A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 299,166
Currently Running With Scissors:
607 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: 1955 Singer Featherweight Questions  (Read 1245 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

nevarowley
« on: May 29, 2010 02:45:25 PM »

My friend is the god of garage sales and just today he bought a 1955 Singer Featherweight and is willing to sell it to me for $250.  This is, by definition, a dream come true, but I am trying to be careful with money.  I just need some professional crafters to help me justify this purchase. (Will post pictures as soon as I've purchased it.)  I also need some idea of the usages of the machine.  I would like to do clothes, curtains, and even stuffed animals, so if you have any advice on good projects for it, let me know.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2010 02:56:44 PM by nevarowley » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Miztic01
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2010 12:11:28 AM »

I have frequently seen them go for about $150 here, on Craig's List. You might not want to rush into it. I recently got one on Craig's list myself for $45. It had all the accessories, bobbin case, manual, and pedal. Works fine, needed a good cleaning. Had some chips in the paint on the edge, but not anything I can't live with, not for that price. I was recently looking on EBay and quite a few went for under $200. I don't mean to rain on your parade, but I don't think I would jump on it. I think if you check Craig's list daily and you will find one for less money.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Sew-Classic
Sew-Classic.com

Sew-Classic.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2010 08:00:05 AM »

If you liked the machine, and don't want to wait, hunt and hope for a cheaper one to cross your path, then I'd say go for it.  The FW was, and still is, a very high quality machine - heirloom quality in fact.  $250 isn't el-cheapo bargain basement pricing, but if the machine is in good cosmetic and sewing shape, it's seems fair.  If your goal is to get one for as little money as possible, then waiting and hunting is the way to go.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jenny
Blog.Sew-Classic.com
Sew-Classic                                                                Sew-Classic  
Idle Hands
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2010 09:53:37 PM »

Featherweights in my area run $200+.  A quilter friend of mine with two said they can go into the $600+ range.  IMO, if the machine runs well and has been recently in for a cleaning and tune-up I'd go for it.  If it hasn't been serviced recently check it out carefully first.  Test some fabrics through it.

As far as features, I recall my friend saying hers does straight and zig zag stitches with a buttonhole option.  The buttonhole option may require additional accessories.  If you can get the model number try a google search and you should be able to get more info.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

What would you get if you crossed a goat and a sheep?
An animal that eats tin cans and gives back steel wool.
nevarowley
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2010 03:00:19 PM »

UPDATE: That same friend of mine found a sewing machine for me that fit much more comfortably into my current budget.  It is an old DE LUXE Dressmaker and in beautiful shape.  It runs like a dream.  I'm very happy.  Thank you everyone for your help!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Miztic01
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2010 04:43:38 PM »

Happy for you, that's great.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Laugharne Festival Celebrates Dylan Thomas
Interview With Robin Ince at Laugharne Festival 2012
Interview With Simon Armitage at Laugharne Festival 2012
Interview With Simon Day at Laugharne Festival 2012
Blair Underwood on South by Southeast
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Exploding Needle Box
Handmade Gift Ideas: Japanese Shibori Dyeing
@Home This Weekend: Embellished Guest Towels

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...