A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 304,843
Currently Running With Scissors:
449 Guests and 5 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Two skirts that I'm SUPER STOKED ABOUT! (Tut for the pillowcase skirt added!)  (Read 12347 times)
Tags for this thread: skirt , tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

lindsycarranza

Be yourself, everyone else is already taken.

View Profile WWW
« on: May 28, 2010 03:35:17 PM »

YAY!!!!! I made some skirts, the first one I'll show is my absolute FAVORITE thing I've made so far (as far as clothing goes) it turned out EXACTLY how I wanted and I CAN NOT wait to wear it! Yay for warm sunny weather! It's made from two pillow cases that I got from Goodwill for FREE Smiley they were having a buy one purple tag get one purple tag item free, yay! Onto the wonderful pics:

Now this is a jean skirt made from a pair of old jeans. The first thing I tried didn't work out so well so I call this my frankenstein skirt because it was pretty randomly put together and just happened to work Smiley

Thanks for looking Smiley

TUTORIAL!!!! If you have any questions please ask! This is only my second Tut and my first clothing Tut plus it's a drawn one which is a bit more difficult. When I find the right pillowcases to make another I'll do a step by step Tut but here's this one for now Cheesy

« Last Edit: March 20, 2011 06:53:40 PM by lindsycarranza » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Okay so once again I am completely redoing my pictures. Got tired of photobucket, the only reason I used it was for here so I decided I will just use Craftster's photo uploader. So while I am switching over my photo links will be broken. Message me if there is a post you would like the pics for.
Arbitraryorange
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2010 03:53:48 PM »

When my sewing machine does that cleaning it has always fixed the problem.  Your skirts are super cute.  :-)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lindsycarranza

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2010 04:12:59 PM »

Thank u! Ya know I've never cleaned it since I've had it. I didn't use it a lot in the beginning but I use it a lot more now. Is it hard to clean? I spray it out with an air can after each use. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Okay so once again I am completely redoing my pictures. Got tired of photobucket, the only reason I used it was for here so I decided I will just use Craftster's photo uploader. So while I am switching over my photo links will be broken. Message me if there is a post you would like the pics for.
SunflowerSmiles
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2010 04:23:42 PM »

you might want to change your needle...sometimes a burr gets in one and it could cause that.  Your tension may be off and your machine may need a bit of a tune up.

Good luck!  and keep sewing your doing a great job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

This and That... my main blog. Drop by and say "Hello!"
  Sew Stuffed a blog about the dolls and stuffies I make
    Pinterest
lindsycarranza

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2010 04:49:08 PM »

Thank You! I'll try those things hopefully it works! It's really frustrating! Part of me thinks my bobbins are the wrong size too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

zamingo
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2010 05:08:10 PM »

Your skirts are absolutely fantastic. I love the first one!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lindsycarranza

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2010 07:15:50 PM »

Thank u so much!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ReddKatt

Art is water for the soul <3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2010 07:31:31 PM »

You did a great job...even Frankie The Skirt is a winner!*G I think I have a sheet set from Goodwill that is the same as one of the skirts..haha I set them to the side to make a sundress from! Great minds and all that.

For the issue with the dropping stitches, if its on the back of the fabric its likely one of two things are happening: Something in the top has come unthreaded/out of a guide and the top tension is all wonky. Or: the bobbin thread isn't seated in the guides under the feed dogs. When it happens undo both the bobbin and spool and rethread and reseat everything. Keep scraps at hand to test the rethreading before starting on your project so you don't have to "rip" out stitches.

Hint: Keep your ear tuned to the sound of the machine and listen to what the machine sounds like when its stitching along correctly. Generally when the stitches start pulling or are off you will hear a change in the sound of the machine. The same goes for how the machine "feels" as it sews and guides the fabric. If in doubt, stop sewing and flip the fabric to do a quick stitch check. Its worth the time to stop because ripping out to redo is a major PITA. *pain in the arse.

Hope that helps a bit~
Kathie
« Last Edit: May 28, 2010 07:32:51 PM by ReddKatt » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Kathie in Maryland
Photographer, mom of 2 girls (Brenna, 16yrs & Quinn 14 mths)
~*~**~*~**~*~**~*~**~*~**~*~**~*~**~*~**~
Optimist: Person who travels on nothing from nowhere to happiness.- Mark Twain
Boo_its_Brittany
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2010 08:53:41 PM »

I really love the first one.
It looks so pro, I would have thought you bought it.
<3!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

See something you like? Check out my shop!
www.facebook.com/FrillsandChills (Don't forget to "like" Cheesy!)
www.etsy.com/shop/FrillsandChills
*custom orders welcome!*
onegrumpylilcupcake
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2010 09:22:06 PM »

that first skirt is adorable.  i love that each little button is cute on it's own.  they work well with each other as well as the colors in the skirt.  having three of them makes the skirt even sweeter.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Adobe Photoshop CS2 - How to Use the Patch Tool
Adobe Photoshop CS2 - How to Create Textures and Patterns
Adobe Photoshop CS2 - Healing and Fading
Adobe Photoshop CS2 - The Healing Brush and the Options Bar
Adobe Photoshop CS2 - How to Use the Spot Healing Brush Tool
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things
Meatless Monday: Pea, Potato, Leek, Mint Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...