A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 296,379
Currently Running With Scissors:
521 Guests and 14 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 22
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Handmade Rubber Stamp Swap 3 (SIGNUP 5/29/10 - 6/24/10 ; MAIL BY 7/21/10) CLOSED  (Read 22438 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

JessySihk
« Reply #40 on: June 05, 2010 06:02:03 AM »

Dont buy Speedy cut! Michaels is likely to carry this! i hear its a crappy crumbly medium.
A really good cheap place to buy blades and handles and supplies is
stampeaz.com =]
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The craft swapping community! =] Check it out!
http://whoopdwhoop.com/

You can get my jawbone necklaces in my shop!
http://www.etsy.com/shop/CavePunker
http://www.wists.com/JessySihk
karin_

Swedish craftster!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #41 on: June 05, 2010 09:40:20 AM »

I agree, please don't spend your money on that stuff! It's sad to have spent all that time on a design and then have it destroyed because the material crumbles or dries up! Speedy carve (the pink stuff) is better, and I also really like PZ Kut. I have yet to try the Mastercarve that I bought, but I love how thick it looks!

Same goes for erasers I guess, quality matters. If they're too 'plasticky' they don't take the ink well and the image gets blurry.

I'm excited to join this swap, will get my sign up form filled out asap!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My crafty blog
My wist
would love to do a personal swap/atc swap! pm me Smiley
jexxican
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

« Reply #42 on: June 05, 2010 08:24:44 PM »

I would love to join this but I already have 3 swaps right now and that is 1 more than I told myself I would have! Let's see, the sign ups are until the 24th? I will have to have sent my MOH by then and I should be done with my Knitters v crocheters by next weekend (already have the patterns!!!) so if I get both of those out before sign ups close I will sign up for this one.

Should I mention I've never made stamps before?! I've been wanting to learn, though!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"The perplexity of life arises from there being too many interesting things in it for us to be interested properly in any of them."
- G. K. Chesterton

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life.

It's much more fun, this growing down. -RIP Uncle Shelby-
astrangeone
The Paper Alchemist

Fueled by the scent of rubber shavings....

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: June 05, 2010 10:53:59 PM »

I would love to join this but I already have 3 swaps right now and that is 1 more than I told myself I would have! Let's see, the sign ups are until the 24th? I will have to have sent my MOH by then and I should be done with my Knitters v crocheters by next weekend (already have the patterns!!!) so if I get both of those out before sign ups close I will sign up for this one.

Should I mention I've never made stamps before?! I've been wanting to learn, though!

Please do join!  It's a very relaxing craft!  Cheesy

We'd be happy to have you!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I handcarve stamps, knit and have organic catnip.

Got shopping?:  http://www.shophandmade.com/Store/Madstamps

Personal Swapping...activate d!

Looking for:  ATCs, some dry non-sanded grout mix

Got a 3DS?  I can clear save data from your games!  (Including RE Mercs 3D.)
IdlersDesign

« Reply #44 on: June 06, 2010 12:51:03 PM »

I agree, please don't spend your money on that stuff! It's sad to have spent all that time on a design and then have it destroyed because the material crumbles or dries up! Speedy carve (the pink stuff) is better, and I also really like PZ Kut. I have yet to try the Mastercarve that I bought, but I love how thick it looks!

Same goes for erasers I guess, quality matters. If they're too 'plasticky' they don't take the ink well and the image gets blurry.

I'm excited to join this swap, will get my sign up form filled out asap!

I also tried my Mastercarve today; its very soft but also very, very delicate, so I was not carefull enough, damaged a few little lines that ruined the image and had to throw it away  Cry Back to my favorite erasers... But ok, maybe its just me being clumsy, hope it does work for you!

Looking forward to receive your questionnaire  Cheesy

THIS ROCKS   Logged

`No one should do for me that which I can reasonably do for myself D.H. Lawrence

pinterest
Sarcastra

« Reply #45 on: June 07, 2010 11:38:24 AM »

Dont buy Speedy cut! Michaels is likely to carry this! i hear its a crappy crumbly medium.
A really good cheap place to buy blades and handles and supplies is stampeaz.com =]

Woah, hold up there.  I wouldn't go so far as to warn anyone off of buying any one material.  There are just too many variables than to be all-or-nothing with carving materials.  The Speedball Master-Cut is crumbly and delicate, but it is great for fine details with light pressure and if you're mounting your stamp and careful with it, no problems.  When I first started, everyone told me to get the pink stuff (Speedy Carve) or the orange, grade A PZ Kut because they were the best - and I hated both of them!  Plus, stampeaz hasn't come out with a batch of PZ Kut for over a year.  Each material is different and better suited for different levels of details as well the preference of the carver.  I'd suggest taking everyone's opinion into account and trying out a few small pieces so you have a foundation idea of what you like to carve for what.  Then you know if you prefer solid or gummy, crumbly or rubbery, thick or thin, etc.  This swap might be a great chance to swap out a few pieces of different materials you have with your partners so you can try them without a huge investment.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

astrangeone
The Paper Alchemist

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: June 07, 2010 02:26:13 PM »

Exactly.  Some people like the way some erasers carve.  (I tend to carve from erasers, big or small...)

I do like Speedy Carve for it's texture although the weight of the final piece bugs me.  (I like thinner materials, but I can't find something decent and thin.)  Crumbly bugs me more than rubbery - so I like pieces of material that are very springy.  (Whenever I buy erasers for carving, I tend to press down on them - I found some at a dollar store that fit the bill - but they are smaller!)

I found some that I like at another chain store up here.  It's not bad - but they are printed on one side which makes a double sided stamp impossible!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

karin_

Swedish craftster!

« Reply #47 on: June 07, 2010 05:29:18 PM »

I'm sorry if it came out that way, I wasn't meaning to "put down" anyone's choice of medium! I just wanted to share my experience because I have had speedy-cut pieces dry out after some time and I hear it's common. But of course trying some different ones is a good idea.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My crafty blog
My wist
would love to do a personal swap/atc swap! pm me Smiley
astrangeone
The Paper Alchemist

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: June 07, 2010 05:53:38 PM »

I'm sorry if it came out that way, I wasn't meaning to "put down" anyone's choice of medium! I just wanted to share my experience because I have had speedy-cut pieces dry out after some time and I hear it's common. But of course trying some different ones is a good idea.
It's okay.  We all have personal quirks with our mediums!

I love the work you do on stamps too!

If I finally get paid, I'm going to purchase the sampler pack from stampeaz.com  and a #1 staedtalder.  I've been carving too long with stuff that doesn't want to take my acetone transfers!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

IdlersDesign

« Reply #49 on: June 07, 2010 10:59:50 PM »

If I finally get paid, I'm going to purchase the sampler pack from stampeaz.com  and a #1 staedtalder.  I've been carving too long with stuff that doesn't want to take my acetone transfers!

Acetone transfers, how does that work?
I used to transfer with mod podge, but then a very thin layer of paper had to stick on the stamp and sometimes while carving it was damaged and my image was gone. Now I simply use pencil for transferring the image.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

`No one should do for me that which I can reasonably do for myself D.H. Lawrence

pinterest
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 22 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Create an Elegant Band Look for Curly Hair
How to Make a High Pony Tail for Curly Hair
How to Create a Side Roll Bun Up-Do
How to Create a Soft Hanging Bun
How to Make a Cute Twist Hair Style
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Melted Crayon Painting
More Art, Less Craft
Meatless Monday: No Bake Lime Cheesecake

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...