A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 307,570
Currently Running With Scissors:
491 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Owl and Jane Austen earrings: First attempts at shrink plastic  (Read 5026 times)
Tags for this thread: earrings , owl , jane_austen , shrinky_jewelry  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

lindseykaye
« on: May 31, 2010 08:29:44 PM »

So, I have been wanting to get into shrink plastic art for a LONG time and couldn't find shrinky dinks ANYWHERE in New York City, so when I went home to Michigan I picked some up. Not that that's important but whatever.

Anyway, they didn't turn out exactly like I was hoping - they actually didn't shrink as much as I thought they would - but I think they look ok.

Owls

Jane Austen Silhouette

I have a couple questions for those shrink art experts. I draw on the "rough" side as the directions say, however, that's the side I'd like to be facing out, but it looks, well, rough. I didn't want to try sanding it because I figured it would just take the color off. Any suggestions on how to make them look more finished?

Secondly, does anyone have any recommendations for some nice shellac (love that word, hehe) to make these look really nice and finished? I used Modge Podge on these but I don't like how they have lines where I painted them on.

Thanks in advance!

« Last Edit: May 31, 2010 08:31:10 PM by lindseykaye » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Dhanyelle
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2010 08:42:45 PM »

I don't know much at all about shrinky dinks, but I think they're awesome little projects. However, I can try to help. As far as drawing on the "rough" side, is the reason why you want that side out because it will be facing the correct way? If so, try drawing your picture backwards.
As far as shellac, I would have recommended what you used, but again I've never used shrinky dinks. Maybe some sort of spray on finish would work better?

But I think these are adorable! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Dani
lindseykaye
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2010 08:49:17 PM »

Thanks Dhanyelle! I want the rough side facing out mostly for the Jane Austen earrings because it's much clearer and richer on that side. The owl pair didn't really matter.

I think I'm gonna have to find a spray finisher for these! Thanks for the tips!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lindseykaye
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2010 08:55:02 PM »

Also, I should say that another reason I'm wondering about the rough side is because you can kinda see that it's rough from looking at it. I'm not sure if I'm having unrealistic expectations with shrinky dinks, haha, but I would like it to look clear on both sides.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

aisy
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2010 09:08:27 PM »

there are other shrink plastic brands where you can use marker and they dont have a rough side so they look better. maybe you can try to find one of those? also, in nyc pearl paint usually sells shrink plastic but their stock has been shitty for about a year-not sure whats up with them
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I would absolutely love to have a personal swap! I'm interested in jewelry, soap, and anything that inspires you on my Pinterest
FacesByHaleh
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2010 09:12:30 PM »

Great use of Shrinky Dinks i've seen! Cute bats too! Thanks for sharing.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lindseykaye
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2010 09:28:17 PM »

there are other shrink plastic brands where you can use marker and they dont have a rough side so they look better. maybe you can try to find one of those? also, in nyc pearl paint usually sells shrink plastic but their stock has been shitty for about a year-not sure whats up with them

Oh thanks! I'll keep an eye out for those or maybe get some online. Yeah Pearl Paint is very hit or miss with their selection.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lindseykaye
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2010 09:28:49 PM »

Great use of Shrinky Dinks i've seen! Cute bats too! Thanks for sharing.

Thank you!  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

vampedangel14
Easily craftstracted!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2010 05:15:42 AM »

Did you get the frosted type shrinky paper? There is a transparent kind where one side is rough and the other is smooth and they turn out pretty clear when heated and shrunk. I use that kind. Also, I find it strange that your directions said to draw on the rough side. On the package I got it says to draw on the smooth side and put any color on the rough side because it will hold the ink better. Either way I don't think it matters too much.

If you go to the shrinky dinks website, you can see all the other types of paper you can get and order from them too.

Also, I love the owl earrings! <3
THIS ROCKS   Logged

crazydoc
"Never, ever give up" - Winston Churchill "Never, ever grow up" - Dr. Seuss

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2010 05:19:48 AM »

You might want to try either Future floor polish or clear nail polish/top coat as a finisher.

Good luck!
~CD~

p.s. Some toy stores carry shrinky dinks (e.g., FAO Schwarz). You might want to try that if you have any more trouble finding them in the city.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2010 06:49:10 AM by crazydoc » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Shhhhhhhhh...it's Strictly Top Secret...
strictlytopsecret.etsy.com
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Wild Animals on Your Tree
Meatless Monday: Crockpot Mac and Cheese
Handmade Holiday Gift Guide 2016: Tutu Dress

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...