A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 297,709
Currently Running With Scissors:
478 Guests and 15 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Shrink Plastic Necklace: My puppers!  (Read 2766 times)
Tags for this thread: shrinky_dink  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

skullseamstress
Tutorial Contributor

Entrepreneur Crafter

We can't stop here! This is bat country!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: May 29, 2010 11:30:31 PM »

This is my first Shrink Plastic (Shrinky-Dink Type) project! I can't be more pleased with how it came out!

I started with one of my favorite pictures of my Miniature Dalmatian, Pixel! It's from about a year and a half ago, so he looks very slightly different, but not too bad. (He's 2.5 years old)

Then I hand traced it in Illustrator to get an outline:

And after this point, I completely forgot to take any pictures until it was done. FAIL

But I can describe it! I fed the vector outline into my Silhouette craft cutter machine, and placed my clear shrink plastic sheet in there and hit go. The torque of the blade depressor is not strong enough to cut through the shrink plastic (I ordered a new, sharp blade to test that, though, later) but it does score it really nicely.

I took the shrink plastic and cut out the shape very roughly, leaving about 1/4 inch around the actual shape.

I used sandpaper to roughen one side of the plastic, so the colored pencils would have something to grab hold of.

I printed out the image on my regular printer, and laid the shape down on it, it lined up exactly, and used this to trace the black spots and shaded areas with a black colored pencil.

Then I used a Clear Acrylic Sealer in a can to spray one coat onto the black colored pencil spots.

After it was dry (Like, 4 minutes), I used a white colored pencil to color over the black spots and the whole shape entirely. I was sure to make sure that my strokes all stayed at the same angle, and tried to make the coverage even.  (the sealer was an attempt to preserve the black spots and not smear them all to hell with the white pencil. Seemed to work! Go me! I do have good ideas once in a while LOL)

Then, the cutting out for reals. I took my #11 exacto blade, and, flipping the shape over, got to work. I could see the scoring the cutter had made, and tried to follow that as well as I could. I did a great job, with the huge exception of lopping off one of my beloved's ears.  -_-  ProTip: Shrink Plastic is slightly brittle, and somewhat trixy!  Bah, nothing a little superglue can't handle.

I remembered to make the holes for necklace-affixing prior to shrinking, but only just! I was on my way to the oven....

It shrunk SO fast. Like, 20 seconds, and it was over. The severed ear did not want to reattach, no matter how soft the plastic was. I was informed of this behavior of shrink plastic in tutes i'd read before. Ah well.

Then came the jump-ring wrangling, and it was done! I used some old beads that I loved very much, that used to be in a different necklace of mine years ago that I made (friendship-bracelet-style) and of course the floss wore down and my beads fell off it, but I kept them. So glad!

And now, MOAR PICS!

And, my money shot! woo hoo!

Bonus pic of my dalmatian fingernails:   (I'm going to a gathering of Mini-Dalmatian owners very soon, hence all the over-the-top Dal gear. ^_^  )

Anyhows, I hope this inspires some of you to try out shrink plastic as a medium for your ideas! If you have a photo that's simple enough, you can even convert your photo to a nice shrinky dink piece!  Shrink plastic is my new crafting love, and most of it is bound to be jewelry, so you're very likely to see more of my shrinky stuff here hopefully soon!

Thanks for lookin!  ^_-

« Last Edit: May 29, 2010 11:32:40 PM by skullseamstress - Reason: PEBCAK » THIS ROCKS   Logged
crazydoc
"Never, ever give up" - Winston Churchill "Never, ever grow up" - Dr. Seuss

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2010 12:01:35 AM »

Shrinky Pixel is PRECIOUS!

One other option might be to use the printable Shrinkies next time. It wouldn't be hand-drawn, but might also look cool, and could potentially save you a good bit of time.

I'm eager to see more of your creations and maybe even an action shot of Pixel herself (himself?) sporting your darling piece.

~CD~
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Shhhhhhhhh...it's Strictly Top Secret...
strictlytopsecret.etsy.com
Eleka
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2010 06:22:01 AM »

So cute!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
april again
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2010 07:21:32 AM »

That is probably the cutest doggie I have ever seen (when they are that cute, they must be called DOGGIE and not dog)..

The jewelry is very cute too!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Lady Pistola
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2010 08:08:58 PM »

Whaaaat?? This is SOOPER cute! Shocked  And Pixel! AhhH! Lovin that name! I didnt even know mini dalmations existed! I have 3 chihuahuas...not the yappy kind...but I dont think I could DRAW them! Kudos! Oh and I'm very interested in this Silhouette cutter thing you speak of. Link maybe??? Seriously though, this is amazing!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have vintage smurf sheets and do embroidery and stenciling...wanna swap?
Britters25

Not authorized to answer that, I'm a banjo player.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2010 06:24:10 PM »

First off..... Pixel, what an unbelievably cute name for such a cute dog.

Second.... I have been looking for a new way to show off my dog without being one of those "Crazy dog person" people. This might be borderline  Grin aaaand that's enough for me to want to do it!

Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Wist: http://www.wists.com/Britters23
My Pintrest: http://pinterest.com/britters23

"Night has always pushed up day, you must know life to see decay."
Onyxnox
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Crafting keeps the madness at bay. Or is it the cause?

Willing to personal swap for art of my doggies!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2010 11:32:47 PM »

What a great idea for shrinky jewelry and nice tribute to your pet!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~my blog~ - DON'T READ IF YOU ARE IN A SWAP WITH ME AND DON'T WANT A SPOILER!!!!  YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!
~my pinterest~
craftydebs

Just too busy being fabulous!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2010 01:04:22 AM »

Very nice, the likeness is spot on!  I love it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

May you be in heaven for thirty minutes before the devil even knows you are dead.- Old Irish Toast

http://wists.com/craftydebs
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make a Handprint American Flag
Combination of Color Dyes Produce Unusual Milk Art
Easy DIY Decorations For Your 4th of July Celebration
Pretty Savvy: Luxe Headband
How to Make Sharpie Tie-Dye T-Shirts
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Manicure for Halloween
"Z" is for Zombie!
Meatless Monday: Honey Roasted Parsnip Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...