A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 302,590
Currently Running With Scissors:
756 Guests and 32 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Renovating my crafts room  (Read 2924 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Miaka
« on: May 29, 2010 02:18:32 PM »

I'll finally get my own crafts room - it's a basement room in our house and it still needs to be cleaned and renovated.
I already have some ideas, but I'd like to hear some of yours  Grin

The only things I have planned so far:
~ I need a large table for cutting
~ Lots of shelves and other storing space for my fabrics and stuff
~ A couch or bed in one corner so I can use it as a bedroom for visitors when I'm not working

The ugly floor will be removed, I think we'll tile the floor. The broken walls will be renewed and painted - not sure about the colour, but it should be something light because the room has only one small window and I don't want it to look too dark.

So, here's the sad view of how it looks now...

Any ideas?

Oh, and if you want to help my raise some money for the furniture I'd be happy if you clicked the link in my signature *points down*
It's a (German) website that grants wishes with virtual currency and I'll get some currency for every click. You don't have to sign up or anything, just a click on the link is enough.
My wish is a gift card for Ikea, so I can buy some furniture xD
THIS ROCKS   Logged

animegirlie
crafty nerdy girl

just make stuff!!!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2010 03:16:23 PM »

good luck!! that space looks like it has great potential - despite it's current state Smiley I clicked your link Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

New Craft Blog - best way to contact me right now is via the bloggie Smiley

Wists are a wonderful thing!

Want a sticker?
lovesclutter
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Nothing is safe in its native form.

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2010 04:18:03 PM »

Definitely try to save those tiles if they are under the fake parquet. Those you don't find,and could be a great inspiration for colors.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have a split personality, because you guys crack me up.  AND The best day I ever had was TODAY!
Miaka
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2010 03:51:49 AM »

Thank you for your feedback!
We removed the floor, worked on the electricity and removed some more floor xD

Photos:

THIS ROCKS   Logged

lovesclutter

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2010 02:57:36 PM »

So sad you couldn't save the colored tiles. I need to pull up who knows how many layers of linoleum on my kitchen and see what's under there. LOL

You definitely have more energ.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have a split personality, because you guys crack me up.  AND The best day I ever had was TODAY!
Miaka
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2010 03:24:01 AM »

So sad you couldn't save the colored tiles. I need to pull up who knows how many layers of linoleum on my kitchen and see what's under there. LOL

You definitely have more energ.
Those tiles were linoleum, too... I would have saved them for future use, but they looked horrible. I'm pretty sure the last owner used whatever material was left for the basement and didn't work on it for 30 years or more. The room had obviuosly been used for parties some time, but that must have been quite a few year ago and after that it was storing space or maybe just an empty room.

I'm so excited about how the room is gioing to look in the end ^^ We still need to buy tiles for it, we'll probably use white (or at least in some way light) ones.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lovesclutter

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2010 07:08:59 AM »

Yes, whatever will bounce the light back up as basements are dark anyway. I'll watch your progress. Then I'll be very jealous. Cool
« Last Edit: July 05, 2010 07:10:36 AM by lovesclutter » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Miaka
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2010 02:08:15 AM »

I haven't posted new photos for a while, but of course there's some progress ^^

The wood that covers the heating pipes was painted white.

The colorful... things on the wall were probably used for storing bottles. I don't think that holes in the wall would be very useful for my craft room, so we decided to remove them.
My father removed the parts that were sticking  out of the wall and filled the holes with... erm... funny, fluffy stuff for isolation xD and mortar.
After that he worked on the walls a bit more: every hole and crack was filled with mortar so the walls will be nice and even when we paint them.

After that we painted the walls white. In this case I actually did some of the work - painting is something that even I can do ^^

My next project in the room will be the door - it's dirty and ugly and I didn't like the brown door from the start. I'll paint it bright red to give the room some color ^^
THIS ROCKS   Logged

jennyleigh

So many projects. So little time.

« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2010 03:48:28 AM »

Please keep the pictures coming!  I am enjoying watching your progress!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Miaka
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2010 12:10:05 PM »

Thank you =) The room actually looks like a room now, here are the latest photos:

Let there be tiles!
It was a lot of work (all done by my father - I was mainly cleaning again xD) and not exactly fun because obviuosly the room (or our house in general) doesn't have any right angles.
The pictures also feature our vacuum cleaner - I could have tidied the room before taking pictures, but why? We are actually working in there xD

As you can see in the last picture we also started to work on the door.
I actually wanted to paint it outdoors, but it was always raining so we decided to simply paint it in the room.
We used an old table and a lot of plastic...

...and I painted! In the picture the paint isn't dry yet.

There's still quite a large hole in a corner that has be filled and closed, but otherwise I guess the renovating part is done. Now it's time for some furniture!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Building a German U-Boat
Art Showcase: Spitfire Mk IX
Art Showcase: Avro Arrow Mailbox
Exclusive Look at Resistance
10 Bands Named After Food
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...