A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 301,595
Currently Running With Scissors:
684 Guests and 20 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Private Screening  (Read 2661 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

narhloki
« on: February 13, 2008 08:01:45 PM »

So my best 'real' friend (as opposed to net friend) is a home cinema nut. In his old place he had a blank wall he used to project onto, but his new place didn't.

Uh oh!

LOL so I believe the exact design brief for this project was 'build me a screen worthy of mordor' with the only criteria that it be bigger than his old one.

So we went to the hardware, bought the longest pieces of wood they had (360cms) and some curtain backing and built this:

And there it's happily stood for just over a year. Last night we rearranged the room (I left at 2am he was still tinkering with the speaker wiring at 3am Tongue ) because recently he joined a home cinema forum and although everyone was pleased with the size of his screen (at first they thought it was a typo as it's 14 feet on the diagonal) apparently the 'aspect ratio' is wrong.

Quick lesson for those that aren't up with this stuff (as I would be if I didn't have a home cinema nut as a friend) a normal tv picture is 4:3, then your widescreen type tv is 16:9 but the cinema screens are designed for 2.37:1 which most films are filmed in.

So naturally he wants he's screen to be 2.37:1 ... which means it needs to be around 70 cms longer.  Shocked

So I have to rebuild the damn thing Tongue and thought I'd share the first version before that happens. Rebuilding is set down for may.

I do have a couple of questions though if anyone out there can help me Smiley Does anyone have any ideas for joining two pieces of curtain backing with a near invisible seam? See we can't get curtain fabric wise enough (150cm wide was the widest we could get) so I had to put a straight seam to get a sheet large enough. Once stretched over the frame it's not too noticeable and with the old projector it was not noticeable. But the new jector is brighter and the seam is visible. Any ideas how to minimise the seam line or make it pretty much invisible would be great!

Please let me know your thoughts.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

CohesiveChaos
CohesiveChaos.com

I've kissed alot of frogs - only found 1 prince

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2008 08:05:37 PM »

This is an absolute feat of amazing proportions.  I am in complete awe
THIS ROCKS   Logged

life is what you make it - make it art & make it beautiful
poyupop

Master Craft Disaster!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2008 10:53:18 PM »

Not sure if this would work... but could you paint the whole thing with gesso?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
queensqueeze
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2008 01:38:52 AM »

I had a tent made once to my specifications by a canvas place that did awnings, tents (der) etc so whilst i have no ideas about invisible seams maybe someone like that would have fabric that wouldn't need a seam. (This is all assuming he doesn't want to correct the width to the existing length. Yep this would mean smaller. Probably a no go huh?)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
eschewed xx
Barbara-Anna

my hands open my eyes open, and I just keep hoping

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2008 07:41:01 PM »

Could you sew it, then cover it with maybe another strip of fabric over it with the same fabric and attach it with that iron-to-fuse-fabric stuff. Wow. I hope you can understand that, I can't think in a straight line tonight.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

narhloki
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2008 06:28:25 PM »

Hi guys, thank you for the suggestions!!

Not sure if this would work... but could you paint the whole thing with gesso?

Yeah that's his thought, I'll look into that more. I wasn't sure how hard it would be to make sure the surface was smooth.

I had a tent made once to my specifications by a canvas place that did awnings, tents (der) etc

We've been looking at sourcing a larger piece, this would definately be the easiest to work with if we can find it. So far we've only been looking at curtain fabrics, we definately should look at ccanvas and tent suppliers too, Thanks Smiley

(This is all assuming he doesn't want to correct the width to the existing length. Yep this would mean smaller. Probably a no go huh?)

Oh yes smaller is against his religion!

Could you sew it, then cover it with maybe another strip of fabric over it with the same fabric and attach it with that iron-to-fuse-fabric stuff.

Smiley Makes sense to me Smiley Yes this is what I was thinking. I was a little concerned though that the glue or fusing webbing stuff may degrade and fall of over time. Sad I know so little about these things, do you think it would stay?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sweet_apple_pie
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2008 08:19:19 AM »

you can always try a set props store. i'm not sure what the exact name is, but my husband who is a film maker bought his green screen online, expensive as hell, but it's much wider then the 55" the fabric comes in in stores.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
narhloki
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2008 07:57:17 PM »

We managed to get a lining fabric with a 2.5 meter drop whench is great. The screen is done 'yeay' I just need to get some pics.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sunshinekitty1
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2008 04:07:14 PM »

This might be a dumb question but where do you find curtain backing?

I was going to suggest he look into reflective paint.  It has little glass beads in it and it makes for a better projection surface.  But you don't have to buy the expensive stuff they try to sell to home theater buffs, a cheaper kind will work just as well.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
TeriLynn
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2010 02:24:11 PM »

I'm like 84 years late for this party, but it's interesting because I happen to have this other website pulled up right now, with fabric that's 108 inches wide (274 cm) that's made for making bedsheets, I guess. And it's really pretty inexpensive, about $6/yard with $5 shipping in the US. I'm thinking of using it for a canopy thing in my yard for a party, but it might be ideal if anyone else is thinking of projector screens.

http://warehousefabricsinc.com/SHG108WHE.html

The fabric might not be as thick as you'd want so the gesso idea would come in handy there, or reflective paint.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Use Voile in Sewing Projects
Preparing and Marking Fabric for Sewing Projects
Pinning Fabric for Sewing Projects
How to Transfer Sewing Pattern Markings
How to Sew Machine Buttonholes
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Removable Fabric Wallpaper
Tute Tuesday: Candy, Anyone?
Crafty Kitchen

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...