A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 296,695
Currently Running With Scissors:
841 Guests and 31 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Glamorous Glitzy Birdhouses with Instructions!  (Read 1464 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

thepeculiarpalette

www.thepeculiarpalette.com

View Profile WWW
« on: May 30, 2010 12:09:36 PM »

Attract the classiest birds in town with these colorful, sparkly birdhouses! What bird could resist living in these fine accommodations?

These houses were especially fun to make because not only did I get to go crazy with my paints and glitters, but I also found new uses for some old scrapbook embellishments that never made it to my books!

Supplies Needed:
  • Small wooden birdhouses (I found mine at Joanns)
  • Sandpaper
  • Acrylic paints
  • Paint brushes
  • Palette knife
  • Various scrapbook embellishments Scrapbook.com http://www.scrapbook.comhas a good selection)
  • Thumbtacks
  • Weldbond glue (available at Michaels or home improvement stores)
  • Designer Dries Clear adhesive from the Art Glitter Institute http://www.artglitter.com/
  • Assorted glitter from the Art Glitter Institute http://www.artglitter.com/(I used ultrafine transparent in Chrysalis and ultrafine opaque in Cornflower)

Directions:

1. Lightly sand your birdhouse if needed.

2. Apply one color of paint onto the birdhouse using a paintbrush and let dry. Add other colors until you are satisfied with the design. I used a palette knife to apply several colors at one time because I like the bold designs that get created this way. You can choose to do this, or follow the more traditional method of using a paintbrush for all colors. Let dry completely.

3. Add various scrapbooking embellishments to your birdhouses. You can either glue them on with Weldbond glue (I like this glue because it is super strong and you dont have to worry about them falling off later), or use a thumbtack if the embellishment is meant to be fastened to paper with either a brad or an eyelet (like the flowers and the metal frames). They push into the wood relatively easily and add some extra color to the house.

4. Apply Designer Dries Clear adhesive to the ledges of the birdhouse. Sprinkle the glitter color of your choice on top of the adhesive
« Last Edit: March 14, 2011 08:13:41 PM by jungrrl - Reason: edited to comply with Craftster guidelines » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Arrange Flowers in a Wide Shallow Vase
How to Make a Votive Candle
How to Hold a Guitar Pick
How to Turn a Used Vinyl Record Into a Bowl
How to Make a Pop-Up Card
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...