  You're very skilled.  I can't get over the tree branch; I just keep staring at it and thinking, "Wow, that looks amazing!"

THIS ROCKS!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sophieangele
Two-headed girl

lacing fingers through the notches of your spine

« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2010 05:44:37 PM »

Thank you everyone for your comments, I'm very pleased that you like it Smiley  It's half one in the morning here and I'm exhausted and am about to go to bed, but as people seem curious I wanted to let you know my method.

Materials: DYLON fabric paint (though actually I mixed in a bit of Plaid So Soft sometimes when I just happened to have the right colour in that and not in DYLON); black sharpie marker, brown sharpie marker, black t-shirt from thift store. Also, freezer paper for the first step.

Also, if you want to recreate this, you'll need good-quality, small brushes. It makes a difference.

First I found the picture from the film with google image searches. I then zoomed to the size I wanted, and traced the outline of the whole thing onto freezer paper, so I could create a paint base to sketch onto. I cut it out, ironed it onto the t-shirt and then sponged white paint (I used DYLON fabric paint) into the stencil, let it dry, and ironed the paint to set. I can't sketch onto black, stretchy fabric, so I had to create a base that I could use a pencil on to draw in the figures. So I used a mechanical pencil to draw the figures into the white shape, looking back to the image for reference. (the white background approach is why you can see I've painted in the black space around the tree branches on the right)

When I'd finished drawing the outline of each figure/object, I built up the paint (again, DYLON) layer by layer - large flat areas first, then adding in things like shading in later layers, finally adding in tiny details like the flower, the whiskers, the pupils of the eyes. Each layer had to dry and then be set with the iron before I could do the next layer. I really recommend this, because if you get impatient you can ruin it.

I then tackled the branch itself, which again I did in layers, and did a lot of colour blending. I used to do oil painting as a teenager and the blending technique is pretty much the same, but your window of opportunity before the paint sets is shorter. Then I let it dry, etc etc. Then on top of that, I took a very thin brush and painted in moss and so on; let it dry, then set with an iron.

Finally, I used a sharpie marker on top of the paint to add in brown bark-markings to the branch, and to outline the figures so that they looked more distinct and cartoonish. It's not exactly accurate - the littlest girl's body sort of disappears awkwardly; she's in a weird position and I had a lot of trouble drawing her body. The 'hook' branch on the right is also a bit awkward, and the wrong colour; again, I had a lot of trouble with that. I also think I should have made the skintone of the girls a bit darker. But it isn't too bad.

The totoro on the back was much easier, obviously!

It took many days in total, a bit under 2 weeks, because there is a lot of waiting between layers. I did it this way because I wanted to try something a bit more ambitious than plain stencilling, which I also do a bit of, and to go back to painting. I used to do oil painting, but it's very messy and expensive, and there are only so many uses for an oil painting. So I thought if I do painting on a t-shirt, I'd at least be able to do something with it afterwards.

Also, my trouble is that I can do very detailed, small-scale, accurate copies of 2-dimensional things that I see, but I find larger scale things, and especially transferring something 3d into 2d form, very difficult. Also, I don't really have a very creative, original mind, so painting is not really the art for me. I do things like embroidery, stencilling, etc, where you are expected to copy an image. Or painting a t-shirt, like this.

I wish now I'd taken some in-progress shots. I'm working on a frida kahlo t-shirt right at the moment, so I will go and take some photos of it now before it's too late.

Sorry, just realised how long this post is. I'm very tired and a bit incoherent. If you have any other questions, I'll do my best to answer them
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Canon XSi/450D: Set for Sports Scene
Canon XSi/450D: Set for Product Photography
Canon XSi/450D: Set for Portrait Scene
Canon XSi/450D: Set for People-in-Landscape Scene
Canon XSi/450D: Set for Panoramic Scene
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...