A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 296,652
Currently Running With Scissors:
679 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Le Sac Nouveau  (Read 2524 times)
Tags for this thread: reusable_grocery_bag , shopping_bag  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

hat-and-bag-lady

Too lazy 2 work, too honest 2 steal, jst rt to sew

View Profile
« on: May 28, 2010 11:51:25 AM »

Hello.

Welcome to my latest completed project.

This is  Kwik Sew Pattern #3749; Bag B (on this envelope photo, it's the one on the top right)

It claims on the envelope that it's supposed to be 16"H X 18"W. I'm not certain what it's finished dimensions really are; but it looks a lot bigger than that ...  Cheesy

Here's the inside; It was supposed to have only one pocket inside, but I put two.

And, something else that I did, I sewed in the top centre a Magnetic Clasp. It holds the top shut if you're just carrying it about.

On its "maiden voyage", I used it for 2 bags of chips, a large can of Coffee, and a 2Kg box of dog treats

It carried them easily, with room to spare.
I was really impressed.

The fabric is a cotton/poly sheeting material and a poly broadcloth interior.

Comments are welcome, as always.

{Oh, FYI; the title's translation is: The New Bag  Grin)
« Last Edit: June 16, 2010 12:54:35 PM by hat-and-bag-lady - Reason: additional info » THIS ROCKS   Logged

A.T. Morel
ravenztarot
YOU WANT WHAT? WHEN? YOUR JOKING!

I <3 my rotary cutters.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2010 01:44:51 PM »

kewl Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The best stories start with "ok officer I am going to tell you what happened"

Personal Swaps. LOVE fabrics & Vintage sewing  patterns and sewing books, tea, sewing notions, books, music, tarot anything, dragons, vampires and weres.

wist list: http://www.wists.com/ravenztarot
hat-and-bag-lady

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2010 03:51:46 PM »

Thank you, Ravenstarot.

I was surprised that this bag carried those items, not because I thought it would be too small to do so, but because of the type of material it's made out of.

I have trouble trusting non-Nylon material when it comes to shopping bags. There was one that I'd made and posted, but I ended up giving it to my "Fabric Lady" because I just never trusted it.
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=311421.0 (It's the cotton/poly one, the brown one with maps on it; shown towards the end

She has trusted it for everything, including putting a bunch of cans, and bottles, and lots of other heavy stuff into it.I hadn't trusted it for much more than a couple large bags of chips.  There was no reason to NOT trust it, I had sewn it, and knew how strong the sewing and the fabric was; I just ... didn't trust it to carry heavy stuff.
 Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

A.T. Morel
Yarn or Fabric

CraftyDeb ... reincarnated and renamed

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2010 04:59:31 AM »

What a pretty way to go shopping!
I'm also a fabric shopping bag fan - in fact, I'll be buying garbage bags (decomposable) from Earth Fare from now on so I can completely get away from store bags all together.  I just despise the things and wish they would be outlawed!

I also added a link to your Morel shopping bag to my site... I'm a list maker lol.  Great tutorial!!  I am going to make some over the summer!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am collecting quilts, afghans & blankets for those that lost their homes.  Pm me!
CraftyDeb website
CraftyDeb Designs etsy
tons of sewing & quilting tutorial links[/url
hat-and-bag-lady

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2010 01:06:52 PM »

Thank you, Yarn or Fabric;

I'm glad that you like the look of this bag. I now have an "addiction" to making shopping bags.

The most popular ones are the "Morel Grocery Bag"s. I had a thought for them! I was thinking, I could take the pieces that get cut out of the bottom (The 3" Squares!) and use them as the Bag-Rack Tabs. The 3" cutout on the fold could be cut in half, then they could be attached to the corners on the top. (Where the bag-rack tabs are already, but each one with a smaller sized one on the corner... Does that even make sense?)

Purchasing decomposable garbage bags sounds sensible. I, personally, do not use re-usable cloth bags for any eco-reason. I use re-usable bags because I have a bad allergy to plastic. It makes me welt up really badly. But, I still don't use Plastic Bags, whatever the reason. So, that makes me ... an Accidental Environmentalist, I guess.

Enjoy making the Morel Grocery Bags. They're very sturdy (They won't last 500 years, like Plastic, but that only means that you can make more  Grin )
THIS ROCKS   Logged

A.T. Morel
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Your Own Matte Nail Polish
Skincare Expert Cornelia Zicu Demos At-Home Facial
Top Liquid Foundations For Fair to Dark Skin
Carrie Underwood Collaborated on Nail Polish Line
4 Must-Have Skin Care Ingredients
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...