A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 296,656
Currently Running With Scissors:
554 Guests and 16 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Camping gear for my 10 month old girl  (Read 634 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

I.D.ten.T error

Randy Marsh, you're my hero

View Profile
« on: May 31, 2010 02:48:32 PM »

So we took our 10 month old daughter for her first camping trip this weekend.  To commemorate her first of MANY outdoor excursions I just HAD to make her a little outfit, luckily enough I had this awsome canvas material I picked up at a yard sale while I was pregnant.

The whole outfit.  Sun hat, jacket and cargos.  It all turned out great considering that I was rushing to get it done in time for camping (I decided she needed the outfit 4 days before we left, and still needed time to do laundry, packing and other mommy duties.. lol)

Close up of the Jacket.  Its lined with a soft purple material.  Snap closure.  I did alot of stitching detail, which isn't perfect since I was rushing, but I like the way it looks from far away.  I wanted her to have as many pockets as possible.  Its big on her, so It should hopefully last the whole camping season.

The pants I'm totally proud of.  I've never done a fly before, or an elastic backed waistband, or set in front pockets.  The side pockets each have a second pocket on top of it, which I have never done either.  Theres TONS of pockets for her to fill with rocks and sea shells as she gets older.

Back of the pants. After I had them pretty much finished and tried them on her I realised that the bum barely covered her actual butt. So I had to rip it apart somewhat and add in a rise at the back (another first) so now theres full bum coverager.  I also rememebered to leave a lot of extra elastic so that as she grows I can let the elastic out, because the pants were quite huge before adding the elastic they should nicely turn into capris when shes bigger. (or if I'm feeling really adventerous, I can turn them into zip offs! )

The hat is reversable as well!  My husband thinks that the grey is too boyish so he likes the purple side for when shes not wearing the rest of the gear. 
The whole thing looked soo cute on her. And she was able to crawl around on the ground in the mud (it rained all weekend) without getting too wet, and afterwards it wasn't even dirty!  I'm tempted to make some saftey pin fishing lure "hooks" to add to the hat to make it really authentic.

C&C appreciated!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
budpiper
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2010 04:47:31 PM »

wow,wow,wow! they look awesome, so much detail. i would love to see a pic of her wearing the outfit. amazing work:)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
happyfrog
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2010 05:11:03 AM »

cute!!  if you have any canvas material left, make her a small tote bag and she'll be the happiest kid EVER!  Smiley  seems like right around 18 months for all my kids they get into the collecting 'treasures' thing in their tote bags.  around 2 - 2 1/2 they start filling pockets. ..   *grin*

love the outfit!

you didn't say what size the outfit is - only that she has room to grow.  since it's not on her, hard to guess what size you made.

beautiful work.

bettyann
mommy to three young kids - 6,4,2 and we camp every 3 months - have been doing it for the last 17 yrs and the kids have always camped - never knew any other way to 'vacation'.  . . Smiley 

ooh - one last suggestion - esp if the clothign is intende dto be outerwear - use the spray silicone you use on your tent for waterproofing to waterproof the outfits.  rain will bead up then - still fully washable.  we ALWAYS camp in the rain. . .just inevitable for us. ..

the silicone stuff is what i use for extra waterproof-ness of diaper items, actually.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.answeredprayers.aboutmybaby.com
mommy to three amazing children on earth!  Smiley
happyfrog
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2010 05:11:50 AM »

just realized - the pic in my avatar on this board IS of my 2 boys when they were 2yrs old and 9 months camping.  *grin*
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I.D.ten.T error

Randy Marsh, you're my hero

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2010 07:59:55 AM »

Thanks Smiley

I'm not 100% sure of the size because I made the pattern myself, but I based it off of one of her current 12 month old button up hoodies and nine month pants, although before I put the elastic in the waist on the pants was over 24 inches and her waist right now is 17 so theres lots of room to grow.

A matching bag would be so cute, but the material is all gone, I was lucky enough to get away with putting cuffs on the jacket lol (which was the last thing I did, I actually hand sewed the arm bands on while we were driving out)   

I may try to take some better pictures of it, but I wont be putting action shots up because we've decided not to post her picture on the internet. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
happyfrog
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2010 09:46:02 AM »

i understand about not taking pics of kids.. . . me, i'm ok with it.  esp since we're in public places a LOT and i know people are taking pics of my kids - i've seen them - but legally they can do that. . . sigh. . .

the outfit is adorable!  and if/when yo u have more kids - can pass it on down the line. Smiley

bettyann
mommy to three kids - all avid campers!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How To Create a Fake Tattoo
How to Use the Filter Bar in Lightroom 2
How to Integrate Lightroom 2 with Photoshop.
How to Use Keywords in Lightroom 2
Portrait Retouching with Photoshop Elements - Sample Clip 3
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...