A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 297,507
Currently Running With Scissors:
438 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: $3.00 Thrift Store Lamp Re-Con  (Read 1279 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

cre8ivegenes
« on: June 01, 2010 09:19:10 AM »

So I had some fun over the holiday weekend. I bought this $3.00 nasty plastic, brass and glass ball lamp at Thrift World .
It has good bones but boy was it ugly but now it's beautiful. Ta Da! One coat of primer and several Coats of high gloss
silver paint and a ribbed black shade to coordinate with the ribbed glass balls. I think I'll hit it with some Crystal clear to seal it.
The before pictures are below.

You can not see in the pictures but the gold finish was peeling off the plastic base and looked really gross. There where some gooey felt pads
on the bottom that where a after thought from someone and way to big. I love Trash to Treasure!
« Last Edit: June 01, 2010 09:29:35 AM by cre8ivegenes » THIS ROCKS   Logged
zkatom
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2010 09:40:32 AM »

Oooo, very awesome!!!  I love what you did with it, much improved!  It looks soooo cool now!!!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
melissa!
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2010 12:07:16 PM »

That is amazing. I always see those old brass/glass lamps and I never thought of doing this cheap upgrade. Great idea. Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I hope we're still friends after I taser you." VM

http://www.wists.com/melishka
cre8ivegenes
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2010 12:18:36 PM »

Thank you both! I'm really into this thing right now. I've been re-doing my entire house full of stuff. Why buy new when you can re-do! LOL
I still have over 1/2 a can of primer left and over 1/2 a can of silver paint as well!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
LimeRiot
Image Reproduction Techniques Moderator
Miscellaneous Topics Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Sublime

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2010 08:47:09 PM »

Simply genius. I've been on a serious lamp hunt for the past 4 months and just can't find anything I like that I'm willing to pay for. I must check out the local thrift stores!! Your recon is better than anything I've seen in the fancy lamp shops Smiley.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Pinterest!
My Blog!

Craftster has gone mobile!!  Read the news here.
cre8ivegenes
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2010 08:49:31 AM »

LimeRiot - I know right . . . you are never going to look at a thrift store lamp the same way again! I got the idea from reading several blogs. If you do repaint remember to stuff some newspaper into the socket to protect it from paint and maybe tape off around it a bit to protect the electrical parts from getting paint on them and sticking.
Another truly awesome spray paint is ORB as they refer to it on blogs "Oil Rubbed Bronze" amazing. You can get both the Silver and the ORB in the multi-purpose paint at Lowes for around $7 (Rustoleum) a can. Totally worth it. It's a primer and paint all in one. Takes about 2 coats depending on what you are painting. It can be used on anything just about. One lady sprayed her bathroom faucets and it has remained for a year now. I'm doing all the light switches and socket covers in my house the ORB. I'm live in a older 80's style home and it will match some of the current fixtures. I love the silver nickel finish better but matching will save me money and not have to replace everything. You can also buy the regular Krylon ORB or silver nickel  at Walmart. It's fun to layer it with black or gold underneath. You can also wipe some ORB away to see some gold or silver underneath that you layered. FUN

Here is a link to one blog of a lamp this girl painted red. Looks awesome!
http://heidikins.com/2009/04/07/doin-it-myself-how-to-make-a-scary-lamp-look-fabulous/

Here is a Cloche one blogger did. I so want to do this!
http://www.houseofhepworths.com/2010/03/22/cheese-dome-turned-cloche/
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Student Snaps 19th Century Statue While Snapping a Selfie
Expensive Modern Art Thrown Out By Cleaning Lady, Confused With Trash
Willed: The Artists
A Monumental and Ceremonial Culture
Cool Art Made Out of Pop Bottle Caps
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...