A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 297,180
Currently Running With Scissors:
653 Guests and 21 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: My third decorated cake, the first tiered one: IMG OVERLOAD!  (Read 1263 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

alhrayth
« on: May 31, 2010 12:45:42 PM »

So, my friends and I had a big BBQ yesterday, and I was in charge of the cake.
Chatting on MSN with a friends in the weeks prior the party, we got to develop this idea of a quite crazy cake that started with the figurines I made for a cake I made during the Olympics (http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=339305.msg3928841#msg3928841 this one), we wante to recycle them because the "guy" of the duo was supposed to come to the BBQ and we wanted to let him see his portrait, LOL.
Then we decided it needed to include the pink stuffed rabbit that is their mascot, and a chicken sitting on a beer can (long story), and a guy selling flowers.... (because one tormented us trying to sell us roses at the last dinner out we had, he kept coming every 5 mins and it turned in a little inside joke).. all as little figurines I made out of a sugar paste.

SO: Overall view - the first tier is green, to mimic a lawn.... the second is lilac only because it's my fave colour, and the beer can is yellow... because I had white and yellow marshmallows and so that's the color that my fondant took, and I didn't change it.

the chicken sitting on top of the beer can, and you can see quite nicely the little sugar paste white and pink daisies I made...

close-up of the guy selling flowers, and you can glimpse the  mascot peeking from behind the beer can

close up uf the mascot

the back of the cake, with the mascot laying down (note its little tail decorated in tiny sugar balls) between the rose-seller and the skaters...

close up of the skaters, with the green lawn, little flowers, and the tiny lilac ballas I used as a border to mask the junction of the two tiers

reaction of my friends

then we took down all the figurines

separated the tiers (the holes are where I inserted plastic drink straws to give a little support to the tier above)

the first tier was a chocolate cake with chocolate/raspberry filling

the second tier was a vanilla cake in three layers, with a cream and strawberry filling

the "beer can" was a chocolate cake (a different recipe from the firts one) with cream cheese/cinnamon filling

the cake was quite a hit with my friends, and after I posted it on facebook I got asked by another friend to make a cake for her birthday party this weekend... and the weekend after that we're planning maybe another party and I hope to recycle these figurines once more.....
THIS ROCKS   Logged
pinokeeo

Best of 2013 winner, but this is just as good.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2010 12:59:34 PM »

You're gonna be busy.  It's an awesome cake.  I can see why you are suddenly in demand.  Well done.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

pjherbert

He is such a little stinker!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2010 02:03:54 PM »

I am watching Cake Boss right now... you could go to work for him! Very nice.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

gardenofnoise
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2010 07:40:46 PM »

Great job! I love the detail.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Mableheartscharlie
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2010 11:27:33 AM »

Super cute! I guess sugar paste can keep forever in the freezer haha (I was a little discerned at first Im not going to lie haha)S o you didnt use buttercream or anything between the layers? I guess if you were going to separate the layers it doesnt matter

How did the guy like it?

Also I like how you use coloured marshmallows instead of colouring your fondant :] (The smurfs made me literally LOL
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm one crafty bitch.
alhrayth
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2010 12:48:20 PM »

Super cute! I guess sugar paste can keep forever in the freezer haha (I was a little discerned at first Im not going to lie haha)S o you didnt use buttercream or anything between the layers? I guess if you were going to separate the layers it doesnt matter

How did the guy like it?

Also I like how you use coloured marshmallows instead of colouring your fondant :] (The smurfs made me literally LOL

Thank you to everyone!

ooops I had not thought (yet) of outting the sugar figurines in the freezer... if that's what you meant... I am kind of afraid of the defreezing process. As of now, they're stored in their individual plastic box, wrapped up in some tissue paper, all stored in the coolest part of the house...  They need to survive one more cake at least!!

Yes, one more cake because at the very last minute the guy had to pull out of the BBQ and so I haven't been able to show the figurines to him yet! So we have to plan another party and I have to figure out a way to incorporate the figurines in another cake design for that...

There was nothing between the layers to keep them together (which were assembled on site, not at home, because I was terrified of the travel!), as I had planned of dismantling the cake before serving it... in fact, the lilac cake and the "beer can" even had a cut-to-size cardboard base (the ones made to hold cakes) to make 'em more movable!

I did add a bit of colour to the fondant to get the shades I wanted, but the coloured marshmallows gave me a head start on the colour, instead of having to start from a white base and build up the intensity!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
3 Red Carpet Looks for Less
Check Out the Sexiest After-Party Gowns from the Golden Globes
Tips For Shopping Like a Pro
Johnny Wujek Shares His Prom Style Tips
Worst Dressed at 2014 Golden Globes
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...