A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 296,683
Currently Running With Scissors:
474 Guests and 15 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Charleston?  (Read 10474 times)
Tags for this thread: charleston  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Mienna
« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2007 05:28:02 AM »

I haven't been to the country bumpkin but I will have to check it out, there's also a fabric store I want to go to in Mt. P.

And I agree about the lack of supply stores around here, I don't really understand it. Maybe now that the AI is here more will pop up. I can pray, right? Hehehe. I almost had a heart attack when they said some hancock fabrics were closing, it's 'bout the only fabric store (other then wal-mart, and don't get me wrong, I love wal-mart and their $1 yard section) around here.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mlwl
Wist Klepto

Wheeeee!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2007 05:15:06 PM »

*CRIES* You can't be serious?Huh I need to get out there fast then! Besides, WalMart is going to stop carrying fabrics as a corporation.  I'm going to have to begin ordering everything off the internet - how lame!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Mienna
« Reply #22 on: April 11, 2007 05:52:42 PM »

Our hancock fabrics isn't closing, thank god. I didn't know they were closing all fabric departments in walmart, I thought it was still on a trial basis. I went into a walmart in FL and they had closed theirs, but I missed the sales. *sigh* I got some zippers on sale, woowoo!

I hate to think that we'll have to start ordering online, but that's what it looks like. I want a joann's to open up! That would make my day! Think if I send 20 emails a day to them they would build one just to shut me up? I'd even say they could open one in Mt. P, but I'd rather it be in Goose Creek or S'ville, hehehe.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SeeJaneSew
« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2007 03:50:11 PM »

Our hancock fabrics isn't closing, thank god. I didn't know they were closing all fabric departments in walmart

The Wal-Mart in West Ashley has a fabric department & last time I made it over there - I asked the sales associate about it & she said they are not getting rid of the fabric department at that particular Wal-Mart.

Also the Hancocks on both Rivers & Sam Ritt are staying open too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Do the best you can, then to hell with it!" Eunice Kennedy-Shriver
have2craft
« Reply #24 on: April 28, 2007 10:19:59 PM »

If y'all are up for a little drive, go down to Beaufort.  Carolina Stamper has stamping, scrapbooking, polymer clay and beading supplies.  The owner is a dear friend of mine, and I can't wait to get back to the area this summer.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~Dee~
mlwl
Wist Klepto

Wheeeee!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: April 29, 2007 03:25:26 PM »

I had a fun realization this weekend - the little bookshop on King street that used to be Boomer's Books (I don't remember its new name, sorry) has some fantastic ephemera, although it's a bit hit and miss.  I got some very cool kitchy pamphlets & postcards from the 1950s, as well as some stamps. Can't wait to use 'em!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mimiw
« Reply #26 on: May 01, 2007 12:11:03 PM »

Hello!

I am also in Charleston and was reading over this thread and thought I would throw in that People Places and Quilts has a pretty good selection of fabric (although it is a little pricey).  I love the one in Summerville but it is way too far for me to go often.  The one downtown is small, however, it is good for instant gratification and beats waiting for the mail when you order online!

Also, I was just at the Hancock's in W. Ashely and saw that a bead store is getting ready to open up next door.  Hopefully it will be decent!

Have a great day!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
boxercurl
Wist Stalker

Boxers are the clowns of the K-9 world

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 17, 2008 07:35:14 AM »

Hello fellow Charlestonians!!  I have lived here all my life and there used to be tons of craft stores around here, Piece Goods, Rainbow Crafts.  I don't know what happened. 
The bead store next to Hancocks in W. Ashley is open and it has some really neat things, the prices are not that bad either, check em out if your over that way.
For anyone that knits, cross stitches, needlepoint or anything of that sort there is a neat little store on Johns Island called It's a Stitch, it's on Maybank. 
Hope that helps someone
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I ask for so little...just fear me, love me, do as I say and I will be your slave.

Boxers are the BEST!!!
www.wists.com/boxercurl
tsugath
« Reply #28 on: February 03, 2008 05:51:07 AM »

Hey guys, I'm new to Craftster, but I've got some suggestions for ya'll. BTW- I live in North Charleston, so I'm familiar with stores in that area.

For jewelry:
Single beads, findings, pearls, - go to the Beaded Venus in Mt. Pleasant
Glass Strands, single beads, small amounts of seed beads, Findings, largest and best selection of gemstone strands in the Area- go to Charleston Bead Company in West Ashley
Glass strands, single beads, Large amounts of seed beads, cordage- Go to Gail's Beads in North Charleston

If you are into sterling silver, I would suggest ordering it from Fire Mountain Gem and Beads online, their prices are way cheaper than you will pay locally, and shipping is only $5. Of course, they also have a larger selection of findings and beads, but I like to support local stores when possible. There is an artisan locally to has really nice brass findings, her store, jlyndesigns is on Etsy.com- just use the shop local button to find it.

Fabric-  Other than the afore mentioned Walmart and Hancock's, there isn't a whole lot in my part of town. I'm currently trying to resize and restyle x-lg tshirts using ideas found on this website to increase my meager sewing skills, but time is limited.

Scrapbooking- AcMoore, Michaels, Wal-Mart and Target are my main suppliers, though there used to be a great little store located at the corner of Dorchester and Ashley Phosphate that is closed down now. Anybody else know of a good source? I'm tired of finding the same selection.

Knitting/ Crochet- I have bought all of my yarn from AcMoore and Michaels, but there is Knit on Wentworth St, and It's a Stitch on Maybank Hwy.

Felting- I bought my needles and acrylic felt from AC Moore. Hancock's carries wool felt as well as large width acrylic felt. I'm not sure if on of the Knitting places carries wool roving or not for more traditional felting technique.

Hopefully this was a bit helpful if anyone is looking for supplies.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
craftyjnet

I'll get you my pretty, and your little dog too!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: March 13, 2008 12:49:25 PM »

I live in Moncks Corner, which seems to be getting closer to Charleston every year, but I noticed the other day that someone opened already/or is opening a new beads store downtown (I mean downtown moncks corner!) at the intersection of main street (Hwy6) and Carolina Ave -- but I am not a bead crafter -- I could check it out for you -- I go by it every day on the way to the Elementary school, but you'd have to tell me what to look for.

There is also a craft store a block from it called Crafts Plus, but it is not craft supplies, just finished crafts -- I used to rent a booth in the back and sell my smocked stuff when I had time!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Get Taylor Swift’s Bold Red Lip From Her 2012 Glamour Cover
How to Contour for Your Face Shape
Learn the Trick to Get Bright Open Eyes
How to Go Nude (on Your Lips)
How to Master the Bold Lip Trend
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...