A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 297,499
Currently Running With Scissors:
601 Guests and 26 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Pittsburgh Fabric Stores?  (Read 2712 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

justaminette
« on: May 10, 2005 09:48:04 AM »

Hi,

I'm a handbag designer from Boston and I'll be moving to Pittsburgh to go to grad school this August.  I don't know much about Pittsburgh yet and was wondering if anyone could recommend some great fabric stores to me in the Pittsburgh area.  Thanks so much for your help!

Minette
THIS ROCKS   Logged

selenium
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2005 10:37:35 AM »

If you're making handbags then I would recommend the Textile Studio in the strip district.  They have good selection and really great deals on bags full of remnant fabric, trim and leather.  Plus, they sometimes have really great 50% off sales.  They seem to happen once every month or so.

Of course, there are the regular stores like Joann's also and a few scattered mom & pop fabric stores with unusual selections.  The best independent fabric store the Fabric Place on Washington Road south of the city.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
DaisyGamgee
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2005 11:04:14 AM »

I have to be honest--I'm not a huge fan of The Fabric Place (I live within walking distance of it and yet rarely bother), but I do know they have a real following.

I *defininitely* recommend going to the Strip District, though, and poking around in the upholstery/home dec fabric stores--you'll get lost in a couple of them, they're labyrinthine and have *everything*.

What are you studying? and good lord, why in the 'Burgh?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
justaminette
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2005 12:18:30 PM »

Hi,

Thanks so much for the great recommendations.  I'll definitely check out the Strip District when I move down in August.  I'm going to grad school at Carnegie Mellon.  I'll be working on a Masters in Product Development (a combination of engineering, business, and design).  I'm excited to move to the Pittsburgh...the cost a of living is a dream compared to Boston.  If there's anything else that you can recommend about the 'Burgh' please let me know...I'm trying to find out some cool things to do while I'm down there.  Thanks again for the information!

Minette
THIS ROCKS   Logged

selenium
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2005 12:20:39 PM »

I'm a grad student at CMU right now.  PM me if you have any questions about CMU or the city.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Jacklyn2647
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2005 07:30:24 PM »

Jo-Ann Fabrics is pretty cool
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Conley
I Poke You With Sticks

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2005 08:29:17 AM »

What's awesome here is also that you can scrounge in the thrift shops like Goodwill and Salvation Army and sometimes you can score unused vintage fabrics. I believe that there is a particular Goodwill in Squirrel Hill maybe or Northside that was in a City Paper article ( I think) that has an extensive fabric collection.

There's a huge store in Greentree that sells fabric and its not a JoAnn's I forget what its called but its by the Max&Erma's. I think its called the Calico Corner or something.

We have a few JoAnn's around (I can think of three immediately within in 15 minute driving distance from my house) and of course there's Walmart ( I can think of several within a 15 minute drive of my house).

There's the strip.

There's also Southside, while it used to have a quilting store (but it may be gone now) it does have The Culture Shop which sells Batik and Sari fabric which you might be able to use for handbags.

Good Luck and Welcome to the Burgh!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Blog    http://stephieface.wordpress.com
Ravelry    http://www.ravelry.com/people/Stephieface

2/18/12 - I no longer have the directions for wrapped pens, I lost them several years ago. To obtain them for yourself, do like I did, contact DMC threads directly and ask for them.
sarchan
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2005 04:27:34 PM »

If there's anything else that you can recommend about the 'Burgh' please let me know...I'm trying to find out some cool things to do while I'm down there.  Thanks again for the information!

Minette

Hey, I live in Pittsburgh (Shadyside) and I'm an undergrad at Pitt.  Pittsburgh is a great city, despite what everyone seems to think.  There's lots of chill stuff to do.  Obviously, the Andy Warhol Museum and the Mattress Factory (an installation art museum) are cool places check out.  Like everyone mentioned, the Strip is a good place for shopping, but there are also restaurants and clubs and stuff there (although I'm onlly 20, so I don't know too much about that scene).  The South Side has a nice atmosphere; there are a few good vintage shops (yay!) as well as used bookstores and coffee shops (The Beehive is my fave) located there on East Carson St.  I can't recommend too much in Shadyside, 'cause most stuff (especially on Walnut St.) is pretty expensive and pretentious (a.k.a. Benetton, Lacoste. . .)  But Eons is a good vintage store, and the Goodwill is pretty sweet.  Squirrel Hill is worth checking out as well.  Okay, I've said my (rather long) piece.  <3 Pittsburgh.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The mosquitoes are not vampires. The moon is not your mother,
even if she is preparing for a total eclipse.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to do the Parting in a Sleek Bun Hairstyle
How to Secure Sections in a Sleek Bun Hairstyle
How to Create a Bun in a Sleek Bun Hairstyle
Creating the Rihanna Hairstyle
Putting in Hair Extensions
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...