A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,111
Currently Running With Scissors:
610 Guests and 23 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: King & Queen Size Blankets  (Read 3929 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

mindi
« on: May 10, 2005 12:17:55 PM »

My mom made my siblings & I twin size blankets when we were younger. I loved that thing. I used it for about 10 years or so, but than I decided to switch room colors...so my blanket didn't match anymore. So she got the yarn to make me another one. Well she made the chain to big and so after she crocheted about 2 rows she knew for sure she made it too big, so she got about half way and than stopped. She doesn't have the time to crochet. So I thought I would crochet again..(i stopped for awhile) so I practiced making a baby blanket and than I finished the 2nd half...

This is my blanket, it ended up being a king size blanket, it's really nice in the winter, cuz if I'm really cold I fold it in half and it's makes it extra warm.

Ever since I got that one done, my sister wanted me to make blankets for her boyfriends family, so I made 3 more twin size blankets, 2 lapghans, and one queen size blanket.

The Queen & Kings size blankets took FOREVER!!! With the king size, I believe 2 rows took me about 45-50 min. I know the Queen size blanket I could get 3 rows in an hour. It's a lot of work, but it's a great blanket to have for a long, LONG time.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kevl
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2005 12:35:19 PM »

Wow!  That's a lot of work.  That's an awesome thing.

What "pattern" did you use?  I assume you didn't follow one, but what I'm really asking is what stitches?  Did you crochet with a single yarn or did you double up (triple, etc)?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
skullseamstress
Tutorial Contributor

Entrepreneur Crafter

We can't stop here! This is bat country!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2005 02:02:04 PM »

What type of yarn should you use to make sure a blanket will be durable for years to come? I've been thinking about making some blankets myself, but if I'm going to spend like 100 hours making one, it'd better last for 100 YEARS!!!  heh heh......
THIS ROCKS   Logged
snowflake
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2005 08:01:47 PM »

they are nice.  but how are you going to wash such a large project?   Huh
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mindi
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2005 11:04:28 AM »

Wow! That's a lot of work. That's an awesome thing.

What "pattern" did you use? I assume you didn't follow one, but what I'm really asking is what stitches? Did you crochet with a single yarn or did you double up (triple, etc)?

I didn't make up my own pattern. I used the Jamie Baby Pompadour pattern. And just changed the length. (http://www.lionbrand.com/patterns/cja-babySet.html) Just go by 4s to increase the blanket size; I believe that is what I did. Just one strand of yarn.

To add the stripes I just did 13, than 4, than 14. Make sure your first row is 1 row shorter because you add a row in the beginning so both edges look the same

What type of yarn should you use to make sure a blanket will be durable for years to come? I've been thinking about making some blankets myself, but if I'm going to spend like 100 hours making one, it'd better last for 100 YEARS!!! heh heh......

I used worsted weight yarn. My mom used worsted weight yarn on my blanket and i've had it for atleast 10 years. Plus my mom has a blanket that was made with worsted weight yarn and she got that at least 20 years ago, if not more.  I thought the same thing about the hours. If I was going to spend that much time on it than I wanted it to last!!!! Hopefully I can use the king size blanket the rest of my life. Cool

they are nice. but how are you going to wash such a large project? Huh

Mine fits right in my washing machine. But you could always dry clean it. Which is probably what I should do with mine.

This blanket took a lot of yarn. One 8 oz skein would be 1 of the stripes, I would barely have enough left over.I used 5 skeins of the 2 main colors, and only 3 of the "middle" color. It ended up being about $30 in yarn. Shocked
THIS ROCKS   Logged
skullseamstress
Tutorial Contributor

Entrepreneur Crafter

We can't stop here! This is bat country!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2005 08:21:02 PM »

Did you use Red Heart yarn? Basically, the cheap stuff? That's totally what i'd use for such a huge project... otherwise, it'd be like $400 dollars for a blanket!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Yarn or Fabric

CraftyDeb ... reincarnated and renamed

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2005 03:37:45 AM »

I have the first project I ever made - and I did it with worsted acrylic and I just throw it in the washing machine when it needs it.  It is just a striped blanket but solely dcs... I was learning how to crochet and it just seemed logical.  I didn't even make a finishing row around it.  Back then I didn't even think to make borders around anything.  Every blanket I made back then was just like that.  I made that blanket when I was stationed in Germany - it was made in 1986.  wow.  seems like a lifetime ago.  I had been a meteorologist and worked a rotating shift - 2 days, 2 swings, 2 mids, 2 off.  It was horrible.  2 years of that and then I went to California and at least there the schedule was better and so were the people in my detachment.  I really disliked the people I worked with in Germany.  I couldn't wait to leave there!

Anyway.. I got addicted to making a thermal like blanket - sc, dc, sc, dc...... then the next row is dc, sc.. it makes a great tight stitch and looks really really pretty.  I made a few like that - all striped.  I have moved up since then... now if it isn't complicated or different in some way I hardly want to make it!  times change.  I went from something to just keep me awake when I was the only one in the tower to whatever strikes my fancy.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am collecting quilts, afghans & blankets for those that lost their homes.  Pm me!
CraftyDeb website
CraftyDeb Designs etsy
tons of sewing & quilting tutorial links[/url
danitza
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2005 03:53:34 AM »

Seeing things like this makes me want to crochet. I started when I was about 6, but never learned how to do anything more complex than a single strand.

The blankets look great, by the way. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Geek love lifts us up where we belong.
mindi
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2005 08:56:14 AM »

Did you use Red Heart yarn? Basically, the cheap stuff? That's totally what i'd use for such a huge project... otherwise, it'd be like $400 dollars for a blanket!

yes, I used red heart yarn...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Keridiana
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2005 11:48:08 PM »

holy... crap.... those are insane! hats off to you just for sheer industrousness. i have this one king size which i still haven't seamed in all the ends for.  and i started it 4 years ago.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Holiday DIY: Colorful Ornament Garland
How to Create a Modern Holiday Chandelier
Colorful Leaf Wreaths with Amy Sedaris
Decorate This Fall with Painted Leaves
2 Steps to a Gorgeous Painted Makeup Brush Holder
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Fairy Garden
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: 30th Birthday Tattoo
April 17, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...